Michigan Spring Meet-Up 2013 (APRIL 20TH @ MSU KELLOGG)
Feb 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #181 of 334
Quote:
Sorry for the double post, but I have a few questions. Someone earlier mentioned about putting their gear at a table, does this apply to everyone? Do you put your gear at a table then walk around? Or is that only if you have a amp or other setup? I just have M-100's and RE-262's which all work out of an ipod or other setup so I really don't need a table. Would I bring my stuff with me and just walk around then? 

Haha sorry total head-fi meet noob here guys 
blink.gif

I suppose it will depend on how many people we have that bring mid-high end setups (which seems to be a lot).

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #183 of 334
Sounds like a plan. I'd love to be there. 
Ill bring my wa6se, HP-P1, LCD 3's, edition 10's, t1's, pfe 232's, and a pair of miles Davis tributes just for fun.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #185 of 334
I love iem's but you have to have a perfect fit to get the best out of them and you're constantly adjusting. 

I'll bring a few bags of extra eartips but I'd suggest everyone bring their own for trials.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #186 of 334
I was hoping to be able to just walk around with my player and plug into various DACs, amps, etc for the high-end setups. Maybe plug a headphone or two into my device directly.  Would that be fine?

I should probably see about getting an amp of my own for my table, I'm sure the Dragonfly won't be enough for most cans; the SE-700 in particular. It's loud enough at home, but the noise level in the room will be much higher than I have here.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #187 of 334
Takato14 just make sure you have a 3.5-3.5 cable and possibly some adapters. Also remember that you can't plug headphones directly into a DAC, and most players don't have USB host mode so can't support a DAC that way. Also, a lot of players don't have true line level voltages. The iPod classic only gets up to .7 RMS instead of 2 volts, so you might need to crank the volume on an amp to get to kistenable volume. Cranking the volume might cause the amp to clip due to insufficient voltage or current. This can be damaging to both headphones and amp. So it would be a good idea to carry multiple ways to listen to music, like an external hard drive or something. Personally, I've rock boxed my iPod so I can eithergo from iiPod lod or just connect the iPod as a source. Also my phone has host mode but it isn't big enough for flac storage.

As far as iem goes, I'd love to try some custom iems despite an incorrect fit. For universals, I've been looking at west one 3, um3x, swhere se535, and ultimate ears 900.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #189 of 334
Quote:
I was hoping to be able to just walk around with my player and plug into various DACs, amps, etc for the high-end setups. Maybe plug a headphone or two into my device directly.  Would that be fine?

I should probably see about getting an amp of my own for my table, I'm sure the Dragonfly won't be enough for most cans; the SE-700 in particular. It's loud enough at home, but the noise level in the room will be much higher than I have here.

You should get an Arcatron amp from this eBay liquidator I bought mine from for $25!

Mine came in the mail today. I can let you know how it sounds if you want.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #190 of 334
I'm ok with my system being A/B'd, I'll bring a crappy RCA to 3.5mm adapter for the amp-in stage. The Kellogg also has quiet a few adapters itself, but nothing headphone centric like 4-pin xlr. (Some of our xlr is mogami too, although I'm not too familiar with what that means for quality)

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #191 of 334
I decided after all to keep the AD2000X.  I made a rather amateur mistake of not bending the headband enough to fit my head so the earpads sit flush to my ears.  It sounds much better now and I'm really hooked.  I'm also trying to work with the HD-800 seller to see if he'll let me split it into 2 payments.  If so, I'll have both at the meet 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #192 of 334
Quote:
Takato14 just make sure you have a 3.5-3.5 cable and possibly some adapters. Also remember that you can't plug headphones directly into a DAC, and most players don't have USB host mode so can't support a DAC that way. Also, a lot of players don't have true line level voltages. The iPod classic only gets up to .7 RMS instead of 2 volts, so you might need to crank the volume on an amp to get to kistenable volume. Cranking the volume might cause the amp to clip due to insufficient voltage or current. This can be damaging to both headphones and amp. So it would be a good idea to carry multiple ways to listen to music, like an external hard drive or something. Personally, I've rock boxed my iPod so I can eithergo from iiPod lod or just connect the iPod as a source. Also my phone has host mode but it isn't big enough for flac storage.

As far as iem goes, I'd love to try some custom iems despite an incorrect fit. For universals, I've been looking at west one 3, um3x, swhere se535, and ultimate ears 900.

My player has a full-fledged USB-HOST port, which is why I said that. It has a proper line out as well via the EXT connector on the back of the unit

I also know what a DAC is. Please don't talk to me like I don't know what I'm doing. I was just checking for any outcries for me running around plugging my big scary PocketPC into their expensive equipment
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #193 of 334
Quote:
I decided after all to keep the AD2000X.  I made a rather amateur mistake of not bending the headband enough to fit my head so the earpads sit flush to my ears.  It sounds much better now and I'm really hooked.  I'm also trying to work with the HD-800 seller to see if he'll let me split it into 2 payments.  If so, I'll have both at the meet 
smily_headphones1.gif

Great news, I was a bit bummed when you were gonna sell the AD2000X, and the HD800 is the main headphone I've been looking at for quite a while. I hope you get it.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #194 of 334
Quote:
Quote:

You should get an Arcatron amp from this eBay liquidator I bought mine from for $25!

Mine came in the mail today. I can let you know how it sounds if you want.

Would love to have a brief description. I'll be waiting for a PM.

Oh dear. Triple post. Whoops. /so ashamed

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #195 of 334
Quote:
Great news, I was a bit bummed when you were gonna sell the AD2000X, and the HD800 is the main headphone I've been looking at for quite a while. I hope you get it.

Yeah, I feel kind of silly now that I almost sold them because of something so simple.  The headband is pretty stiff though and takes a lot of force to actually change the position.  Looking forward to comparing them with Wotts' W3000ANV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back