MHDT Labs Pagoda - Any owners out there?
Sep 11, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #151 of 174
Best DAC that I have used to date. Love my Pagoda! Glad to see others enjoying it as well!

I never did upgrade to the balanced version as I couldn't bring myself to buy a second Pagoda but man have I been happy with mine.

Over three years later and still going strong!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #153 of 174
Hi all ..
i am very interested to use pagoda with my hpa8 ,,
can anybody compare it to the Chord Mojo briefly ..
Thanks

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #155 of 174
Comparison is purely for the dac part ,,
i use the mojo as dac with my deckard amp mainly ,
but i am interested to use the Pagoda + Fostex HPA8
Thanks

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #157 of 174
Has anyone heard the Pagoda with J chips?

I'm contemplating buying 4 J chips and having them put in. The cost of the chips would be $320, and then there would be labor. I'm wondering if it's worth the expense.

Labour? I dont think the chips in the Pagoda are soldered, so all you need is a chip puller, an anti-static bracelet and a star key to remove the top. The upgrade in my Orchid from the basic R chip to the S2 was profound.

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #160 of 174
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #161 of 174
Hi,
How is Pagoda compared to Orchid?

Also, I heard some comments saying that MHDT is known for wooly bass and rolled off treble. How true is it?

I have heard Orchid, mid-bass sounds a little bit over smooth on Altec 604e. Is it the same case with Pagoda?
Thank you!
Huy.

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #162 of 174
I can't tell you how it compares to the Orchid, however I can say that it in no way has rolled off treble or wooly bass. It is a very revealing but neutral DAC, in my opinion. I wouldn't choose any of the other MHDT dacs, as they're been said to be less revealing than the Pagoda. Though many people love them.

The Pagoda, in my system, isn't overly anything. It just plays what you feed it.

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #164 of 174
I can't tell you how it compares to the Orchid, however I can say that it in no way has rolled off treble or wooly bass. It is a very revealing but neutral DAC, in my opinion. I wouldn't choose any of the other MHDT dacs, as they're been said to be less revealing than the Pagoda. Though many people love them.

The Pagoda, in my system, isn't overly anything. It just plays what you feed it.

Thanks for your relpy. Do you by any chance use any other DAC that is equally good or better than Pagoda? Have you tried Schiit Yggy?

Jan 22, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #165 of 174
Gotta say, in my many decades of spending my own money on hifi and music, I never understood what "wooly bass" is, or why wooly would be the descriptive word for the actual sound people are hearing when they use it. There is an MHDT family sound I'll generally characterize as organic. A Havana out of the box could fairly be accused of having thicker bass than ideal, but this is easily tuned out or mitigated by selection of the buffer tube(s). Havana was a little soft on the top end but not muted or rolled-off. This could also be adjusted by selection of tube and further by upgrading chips and / or capacitors. Still, Havana made 16 bit sound beautiful.

But the newer Atlantis, Pagoda are far from rolled off, and bass is quite disciplined. One still has the tube rolling option to tune it. These are highly articulate, agile DACs that retain the MHDT organic qualities, and provide greater transparency and spatial information than the older models.''

The single greatest, most transformative sonic improvement to my Atlantis and Pagoda has been using converters to run 6922/CCa/e88cc tubes. This improves everything. Deeper more articulate bass, more nuanced, harmonically-complete top end, more authentic full band, expanded soundstage. No downsides, nothing not improved.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back