MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Feb 15, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #16 of 897
Got this reply about 6SN7:

In all our dacs, tube is acting as a buffer.
So, the tube is a passive compnents in circuit and so a fixed set up (bias). No needs to adjust resistors' value for most tube.

However, the tube is working on -17.5 to + 17.5 volts, quite a very low voltage in tube's world.
5670 can works on this low voltage because 5670 was design and developed for minitary communication equipment during WWII. So, it can be work on hardest enviorment such as low battery source and hard vibration. All pencil tubes were designed to be used in air plane, they also have same characteristics like 5670. 6SN7 is a commercial tube, it may also works on our dac but sound must be another issue.

Best Regards,
Jiun
Mhdt Lab

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 897
Hi there. I'm trying to see the full DAC family comparison chart but it seems to be cut off on the right side. Is there a way to open it fully that I'm not seeing

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 897
What's the cheapest of those 3? not sure whether dac or amp will do what I'm looking for. I know I'd like to add some tube somewhere in the line up though and I've got my eye on a zero feedback SS amp right now so thought maybe I'd look at zero feedback dacs with tube stage. Really hoping to open up and spread out the vocals and just spread the sound out a little higher in my head while maintaining balance, detail, bass weight (or more ). Also just a little less SS edginess . Any of these do that"

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #25 of 897
What's the cheapest of those 3? not sure whether dac or amp will do what I'm looking for. I know I'd like to add some tube somewhere in the line up though and I've got my eye on a zero feedback SS amp right now so thought maybe I'd look at zero feedback dacs with tube stage. Really hoping to open up and spread out the vocals and just spread the sound out a little higher in my head while maintaining balance, detail, bass weight (or more ). Also just a little less SS edginess . Any of these do that"

It is fairly likely the edginess begins with your DAC, and this Is where MHDT shines. 

Another option for adding a tubes into your chain are the tube hybrid amps from www.garage1217.com

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #26 of 897
Thinking I used the wrong word. I am def talking about amps as last week I went to a speaker shop and had the opportunity to directly compare a lot of amps and while I noticed the changes in sound and respected some of them for their quality, it wasn't till I got to a tube hybrid amp that I found the sound I was looking for. I wouldn't say lifeless because there were plenty of fast and lively amps. I wouldn't say just smoother because some of the SS were very smooth. Maybe easier to explain with more words. The sound stage expanded mainly overhead and spread out the vocals, there was a more organic quality to the sound and everything was a little thicker and a hair laid back. One would think that it sounds like I already found the amp I want and that's true but I've been told from someone who works in the industry and is very knowledgeable that I should try a certain zero feedback amp with my headphones. Iid like to try his recommendation but wanted an actual tube somewhere so I figured the best bet would be to find a matching zero feedback dac with tube stage in it.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #28 of 897

It is fairly likely the edginess begins with your DAC, and this Is where MHDT shines. 

Another option for adding a tubes into your chain are the tube hybrid amps from www.garage1217.com

Or do both...

I've got MHDT Labs Atlantis -> Garage1217 Project Sunrise III at work.

And probably MHDT Labs Atlantis -> Garage1217 Project Ember II at home.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #30 of 897
Atlantis?

From the folks who have heard multiple MHDT dacs, it sounds like any of them would do it for you.

The Stockholm 2, Atlantis, and Pagoda are all non-feedback and are very similar in design and capability.

The Atlantis uses the AD1862N-J dac chip, which is downright legendary and is one of the most coveted R-2R chips of all time. It's on a similar level to the PCM1704-K grade chip, TDA1541A, or PCM63K. (See this list: http://vasiltech.narod.ru/files/DAC-Bits.txt)

That said, I have not heard anything but the Atlantis from MHDT. I love it. I have no idea why it's the cheapest of the three non-feedback right now.

I love it so much that I just committed to a second one.

I have multiple people interested in buying the Master-11, so I'm going to have an MHDT Atlantis both at work and home. I'll likely run different tubes in each until I've settled on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back