Michigan Meet (Detroit Area) 06/18/2011
Jun 19, 2011 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40
Yesterday's Michigan Meet was outstanding!  We had a very impressive array of gear to hear at the meet, but, as at most good Head-Fi meets, the best part about it was the great bunch of people who showed up.

It's late, so I'll have to post my impressions and photos here later today.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 40
Don't want to steal Jude's thunder, so I'll hold off on my impressions until Jude gets us rolling, but I just want to say up front that that meet was the most fun I've had in YEARS, and it was an absolute blast meeting you all, and getting to hear pretty much all my dream phones.  I'd do this every weekend if I could
beyersmile.png

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 40
Dev (and everyone else), by all means, please do post your photos and impressions!  I've got some Father's Day stuff to do today, but will be posting mine as soon as I have a chance later today.

(And, Dev, it was great meeting you yesterday--thanks for coming in all the way from New York for the meet, man.)

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 40
Was awesome to meet you too Jude, and everyone else.  Really amazing experience; so glad I made it out (despite Laguardia's best efforts).  Hit me up if you're ever in New York!

Ok - my photography skills are about nill, and I saw Charles taking a lot of photos, so alas I do not have good pics to share, but here's my initial brief thoughts (got to leave for my flight in 10 minutes, so more later).

First off, it needs to be said that the Dark Star is a beast.  It's ridiculous.  The sheer amount of power, and dynamics and control it was capable of with my K1000s was just breathtaking.  When Ray put on the 1812 Overture through his Boulder CD player (which was quite possibly the most beautiful source I have ever heard), the cannon shots literally felt like they were hitting you in the chest.  It was so real, and so immediate, and yet so effortlessly controlled, and detailed and defined.  Running my own first album through it, which having mixed and mastered myself, I know the sound characteristics of very well, it was just right.  The tonal balance, the stereo spread, the placement and depth of the sound-stage: everything was as it should be.  It's hard to form complete impressions from a single listening session, but the Dark Star may well be the best solid-state headphone amplifier I have ever heard.

The Stax SR-009s, however, were for me the closest thing to headphone perfection I've ever encountered.  Immersive, lush, rich, natural - just purely and truly musical phones.  I was not aware it was even possible to marry that kind of detail and extension with such a musical, non-fatiguing, engaging presentation.  The Woo Electrostat drove them beautifully - but for my money, the combination of the A-10 and SR-009s were simply as good as I can imagine headphone listening ever gets.  It's probably a good thing I could never dream of affording either, as I'd lock myself in my room for the rest of my life and do nothing but listen to music
duggehsmile.png

It was also really rewarding to have a chance to finally directly compare the HE-6 to the LCD-2.  So much has already been said about both, but I think the general consensus as to their relative strengths and weaknesses is spot on.  I went in thinking I would prefer the HE-6 on the basis of that, and think I actually have a slight preference for the LCD-2, despite the fact that the HE-6's strengths appeal more to my general preferences (treble extension and detail).  There's something just so relaxing and joyous about listening to the LCD-2s.  They're inviting, musical phones. 

The real dark horses for me though were Argedee's MB Quart 95-x phones, and Thread's Rudistor RPX-33.  I never knew MB Quart even MADE headphones, and they were really surprisingly nice - very open and detailed.  And the RPX-33 is an amp that just never really crossed my radar screen, but time and time again every time I'd plug something into it I'd find myself saying out loud "man, this is a REALLY nice amp..."  So even keel, and natural sounding.  Needless to say my wallet is quivering in fear.

Oh, and last but not least, there are no doubt quite a few photos of the TakeT H2 in Jude's camera that will be used to blackmail me for years to come.  Those were, quite literally, the CRAZIEST headphones I've ever seen or heard.  They had a very distinctive low-mid resonance (I think everyone who tried them heard it), and this odd kind of distant, spread out sound-stage and imaging, but they were SO open, and so strangely detailed.  Straight up weird - but definitely in a good way!

My thanks again to everyone for all they brought and did and shared with me.  I'm still riding the high!

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 40
Musicman's rig was absurd as well...lot's to say when I get back, but it was worth getting out my phone just to mention that. Awesome to meet all of you, and honestly very humbling to be a part of it all!

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 40
Hey guys, here are the pics I took at the meet. I'm glad I was able to make it out with my dad. If I knew I was coming for this I would've just came from k-zoo instead of driving from chicago haha. But thanks again to Jude for putting together a great show, and thanks to all those who brought food, so delicious, you can never go wrong with Einstein, Sweetwaters, and Jets. Can't wait for the next meet!

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 40
Well, how much fun was that? I at first thought I would be permanently damaged by listening to the SR-009 -- it was so amazing! I had to put them down before I sold my car to finance a pair. I did not get a chance to her the 009 on the WES, but I am definitely in love with the A-10/009 combo. Darkstar...wow. I was listening to the K1000s (Dev's I think) while someone else has checking out the HE-6s and both were driven by the amp. And it was not hot...or warm. Awesome work Ray!

TakeT H2, well, they sounded alright, but I don't think they are my cup of tea. Very interesting design and very light on the head, but I'm not 100% with the sound.

I think I have to agree with some comments made on the Phonitor, the VUs make me want it, and the best part - it sounds good too. The HE-500 performed very well with it.

ardgedee, the vintage gear was great. I understand where it is difficult to decide on which to keep. I say both!

As at the last meet I was at, musicman59's gear was phenomenal. I loved the HE-6 out of the Aleph 3, and can't wait to get it running. Please thank Robert for loaning out the Havana DAC, I may have to look into that in the future. Hopefully next time I can get some time with the HD-800 and the Black Beauty. I was just having too much fun with the HE-6!

I want to thank everyone for the compliments on my ß22/σ22. I was a lot of work and I wanted make sure it lived up to the amp's reputation. 

Looking forward to the next meet. I doubt I'll be hitting the national meets this year, but I'll get an IC thread going for a late summer/early fall meet in the Kzoo area. We'll see if we can get some Chicago folks to come out too.

Thanks again for hosting jude!!

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 40
Thanks to Adam for organizing this meet, Also would like to thank the man himself, JUDE, for providing his office & lots of great testing Pizza.
Would love to read some more impressions from other head-fiers.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 40
I had a great time!  Even though I'm not on the market for new gear, being able to hang out with all of you was a splendid way to spend my Saturday.  One highlight for me was being able to hear the critically-acclaimed K1000s for the first time.  For some reason, I didn't expect such great sound to come from such an odd form of headphone.  The meet was so good that I skipped the SMAC/FAC swap meet I was planning to attend that afternoon!

Special thanks to Jude for hosting and pizza as well as everyone else who brought food.  I left with a full tummy 
biggrin.gif
 and wallet 
eek.gif
.  Maybe next time I'll only be half as lucky...

One thing I wish there were more of at these meets is DIY projects.  Nonetheless, congratulations Wotts on a well-executed beta/theta 22!  It's beautiful.

Eric

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 40
Thanks!  I had my Jonokuchi there as well, but it was more for show. It hums a little and I did not hook it up. I need to crack it open and move some wiring around.

Quote:

One thing I wish there were more of at these meets is DIY projects.  Nonetheless, congratulations Wotts on a well-executed beta/theta 22!  It's beautiful.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 40
This was my second Detroit Metro meet and it was once again a blast. Hopefully we can continue organizing more of these. I would propose at least twice a year.
I was very interested in listening to the Ray's Dark Star and it clearly surpassed my expectations. It is a great powerful amplifier with a very black or quite back ground, The music is coming from nowhere. I definitive will consider buying one as soon as ray publish the price. This is an amplifier that will drive any headphones with ease including the HE-6 and K1000. I actually compared my HE-6 driven by the Dark Star and the Pass Labs Aleph 3 (with 30 watts/ch pure Class A) and it was very difficult to choose one over the other with the advantage of the Dark Star to be able to drive any other headphones.

Next were the K1000. This was the first time I even saw one in person. I was really impressed on the amount of the bass with a total open design like that. They were very great. If I can ever find a bass heavy version I would buy it
atsmile.gif

Jack Wu's Stax 009 are the best electrostatic headphones I have ever heard. Ii was able to make a comparison using Woo's WES between the 007 and the 009 and the later blew the 007 away by a mile... not even a chance. Then I took the 009 to Ray's A10... that was I though I died and went to heaven! What a sound!!
It was nice to try so many headphones and different equipment but to me the best part of the meet is to be able to spend time with friends and talk about our passion.... that's what is all about!
beerchug.gif

Here are some crappy pictures took with my phone.

Tim listening to the HE-6/Zeus/Aleph3/Forte combo and Anthony listening to the HD600/AudioGD combo.

Mr. Jude himself surrounded by equipment.

Dev Avidon listening to the HE-6/Dark Star/Boulder combo and elrod-tom listening to Beyerdynamic.

Ray's fabulous A10 and HE90 and Jack's Stax 009.... a dream system.

Ray's Darl Star just missing the silkscreen graphics. Most likely my next purchase
very_evil_smiley.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 40

Sorry I'm late for the party... This thread was not linked to from the old one, and my head-fi searches always came up empty-handed. Thanks to Dev for linking me here!

It was excellent to see everybody -- a lot of familiar faces and some new ones. Huge thanks to Jude for hosting and to Tom, Tim, and Jude again for the yummy foods. I thought the turn-out was really good; we had rigs pretty much saturating Jude's office space. It was great to see Ray there, too, with his son, Charles. They brought Ray's A-10 electrostatic amp (which sounded fantastic with the Stax SR-009 Jude has on loan from Jack Woo) and the upcoming Dark Star headphone amp.

I got to hear Dev's early-s/n, bass-heavy AKG K1000's off Ray's Dark Star amp. This was the very first time I've heard the K1000, actually, and it was pretty enlightening. First, the headphone is so darned interesting, clamping the head lightly with pads only over the temples, but second, Ray's new amp really seemed to bring the sound out of these phones. When I first put them on, the clarity and IMPACT even of the bass was almost startling to me. As I listened further, I was really, really enjoying what I heard. Great, enjoyable frequency response from bottom to top. Everything sounded so smooth and effortless while remaining immensly detailed. I would say I <3'd this rig most.

The Phonitor that Jude had on loan from SPL was a treat to try out as well. I've always been interested in this amp, and even almost bought a second-hand once. It's a beautiful amp (especially the black version!) with lots of interesting features. I listened to it with the LCD-2 and my impressions were very positive. I feel like I could be a very happy person with that amp, actually. It was actually quite a bit smaller in person than I had imagined.

You might think I'm let down by the fact that the HE6 cannot adjust quite small enough for me, leaving the cups sagging a tiny bit too low on my ears, but I actually try and count it as a blessing since it makes the LCD2/HE6 decision that much easier. :) I still think I prefer the warm and "fun" sound signature of the LCD2 over the HE6 anyway, but they are both fantastic-sounding phones.

It was a pleasure to meet Jim and fellow linux nerd, Dev. These are the Frost Audio guys from Battle Creek. They make some pretty awesome-looking cables, and have plans to bring a headphone amp to market!

It was really great to see everyone, familiar faces or not. So thanks to all who came and shared the gear and conversation! Who knew ~12 hours could fly by so fast.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 40
The Dark Star sure did seem to drive everything with absolute ease, and the LCD-2 and HE-6 were no exception. They sounded fantastic through this amp. (Ray actually said he used the HE-6 to voice it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back