MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs
Jan 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #226 of 894
Call it ocd... but in my mind the dac should output as clear of a sound as possible (granted musicality mixed in there but tilted to fast/tubey sound) and THEN colored at the amp or phone.. but then again it's a buffer stage that's already AFTER the conversion and is basically just a built in tube buffer... but yea ocd. Color after the dac unit lol

Edit: exception would be if it's all neutral or bright SS after the DAC in which case there's only the tube buffer to get the tube distortion in -

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #227 of 894

Call it ocd... but in my mind the dac should output as clear of a sound as possible (granted musicality mixed in there but tilted to fast/tubey sound) and THEN colored at the amp or phone.. but then again it's a buffer stage that's already AFTER the conversion and is basically just a built in tube buffer... but yea ocd. Color after the dac unit lol

Edit: exception would be if it's all neutral or bright SS after the DAC in which case there's only the tube buffer to get the tube distortion in -

Do tubes just add distortion? What does it mean if there are 2 DACs that measure almost the same but sound different? Can everything be measured? I think that they (tube gear)add a more holographic presentation that corresponds more closely to live music. Are there numbers that can measure and predict whether a given DAC will have 3D qualities or is this just trial and error? A very clear sound quality is nice but if it's 2D, that should be taken into consideration too. Could 2d sound quality be described as distortion because live music isn't 2D.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #228 of 894
I don't think there's a way to measure imaging and soundstage, except maybe a waterfall graph on a headphone where decay can maybe point to stage in certain frequencies? Not sure..

I believe it's trial and error in that dept. You could also achieve more soundstage and imaging down the line in the amp or speaker/headphone.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #229 of 894

Totally agree and I felt this way too. But after I tried this combo, it sounded nice to my ears because I think the Atlantis is fairly dry by nature. That, and I'l be the first to admit that I am not skilled enough to hear the subtle difference lol. Maybe I'll re-try a Bendix or try my Teslas and then find a warm tube for my amp. 

-Collin-

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #231 of 894
I like the Tesla pinched waist tube most on Pagoda - it brings more details & clarity to the sound, compared to some others. Vocals are more "real".

Quote:

Those two are definitely my favorites, but I have found that it can vary for me depending on what tube I have in my Project Ember at the time. So far, my favorite combination is the WE 396A in my Atlantis (which I think is a bit brighter than a Paradesea or Canary) and then an analytical/neutral tube like a Tesla gold-pin E83CC (12AX7 I think). 

At the end of the day, the possibilities are endless! I got some Tesla pinched waist tubes that I want to try in the Atlantis as well, should be fun! Sheesh since I've had this thing, I'm not sure I ever put the screws back in the top plate 
beyersmile.png

-Collin-

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #232 of 894
New to this forum etc, not sure if this is the correct way to respond etc.
Just received my Canary DAC: amazing piece of equipment. I agree with descriptions like 'romantic' and 'musical'.
Reminds me very much of my good old days when I was the privileged owner of the Marantz CD12/DA12 transport dac combo. That one had the famous tda1541as1 on board. This canary has no op-amps (which I like because I 'hate' op-amps).
Currently using it in my all tube pre power amp and my martin logans: as close as you can get to real analoge!
Highly recommended DAC!

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #234 of 894
Putting a burson V5i dual opamp and changing the stock tube into WE396A had totally change this dac into a beast ( paradisea 3)

Now awaiting ericr's Bendix tube and perhap swapping the V5i into big brother red V5.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #235 of 894
Can you link more info on the burson opamps? Should be good info for the older units utilizing opamps!
Putting a burson V5i dual opamp and changing the stock tube into WE396A had totally change this dac into a beast ( paradisea 3)

Now awaiting ericr's Bendix tube and perhap swapping the V5i into big brother red V5.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #236 of 894
Hi, recently I used a cambridge audio dacmagic V2. I know this one is regarded by most 'high end people' as a cheap and simple dac. But it actually is a really good one. It is my understanding they use the dartzee algorithms, which is one of the reasons they sound so good. Other than that I have used audio note dac1 and 2, but find them sound too 'brown/dark'. Had a brief listen to the audiolab qdac and was very disappointed. Was considering the nad m51 dac, but that is such a sterile sounding dac, brrr. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #237 of 894
Can you link more info on the burson opamps? Should be good info for the older units utilizing opamps!

Sure here

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

If you wanna go for the top opamp V5 red you might goto laser-cut toplate acrylic.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #238 of 894

Just put an Burson V5 red to replace v5i. The still clearance of about 3-5mm of space without touching the acrylic casing.

The red V5 is definitely better then V5i. More pronounce highs and smoother mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back