MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #601 of 897
It was indeed sold in less than a day......
In six months I will probably running after a new DAC :)

I'm not surprised...before I purchased mine from LTA (amazing guys/gear) ... I was observing MHDT/Orchid listings on HiFi Shark.... I think they pretty much all sold within 48 hours. We'll look forward to your MHDT return in the months ahead! Keep us posted on your vinyl system as well :)

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #603 of 897
So here’s a question for the panel who can speak from experience. Seems to a lot of praise for both the WE396a and 6922 varieties for upgrades over the stock tubes.

Any of you fellas have experience with both that could offer some comparative impressions?

(bonus points if you have specific experience with 7308 tubes)

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #604 of 897
So here’s a question for the panel who can speak from experience. Seems to a lot of praise for both the WE396a and 6922 varieties for upgrades over the stock tubes.

Any of you fellas have experience with both that could offer some comparative impressions?

(bonus points if you have specific experience with 7308 tubes)

Funny/good timing on your post. I primarily use WE2C51 (1950s), or Tesla Pinched Waist 6CC42 (Crossed Swords / D Get).

Recently decided to pick up a few 6922 variants (with adapter) and see what they're all about:

Mullard CV4108 / 7308 --> just rolled in Orchid today...only a couple hours deep...initial/first thought is "airier" vs. 2C51.... more to assess across Resolution, Separation and Staging. Need to spend more time.

Mullard E88CC-01 / CV2493 --> Enroute / In Mail

Mullard (Holland) E188CC --> Enroute / In Mail

Telefunken E88CC --> Enroute / In Mail

IMG_1843.jpeg
IMG_1844.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #606 of 897
Is there a consensus on the best easily available tube upgrade for Orchid?

I have an orchid which I bought second hand, and the seller was unsure what tube was in there. Wouldn't mind rolling something else in - but also don't have the time to be scouring ebay and testing 30 different tubes (I don't get that much listening time in, and when I do I'd rather listen to music than test equipment).

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #607 of 897

I have an orchid which I bought second hand, and the seller was unsure what tube was in there. Wouldn't mind rolling something else in - but also don't have the time to be scouring ebay and testing 30 different tubes (I don't get that much listening time in, and when I do I'd rather listen to music than test equipment).
I'm picking my orchid up from LTA this weekend, i purchased the Ericsson upgraded tube so can let you know about those. Although I haven't heard it with the stock tubes so not sure i'd be able to provide a comparison.

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #608 of 897

Consensus is a tricky thing in this hobby. Tubes are very personal/subjective.

So far, I'm liking the CV4108 /7308 more so than the WE2C51 (previously rolling). The CV4108 "flow" is amazing...smoothest tube I've rolled thus far in Orchid.

The WE2C51 is great, very musical, but does not have the "being there" effect of the CV4108. I'm amazed that a DAC/Tube can actually create such an impact on my Burson (SS) AMP.

So, depending on budget, I'd suggest a 2C51 (~$100), or some 6922 ($150-$300) variants using adapter. Garage1217 makes a good adapter (5670 --> 6922) here

Also, check out Page 1 of the 6922 Tube Review (thread). There is a lot of detailed info on the different types, sound characteristics, etc.

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #610 of 897
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #611 of 897
So far, I'm liking the CV4108 /7308 more so than the WE2C51 (previously rolling). The CV4108 "flow" is amazing...smoothest tube I've rolled thus far in Orchid.

The WE2C51 is great, very musical, but does not have the "being there" effect of the CV4108. I'm amazed that a DAC/Tube can actually create such an impact on my Burson (SS) AMP.
This is also my experience, CV4108 is nice. I also like cca.

BTW what Burson You have? I used to have cv2+, which I liked very much.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #612 of 897
This is also my experience, CV4108 is nice. I also like cca.

BTW what Burson You have? I used to have cv2+, which I liked very much.

I have a Soloist 3XP. Love it. I previously was running (balanced) RME-ADI 2fs for some time - but started to feel like something was missing.

The Orchid really filled the gap -- much more musical / textured experience with the 3XP. Great synergy for most genre.

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #613 of 897
I have a Soloist 3XP. Love it. I previously was running (balanced) RME-ADI 2fs for some time - but started to feel like something was missing.

The Orchid really filled the gap -- much more musical / textured experience with the 3XP. Great synergy for most genre.
How would you describe the staging compared to the RME?

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #614 of 897
How would you describe the staging compared to the RME?

I recall the RME throwing a deeper stage (out of the box)....but personally (for me) consider this like comparing an Apple to a Cucumber....b/c with the Orchid I can be "there" with the music/artist. I'm also just starting to invest in 6922 type tubes... so not sure if my (RME) comment/thought will hold true much longer.

Separately, and by way of example, the other night I was listening to Johnny Cash / American IV: The Man Comes Around....I went through the entire album....then went back to track 6 First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.... I put the track on repeat and then proceeded to sit/melt away into my arm chair for a good hour... I could smell the whiskey on Johnny's breath... the Orchid + CV4108 --> Burson Soloist 3XP ....was incredible (IMHO).... the RME (while technically excellent)... just can't produce this level of "analog realism". So, like everything else in this hobby, you just have to decide what makes you happy / most fun and consider what genre of music you listen most often :)

Hope this is helpful to you.

61IhE4t7bQL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back