MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Dec 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #212 of 894
I have a question:

When I connect DAC to my Mac, I saw there are several options: 16/24/32 bit, and sample rate from 44k up to 384k. Of course I tried 384k and it did not work (no sound), but 192k seems to work fine (and sound better than 44k), as well as 24/32 bit.

Since this DAC claims to support 24 bit / 192k, why other options showing up?

Also, since this is NOS DAC, should I use 44k?

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #213 of 894
These settings are strictly the output of Windows sound into the dac. Using a player like foobar, jriver, etc bypasses windows sound when using wasapi output. 24bit should be your output to the dac, the frequency rate will follow based on the audio file.

As for Windows sound, either use 44 or 48 since they are what most standard audio use. (44khz for fx and music streaming - 48khz for video stream) Since these aren't as important being the nature of audio quality going through Windows system (vs wasapi or asio) imo setting it at 24b/48khz is the sweet spot

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #214 of 894
How do I tell the "original" rate of audio? I play some online audio files, which are said to be 320kbps. 

Once I choose a rate to output to the DAC, the NOS DAC will not do up-sampling/oversampling, while an OS DAC will do upsampling?

Thanks

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #215 of 894
  How do I tell the "original" rate of audio? I play some online audio files, which are said to be 320kbps. 

Once I choose a rate to output to the DAC, the NOS DAC will not do up-sampling/oversampling, while an OS DAC will do upsampling?

Thanks

CDs, online streaming, lossy files such as mp3 or aac or ogg are all going to come in at 16-bit due to the nature of the file. Any file that says "320Kbps" is going to be lossy and taken at 16b/44khz. If you choose an output rate different from the file itself, what ends up at the dac is the output rate chosen by Windows unless you're using a player that supports asio or wasapi.

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #216 of 894
Tomolo i be an owner of paradisea 3, just wanted to know whether burson V5i opamp will fit into it?

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #217 of 894
I just wanted to chime in and report that I had an issue with my MHDT Pagoda and Juin at MHDT Labs has gone above and beyond to take care of me. Anyone concedering one of his dacs should not be concerned about the customer service because it is exemplary. The quaility and excellent sound is amazingly not as well.
Thanks Juin, I'm one happy customer.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #218 of 894
I just wanted to chime in and report that I had an issue with my MHDT Pagoda and Juin at MHDT Labs has gone above and beyond to take care of me. Anyone concedering one of his dacs should not be concerned about the customer service because it is exemplary. The quaility and excellent sound is amazingly not as well.
Thanks Juin, I'm one happy customer.

Sorry, "amazing quality as well" forget the "not" in there.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #220 of 894
Anyone have a chance to hear both the Modi Multibit and the Stockholm V2?

Not the Modi MB, but I upgraded my BiFrost to MB (Bimby) early on. Just before that I bought the MHDT Paradisea 3 and was able to listen to friends' Havana, Stockholm 2 and Pagoda as well.

Currently I own 2 Paradisea 3 and the Pagoda (and no Bimby).

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #222 of 894
Ericr, How do you like MB, MHDT, and Holo Spring?

I like them all, and I'm kinda picky when it comes to DACs.

However, voting with my wallet sold I my Multi-bit Bifrost and bought a second MHDT Paradisea 3, then about 6 months later also bought the MHDT Pagoda. The Spring is still burning in so I'll withhold comment for now.

More specifically, I think the upgrade from the older Bifrost Uber to the Bimby delivers a significant improvement in SQ and is a no brainer at $250. It's alomst like someone removed plàstic wrap from my headphones. The MHDT Paradesia 3 (discontinued, bought used) is much the same, but (with the Bendix tubr) wins out over the Bimby in tone and timbre of the treble and in the soundstage presentation (more natural / real).

For those buying new rather than upgrading, the recently released MHDT Canary might be a worthwhile consideration seeing it is only a $100 more than a new Bimby. I've not yet heard the Canary though it is an updated design based on the same DAC chip in the Paradisea 3 that I enjoy in my system at work.

Moving up the MHDT line adds greater detail / resolution beyond the P3 or Bimby which is why I bought the Pagoda for my home system. It would be interesting to compare the Gumby and the Pagoda as they are similarly priced. Maybe I can make that happen at the next Seattle HF meet.

-Eric

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #223 of 894
I like them all, and I'm kinda picky when it comes to DACs.

However, voting with my wallet sold I my Multi-bit Bifrost and bought a second MHDT Paradisea 3, then about 6 months later also bought the MHDT Pagoda. The Spring is still burning in so I'll withhold comment for now.

More specifically, I think the upgrade from the older Bifrost Uber to the Bimby delivers a significant improvement in SQ and is a no brainer at $250. It's alomst like someone removed plàstic wrap from my headphones. The MHDT Paradesia 3 (discontinued, bought used) is much the same, but (with the Bendix tubr) wins out over the Bimby in tone and timbre of the treble and in the soundstage presentation (more natural / real).

For those buying new rather than upgrading, the recently released MHDT Canary might be a worthwhile consideration seeing it is only a $100 more than a new Bimby. I've not yet heard the Canary though it is an updated design based on the same DAC chip in the Paradisea 3 that I enjoy in my system at work.

Moving up the MHDT line adds greater detail / resolution beyond the P3 or Bimby which is why I bought the Pagoda for my home system. It would be interesting to compare the Gumby and the Pagoda as they are similarly priced. Maybe I can make that happen at the next Seattle HF meet.

-Eric

Have you compare Western electric 396A against Bendix 2C51 on the P3? Verdict?

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #224 of 894
Have you compare Western electric 396A against Bendix 2C51 on the P3? Verdict?

Yes. An early WE 396a was my favourite tube until @soundsgoodtome kindly introduced me to the Bendix 2C51. It's been a while since the WE has been in, but my recollection is the Bendix has increased treble, is.somewhat tighter in bass, and gives.a more open, airy and natural sense to the presentation.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #225 of 894
Yes. An early WE 396a was my favourite tube until @soundsgoodtome kindly introduced me to the Bendix 2C51. It's been a while since the WE has been in, but my recollection is the Bendix has increased treble, is.somewhat tighter in bass, and gives.a more open, airy and natural sense to the presentation.

Those two are definitely my favorites, but I have found that it can vary for me depending on what tube I have in my Project Ember at the time. So far, my favorite combination is the WE 396A in my Atlantis (which I think is a bit brighter than a Paradesea or Canary) and then an analytical/neutral tube like a Tesla gold-pin E83CC (12AX7 I think). 

At the end of the day, the possibilities are endless! I got some Tesla pinched waist tubes that I want to try in the Atlantis as well, should be fun! Sheesh since I've had this thing, I'm not sure I ever put the screws back in the top plate 
beyersmile.png

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back