Micro DAC Reviews?
Feb 18, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 40
knowing both are S/PDIF in a few situations I have seen Coaxial referred to only as S/PDIF and Fiber Optic as just Toslink.

for one instance SoundBlaster only mentions S/PDIF in it's manual and website. a bud at the time not knowing the difference in the two wanted to get a MicroDAC for his SB card. I being 6 hours away could not just look and tell and with it being a 3.5 connection made it difficult for him to. well, even the SB tech support contacted could not tell us anything other than S/PDIF. after several contacts from me bud and myself(with even speaking to BestBuy and CircuitCity sales) we finally came across one that could tell us it was for sure Coaxial.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Joelc87,

We do currently have several brand-new HeadRoom Micro DACs in the hands of various outside reviewers so i would expect some writing on those devices to appear soon
confused.gif

Imho, our new Micro DAC series maintains the typical HeadRoom sonic signature which is a fairly warm, smooth tonality with excellent musical detail resolution/clarity and a lovely soundstage 'openness' across the entire frequency range... The upsampling Ultra Micro DAC never fails to knock me out .... but, heck, that's just me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Listening with my brand new Ultra Mico DAC for the first time (MacBook (iTunes/Apple Lossless) - Ultra Micro DAC - Ray Samuels Audio Hornet - Ultimate Ears triple fis), and I am completely knocked out by the accuracy and spaciousness. Money well spent.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 40
My only and I mean my ONLY beef with the HR micro or ultra micro dac is that unless you use s/pdif the DAC only accepts up to 16/48. Otherwise the DAC will take anything up to 24/192. This probably isn't an issue with most but I only have USB on my older Mac. No optical or coax.

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only and I mean my ONLY beef with the HR micro or ultra micro dac is that unless you use s/pdif the DAC only accepts up to 16/48. Otherwise the DAC will take anything up to 24/192. This probably isn't an issue with most but I only have USB on my older Mac. No optical or coax.

Mmm... I thought up-sampling is only available in Ultra.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm... I thought up-sampling is only available in Ultra.

This is input rate, not upsampling.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 40
Can someone post a comparison between the older, battery powered MicroDAC's and these? I am considering making the upgrade. Also, I was wondering what my older battery powered one would go for as it seems to be kind of rare to be able to find a standalone portable dac at this point as they are discontinued. I guess I just want to know the price of replacement versus the quality of replacement. Thanks everyone.

Apr 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone post a comparison between the older, battery powered MicroDAC's and these? I am considering making the upgrade. Also, I was wondering what my older battery powered one would go for as it seems to be kind of rare to be able to find a standalone portable dac at this point as they are discontinued. I guess I just want to know the price of replacement versus the quality of replacement. Thanks everyone.

Also interested in a comparison between the 06 and 07 micro stack.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the Micro Dac do 24/192 or 24/96?

The Micro DAC will do 24/192 but only in S/PDIF. USB accepts only 16/48.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the Micro Dac do 24/192 or 24/96?

It'll lock to those.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #26 of 40
If someone(tyll included!) wants to send me a newer MicroDAC or Ultra MicroDAC I could review them against my 2006 portable MicroDAC and my good friend's overture(yeah remember those?). I feel like in a thread asking for MicroDAC reviews we should have more than 0 reviews.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #30 of 40
I've been comparing the 06 versus 07 regular. So far they both have very similar signatures; the 07 sounds a bit more detailed with better separation of notes. Bass is also cleaner/tigher to my ears with the 07. I almost want to say I prefer the mids and treble of the 06 for female vocals.

Overall they are both great DACs you won't be displeased with either.
Sorry I'm not a pro-status reviewer but I hope this helps a little bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back