Micro Amp from Red Sound?
Apr 17, 2003 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mirkot

New Head-Fier
Did anybody try it?

It was used by Etymotic people during last CES show. I am curious how does it sound.

Link to product is here.

micamp2.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 12
on the website there is instructions on how to use it. It says that you connect it to your amps headphone out.

Think Boostaroo...

May 3, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 12
I have owned this HP amp for about 4 weeks now and am very pleased with it. It has fantastic build quality (solid steel, powder
coated case), two very nicely positioned (freqeuncy wize)
tone controls, very, very nice sound quality and is battery powered. I am still letting the unit break in along with two new headphones that I recently purchased. I will post a
review shortly. Seeing that Etymotic was demonstrating their ER6 canalphones at the CES 2003 using the Red Micro amp
I would venture to say that you're well above Bosteroo
territory. Dont let its cheap price fool you. so far I'm very impressed. Review to follow shortly.

4fatcatz

May 4, 2003 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 12
VERY interesting. BTW, Red Sound Systems also has a headamp called the "Micro BPM" which has a built in BPM meter.

Oh...........I love the Red Sounds "Theme Song". I am listening to it right now!
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 12
I've been using this amp for about a year now. It has been extremely useful for DJing as I can turn up the headphone monitor bass thump without turning up the volume. I'm hoping someone could tell me how the sound compares to other popular headphone amps (Corda, META, Gilmore, etc) as I haven't heard any others. It's worth mentioning that if you buy this in the US, it doesn't come with an interconnect cable OR power supply. I had to purchase an 18V transformer and a cable from Markertek, which brings the total cost to around $100.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 12
My Red Sound Micro Amp has no deep bass (confirmed with both a low ohm headphone in parallel and strait into Rightmark Analyzer as a line-in) and hisses with every headphone except the ER4S. Can anyone else confirm this? Red Sound says mine must have been defective. If it's not and the design just does that, I'd be surprised Etymotic Research would have used it at CES without testing.

Anyone still have a Red Sound they can test? Am I testing it incorrectly? Is a Y-adapter with the line out on one end and the iPod earbud on the other a sound method into the Emu soundcard for Rightmark? I would think if it even does it with just a strait line from the Red Sound's jack into the Emu and no headphone in parallel, it must be accurate. Never seen a headphone jack not able to handle just running as a line out until now.

Even my Edcor 2020 with the L/R channels swapped AND the +/- polarity swapped on each channel AND its high noise floor doesn't have a problem like that. Heck I give a pass on the Edcor's hiss due to the fact it's like a couple times more powerful. And the polarity issue can be remedied by using the minus components from the Emu's balanced outs. Of course, for the channel swap you just swap the cables. So it's at least useable, even though the design is totally bunked. Other than utility monitoring purposes, the Red Sound would seem worthless as a hifi headphone amp if this roll off is real in practice.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Congrats on being able to count. Personally, looking back 7 years gives me a warm feeling.

Yeah, it'd be a nice change if people stopped creating threads on the same topics on this forum. That, with the sheer number of posters, can mean a thread gets moved to the >2 pages, never to be seen from again, within minutes of posting. And from there it's "good luck" getting any replies.

I'm also hoping one of the original people on this thread still has a Red Sound they can test with Rightmark.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 12
LOL, I saw the title of this thread and thought to myself...wow I remember owning one of those. Then I scroll down and find one of my posts from 7 YEARS AGO!

This is not a very good amp (it had some power but was not very refined) and it's purpose is to amp a headphone out on a DJ mixer which is already amped. I wish DJ mixers had a cue line-out.

May 3, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 12
My ppd9000 and Biamps have cue line outs. This amp sounds the same from either the rear or the jack. With a Rightmark sweep, it shows no low end even without a low impedence load and just running as a line out from the Red Sound jack to the computer for the test. It's certainly not a Boosteroo and can go very very loud. I'd even say it's quite refined. But with a lot of hiss and no deep bass on any headphones, I find it difficult to understand why Etymotic would use it. Anyone else still have one they could test with RMAA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back