MHDT Steeplechase Tube 24/192 DAC - Thoughts?
Oct 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 24
I got this DAC today. My initial impression is very positive. I did not wait much for this one, but it performs well compared to Hegel HD-11 or Maverick TubeMagic D1. I changed the tube to Raytheon 5670 immediately. I am not a great fan of NOS dacs and was searching a cheap tube buffered DAC that accepts hires signal as well. This was originally intended for the second system, but I maybe replace Hegel with this for a while. It is that good. Sound is earthy but detailed. Midrange is very detailed and not grainy at all. I have maybe heard more realistic treble from other products, but this is not bad at all considering the price. I could roll my Tung-Sol tube in for better treble performance.

By the way, I think that the tube buffer is not nonsense here, although this DAC does not operate in NOS mode. It is there probably not only to colour sound, but to change output impedance to be easier. I recognised this because I am using passive preamp in set up and it pairs better together with that than some other sources.

I encountered one problem, though. Toslink connection do not accept my cable for some reason. There is no click and no sound either. I need to this another cable.

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 24
Well I think I've broken in the Pagoda. I don't have my Steeplechase with me yet for a comparison. But I do have my Rega DAC and I have to say, for the extra 400 or 500 bucks you pay for the Pagoda - they are worth every hour you spent earning those bucks. A whole new world of digital for me. Clear, open, lit three dimensional soundstage. Very nice. I will update with a comparison among all in a couple of weeks. Wow!

Hi JKorten,
What's a pagoda? :confused: I couldn't find it on the MHDT website. How does the Steeplechase sound to you? Thanks :)

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 24
twinkle - the Steeplechase is a fantastic bargain in my opinion. I can compare it to the Rega and Cambridge Dacmagic. The industry is moving very quickly in this field, but the Steeplechase is very very good. Better than either of the previous two in my opinion. (Some may argue on the Rega as it has better solidity and image stability, but the Steeplechase has better HF response in my opinion.)

see
http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/mhdt%20dac%20families.htm

The Pagoda and the Steeplechase are the only two that output 24 bit data to analog. Pagoda is the R2R format with discrete current to voltage converter section before the tube buffer. Their current top of the line product.

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #19 of 24
The Pagoda and the Steeplechase are the only two that output 24 bit data to analog. Pagoda is the R2R format with discrete current to voltage converter section before the tube buffer. Their current top of the line product.

Ah thanks for the clarification... 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Pagoda isn't in the pricelist yet, hence my confusion.
Pagoda seems very interesting if you ask me: real NOS PCM1704 chip, current output with transistor conversion, no opamp after the chip, no feedback!
Seems there was a review of both Steeplechase and Pagoda on some diy forum, but it's been removed now.
I'm really interested to know what the Pagoda has over the Steeplechase in practice. Is the Steeplechase sort of a gateway drug to Havana and Pagoda? Or is it a different philosophy altogether? Thanks for your help again!

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #20 of 24

Ah thanks for the clarification... 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Pagoda isn't in the pricelist yet, hence my confusion.
Pagoda seems very interesting if you ask me: real NOS PCM1704 chip, current output with transistor conversion, no opamp after the chip, no feedback!
Seems there was a review of both Steeplechase and Pagoda on some diy forum, but it's been removed now.
I'm really interested to know what the Pagoda has over the Steeplechase in practice. Is the Steeplechase sort of a gateway drug to Havana and Pagoda? Or is it a different philosophy altogether? Thanks for your help again!

Oops I just realized you were the poster of the diy forum comparison. Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot like that...

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #22 of 24
Any more impressions on this DAC? I was looking for a good tube DAC and this one has a good price. Was it really 800$ before?

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 24
thanks for the review
i'm looking right now to buy a dac (i have asus d2x -> rega ear mk2 -> he400) and i guess the d2x is the lowest quality in the chain 
cool.gif

my older amp was the indeed g3 and i love it for the warm sounding but it can't compare to the rega..
i think the best dac for me will be a high quality tube dac

i will love to compare maverick audio d2 to this unit (wich is cheapest) or other tube dac's about 300$ +-

any help will be great 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back