Michigan Spring Meet-Up 2013 (APRIL 20TH @ MSU KELLOGG)
Feb 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #211 of 334
Hey All!

I've been lurking on here for a while, trying to learn all I can about this new-found interest of mine.  I'm a new owner of LCD-3s and a Schiit Lyr.  I'm still trying to work out the DAC situation, but I'm currently considering throwing my XDA-1 from Emotiva in the mix. 

In any case, I'm very interested in coming to this meet up, although I'm obviously new to all of this.  Is this just a casual gathering of fellow head-fiers, bringing equipment for everyone to experience?  If so, I'd love to be a part of it!

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #212 of 334
Quote:
Hey All!

I've been lurking on here for a while, trying to learn all I can about this new-found interest of mine.  I'm a new owner of LCD-3s and a Schiit Lyr.  I'm still trying to work out the DAC situation, but I'm currently considering throwing my XDA-1 from Emotiva in the mix. 

In any case, I'm very interested in coming to this meet up, although I'm obviously new to all of this.  Is this just a casual gathering of fellow head-fiers, bringing equipment for everyone to experience?  If so, I'd love to be a part of it!

Yep, you hit the nail on the head.

The last one was definitely a good time, and more people are going to show up to this one, so it should be a blast!

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #214 of 334
Quote:
Hey All!

Welcome and congrats on the new purchases. keep us updated on the system and choice of DAC. And on a different note, keep me updated on the Maggies!

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #215 of 334
Quote:
Welcome and congrats on the new purchases. keep us updated on the system and choice of DAC. And on a different note, keep me updated on the Maggies!

Haha, thanks!  They're getting auditioned today around 5pm, so I'll keep you posted.  I want to hear how this emotiva sounds in my system, as I might look for a new digital pre-amp for my 2-channel rig instead of getting a desktop DAC for my headphone rig...we shall see.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #217 of 334
Quote:
Well, almost ready to order the LCD2s. I'm seriously considering having them hardwired by Robert with his Zeus cable from AphroditeCu29 site, but maybe not in time for the meet. I'ma think it over. I'll also be posting impressions if they don't blow my mind so much I forget. I'm not really sure what to expect as the denon bass when tightened is amazing. 

(Also, go see Django Unchained if you haven't. Most entertaining movie I've seen in years.)

Don't think about it and do it. I have tried both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 with the Zeus and it really makes a difference specially in the LCD-2. It opens them up and tightens up the bass so IMO you get better bass and better clarity 1n the sound.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #218 of 334
Quote:
Don't think about it and do it. I have tried both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 with the Zeus and it really makes a difference specially in the LCD-2. It opens them up and tightens up the bass so IMO you get better bass and better clarity 1n the sound.

Mostly it comes down to funds and time. I will do it because I know what to expect from the cable as it seriously opened up the Denons in the best way possible. Part of me doubts it, thinking I'd just forgotten how they sounded during the week or two of recabling by Robert. But they sound so incredibly clean on every single thing, which they did not before. So yeah, I will. (Thanks for pointing me to Robert btw. I only found him because you pointed me in the right direction.)

Time to whore myself out for cash I guess... 
o2smile.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #219 of 334
I know I said I would do this a week or so ago, but I will be revamping the OP to have a more concise form-factor.

Life got in the way, unfortunately...
Quote:

Mostly it comes down to funds and time. I will do it because I know what to expect from the cable as it seriously opened up the Denons in the best way possible. Part of me doubts it, thinking I'd just forgotten how they sounded during the week or two of recabling by Robert. But they sound so incredibly clean on every single thing, which they did not before. So yeah, I will. (Thanks for pointing me to Robert btw. I only found him because you pointed me in the right direction.)

Time to whore myself out for cash I guess... 
o2smile.gif

Do it! You know you want to. This is Head-Fi afterall; the more you wait, the more you spend 
wink_face.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #222 of 334
Quote:

If I do it, it bumps it into the hd800 price bracket...

I don't even know what each option is supposed to do... too many options.

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #223 of 334
Quote:
I don't even know what each option is supposed to do... too many options.

Are you talking about the differences between cable sizes? Well, I'ma do a plug for Robert: http://aphroditecu29.com/Zeus/OCC_Copper_Headphone_Cable.aspx . Go here, click on the quad 22 button of your choice, send in cans, wait a week, receive cans, rejoice! (wallet cries) 

If you want to know more, just wait for the meet to compare koopa989s d2000s and mine. I'll even try to revert some mods back to stock so only the cabling is different, if that is desired. I'd only take about 4 minutes to flip it, so...

I would also emphasize to not re-cable until everything else is taken care of. Invest in better equipment first, as a re-cable isn't going to make a head phone bake you a cake. It doesn't alter the general sound signature but emphasizes all that is good. Think of it like turning off a fan you didn't know was there. Or increasing bandwidth to the point where a fuzzy tv image becomes noticeably clearer. 

(Rant over)

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #224 of 334
I am still thrilled to be going to the meet-up but, unfortunately, I will not be coming with a Centrance HiFi-M8 as it will not ship until a couple of weeks after we get together. Too bad, I really wanted to hear some of the nicer headphones with that DAC/Amp.

Can't wait to meet you all, I'll try and pick out some good music to bring along.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #225 of 334
I just finished overhauling my PRO/4AAA. Changed cables, redid the damping, and even converted it to open-back. It was impressive before; now it's phenomenal. I fixed almost every gripe I had with it. 

If I could bring the treble up without EQ, it would almost sound like a mini-HD600. These old drivers are capable of a lot. Really excited to give others a chance to try it, these are an old gem that deserve some recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back