MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Feb 19, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #46 of 894
A copy of a PM I've recently sent to someone:

Hello, The Pagoda is the most neutral sounding and has a wide soundstage. It can be unforgiving with certain music that falls short in the mastering/production dept but with great music it's fantastic. Initially bright but after certain amount of hours it breaks in quite nicely.

The Stockholm V2 is more towards the MHDT house sound and that's a little bit of warmth but keeping all the details and clarity the dacs offer. The Stockholm V2 is what I'd recommend for headphones that tilt to neutral or bright or for those looking to have coloration (warmth/tube) to their sound. Of course this is in a subtle way where after longer listening this sound will become head-neutral. I had the Stockholm V2 for 2 weeks and during that time it was plugged into Fostex powered bookshelves, I don't have a direct comparison to the Pagoda but it does sound like a sweeter more tube oriented DAC where as the Pagoda can sound very neutral yet have that tube richness. You can also play with the Pagoda's signature more because of it's neutrality and the different tubes plugged in will allow you to hear the changes in a more pronounced matter than the Sv2.

If you're familiar with guitars the comparison is similar to a Fender Strat (Pagoda) vs a Gibson Les Paul (Stockholm V2). Both can sound thick but the Gibson is going to have that Les Paul/humbucker sound no matter how you use it. The Fender on the other hand can sound tactile or thick, just depends on how you set up the chain (in which case here, the tube and amp/speakers/phones).

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #47 of 894
Just an FYI, I finally finished the Pagoda review.

Here's a link:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/799153/mhdt-lab-pagoda-a-review-and-comparison

joel

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #49 of 894
  There is nothing wrong with your web browser. Do not attempt to adjust the forum software.

Atlantis, meet Atlantis.

Crack addict.

wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 894
Some info from Jiun about the Atlantis:

The most significant sounding characteristic of R/2R’s chips vs delta-sigma chips is that R/2R’s chips play “REAL” sound.  Some of our clients who play instruments by themselves (piano, guitar, violin …etc.) told us that sounds from real instruments is not always euphony and the R/2R’s chips can distinguish this easily.

In researching the R/2R’s world, we found that there is a chip, a legendary chip AD1862N which was rarely mentioned nor used.

In the competition years of multi-bits development (majorly Burr Brown and Analog Device), AD1862N was the highest achievement of leading IC company “Analog Device”.  

We then decide to give this chip a trial which like digging out the lost land of the R/2R’s world, so we name it “Atlantis”.

AD1862N is a 20bit output chip, when 24bit source been inputted; the last 4 bit is just truncated by digital receiver CS8416.  In developing the AD1862N we found that this chip is very sensitive to the capacitors in surrounding. We probably will not develop balanced Atlantis unless selling well and upon requests.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #53 of 894
What exactly is being said here?

It's just an answer to some questions I had, not really any new information. They named the Atlantis the way they did because the AD1862N chip is fairly obscure for all but the most knowledgeable of R/2R nerds. Since it felt like relatively unexplored territory implementing these chips in a DAC, they named it Atlantis.

The note on the sensitivity to surrounding capacitors was in response to a question about the most challenging part of designing with this dac chip.

And the question about balanced was just to see what it would take for them to consider going balanced with it. The answer basically that they would consider it if the Atlantis proves popular and enough people want a balanced version.

The first comments regarding R/2R are basically that the chip type is more revealing and real than delta-sigma. Whether for good or ill, R/2R will sound more like the real instruments, which can actually translate to less euphony if the recording is bad or if the instruments themselves aren't terribly pleasing to listen to.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #54 of 894
Okay, I had to do a little side-by-side. Atlantis vs. Atlantis with 3 different tubes:

1) Western Electric JW 2C51 (good triode match ~5%, tests as nos). 5900/5600 minimum good 3150.
2) GE 5670 5-Star Triple Mica (no test data)
3) GE JAN 5670 (no test data)

Frankly, I was hoping to like the GE JAN 5670 the best. It's inexpensive, tough as nails, and super easy to get.

Unfortunately, it did not come out on top.

The GE JAN 5670 does have the most bass slam (though not tight), which I quite like. It sounds very good overall and is a fun listen.

The GE 5-Star Triple Mica seems quite neutral compared to the other two. Slightly less bass than the above, slightly better separation.

The Western Electric bests the other two in every category except raw bass punch. That said, it only wins by maybe 10% and a known good tube costs at least $40, sometimes up to twice that.

I'll be hearing a Bendix soon. I'd like to eventually try all of the 5670 variants. It would be nice to find something that is essentially as good as the Western Electric for less (Sylvania, perhaps? Maybe Tung-Sol?)

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #55 of 894

These PCM56P Japan chips came in, not the unobtainum when authentic K version going for $120/ea on E-bay but from the same era minus the 'matching' the K grade got. These were pulled from a Technics SU V90D, not sure what the other chips are still on the boards though. They came with the kit

I'll most likely try two on the Stockholm V2 once they get back in May from tour and also have an extra set.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #56 of 894
This a really well written review of the MHDT Lab Balanced Havana DAC ... a great read ...

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/02/mhdt-labs-havana-balanced-version/

He captures the unique nature of the NOS/R2R sound very nicely with his commentary ....

FYI 

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #57 of 894
  This a really well written review of the MHDT Lab Balanced Havana DAC ... a great read ...

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/02/mhdt-labs-havana-balanced-version/

He captures the unique nature of the NOS/R2R sound very nicely with his commentary ....

FYI 

Agreed, it's a good review. He's heard many of these DACs.

Also, grats on the sale! Who are we welcoming to the fold?

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #58 of 894

Agreed, it's a good review. He's heard many of these DACs.

Also, grats on the sale! Who are we welcoming to the fold?

Actually sold it on Audiogon ... didn't even last a day there ... would have preferred to sell via Head-fi but no interest so moved it over there ... the MHDT DACs I've sold there always go super fast and for top dollar ... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back