Michael Jackson which albums has best quality?
Aug 30, 2009 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

1975DCS

New Head-Fier
At this moment I have the following songs of him, most of them are from albums like Thriller, Bad and Dangerous. Problem is they are partially blend together. Annoying for song to song listening. There are "best of" available but some are missing some songs and some are also very loud (although Thriller is also very loud). So which albums should be the Audiophile choice to download or buy?

Another Part Of Me
Bad
Beat It
Billie Jean
Black Or White
Blood On The Dance Floor
Dirty Diana
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Earth Song
Give In To Me
Heal The World
Human Nature
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
In The Closet
Jam
Leave Me Alone
Liberian Girl
Man In The Mirror
One More Chance
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
Remember The Time
Say Say Say
Smooth Criminal
Speed Demon
The Girl Is Mine
The Way You Make Me Feel
They Don't Care About Us
Thriller
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Who Is It
Will You Be There
You Are Not Alone
You Rock My World

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 14
All of the main ones are good to have! They are inexpensive right now and pretty much in stock everywhere (after huge sell outs lately). Downloads are not audiophile choices (although my ears are happy enough even with a minimum of 192Kbps rate). And for the most part the albums at various sources are cheaper than $9.99 full download price.

I think that Bad sounds best personally.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 14
from a pure musical and quality point of view, I would have to vote for

OFF THE WALL

I think it represented the talent Michael had, with quality engineering, Quincys brilliance and he had not hit the top yet and so the commercialization of his skills were not yet exploited on this album. It sounds like everyone that was part of it really tried to make the best album out there at the time this was in 1979, I think it still holds its own.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thriller on SACD.

X2! It has never sounded better. If you don't have a SACD player, the Sony SCD-CE595 can be had under $100. It's worth every cent and sold me on the format.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2! It has never sounded better. If you don't have a SACD player, the Sony SCD-CE595 can be had under $100. It's worth every cent and sold me on the format.

2 problems:
  • The music is partly mixed together (I want to make my own best of)
  • You can't rip a SACD (only the CD layer if hybrid)

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1975DCS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 problems:
  • The music is partly mixed together (I want to make my own best of)
  • You can't rip a SACD (only the CD layer if hybrid)

Then you won't be getting the audiophile choice. There's a trade-off.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 14
SACD died years ago. I mean, I am an early adopter for all electronics and sound stuff normally but asking anyone to spend even just $100 on SACD player is just not a good choice for even the biggest MJ fan. If man (and audiophiles!) eventually decide again that CD-DA is not enough for our ears, they will try again with another format such as Blu-Ray Audio but not more SACD....

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 14
I have copies of the first European pressings, up to Dangerous; Invincible has no better quality. Much better quality, no doubt about it.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by edelgiud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SACD died years ago. I mean, I am an early adopter for all electronics and sound stuff normally but asking anyone to spend even just $100 on SACD player is just not a good choice for even the biggest MJ fan. If man (and audiophiles!) eventually decide again that CD-DA is not enough for our ears, they will try again with another format such as Blu-Ray Audio but not more SACD....

I was just answering the question the OP posed. Not asking anybody to do anything.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 14
Would have to say "Thriller", although "History - Past, Present And Future" is quite nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back