MHDT Labs Pagoda - Any owners out there?
Mar 17, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #121 of 174
Wow it is nice to see this thread still going! I'm still using my Pagoda and so completely happy with it that I do not even look at other DACs at all. I have been using a 1964 Bendix 6385 in my Pagoda for a long time now and IMO is the best tube I've tested. I hear from this tube; a very neutral sound that doesn't really 'add' anything to the music. I've found that I prefer this to other more colored tubes I have tried. Though I admit that the differences so far are minimal. Though I'm always willing to roll something new!!

Quote:
  Just an FYI, I finally finished the Pagoda review.

Here's a link:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/799153/mhdt-lab-pagoda-a-review-and-comparison

joel

I'd like to add...nice review man. You hit it on the head soundly and expressed exactly what i failed to express when I first made this thread! Great job. I too have had discussions with Juin over the Pagoda. I mean there was literally no info on this DAC back when I bought it and it wasn't even listed on their website at that time. i had to email them and ask them how to buy. He said many of the same things he told you and I found Juin to be very easy to deal with. Grade A customer service to date.

Thanks for the great review!

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #122 of 174
I don't have any meaningful difference in experience between listening to these DACs via Stax headphones vs. Zu speakers. For anyone who has history with Stax, the SR5 was a mid-1970s issues and it was/is a very natural, relaxed, holistic-toned headphone. The later Stax, beginning with the SRX, were in my opinion substantially "hotter" on the top end, which some people might say were more extended, but they sounded unnaturally bright to me, compared to the earlier large diaphragm SR3 and SR5 phones. Compared to other phones of their era, the SRX was still a comparatively excellent headphone, but having tried them, I reverted to the SR5, of which I have 3 pair dating back to 1975/6. They have been in continuous use for 40 years, so I think it's fair to say that that college-era purchase I stretched for was worth the expense!

The Zu speakers are built around Zu's 10.4" full range driver, supplemented by the lovely Radian compression tweeter on a simple high pass filter above 12.5kHz. The Zu speakers are crossoverless. They have an unusual coherence, tonally, spatially, dynamically and wrt phase, that eludes crossover-intensive speakers with multiple, disparate drivers. They are also quite efficient at 101db/w/m and hence bursty and vivid, just like my Stax SR5s. With the Stax, it is a little easier to easily hear and comprehend the finer differences in DACs, which takes a little more concentration and quietude to equally discern via speakers, but I see no reason for a MHDT R2R DAC to be more enjoyable and accurate via speakers than via headphones.

A lot of contemporary hifi gear, and the audiophiles who listen and judge it, is designed for what I'll say is excessive resolution. That is to say, there is a striving for extreme leading edge detail that one doesn't actually hear in live music. We've been trained to want the ear candy of xray resolution, by close-mic'ing, manufactured soundstages, multi-tracking, hot microphones and engineers mastering for cheesy playback. If you are focused on truly realistic timbres, tonal veracity and a naturally-occurring level of transient detail, much of what passes for "high end" in hifi today will sound over-etched and odd if you deliberately consider what you're hearing.

The common thread of disappointment in delta-sigma DACs ala the ESS 9018, is the flawed ratio of definition relative to tone. Yes, HOW the DAC is implemented is hugely important, and some of the FPGA solutions like Chord uses are much more acceptable. But for the most part, delta sigma has a trait that undermines what's impressive about it by giving tonal fidelity short shrift.

I happened upon mhdt around 2009 when I saw outboard DACs becoming viable again, and bought several to experiment with. I liked the design simplicity of MHDT's Havana, the adherence to R2R, and the use of the tube buffer. Over the course of several months I tried a few ESS implementations, a few Burr Brown delta-sigma, the Audio Note and the mhdt R2R in the form of Havana Balanced. At the time I only cared about 16/44 and hadn't decided how I would migrate to a server. As precursor to ripping my large CD collection, I just wanted to get better CD sound.

When I first listened to a Havana Balanced, I wasn't fully sold on it. It was organic and lovely in some respects, but not as dynamic as I expected or preferred. The Zu speakers are vividly dynamic and they are "fast." The closest a dynamic speaker gets to a Quad ESL in quickness. Stax SR5s are similar. I traced the Havana's "laziness" to three factors: 1/ the stock 5670 tube; 2/ need for extended break-in; 3/ the stock feet. Digital electronics are very sensitive to vibration and what they are sitting on. I found an outstanding improvement by simply setting the Havana Balanced on audio bearings. I then found that the Bendix 2c51 or the 6385 tube sharply improved its dynamics and clarity of natural detail. And I found that four months of active break-in helped every aspect of sound along.

The Havana Balanced was energetic, tonally coherent and harmonically complete. I later tweaked it for a little more resolution in practice by first upgrading the PCM56J ships to K chips, and later got another notch up in natural resolution by replacing the PCM56K dac chips with AD1856. Altogether excellent. Sean Casey, founder and designer/engineer/chief-of-everything at Zu said I had the best digital sound he's ever heard. I also replaced the output caps in the Havana Balanced with Hovland Supercaps, which not only easily fit, but are affordable and sound convincing, but that isn't really necessary. By and large, the mhdt dacs sound quite fine stock, though tube substitution is worth experimenting with until you find *your* tube.

I used my Stax SR5s to identify the very fine points of difference between DACs at that time, and between chips, tubes and caps changed in the mhdts themselves. I use Aurios Media Bearings under my MHDTs. They aren't made anymore, but any bearing product, including the inexpensive balls/cups from Herbie's will work.

The R2R chips have a reputation for sound quality, which is borne out by the MHDT implementations. I regularly hear current delta-sigma-based DACs in Zu-based systems, and others, at high expense compared to MHDT. I can afford them. I don't elect to buy them.

Lately, I have been interested in having 24/96 and 24/192 capability as I at last make a move to put my CD content on a server, and mix that library with higher-rez downloads. I considered "upgrading" to a high-rez + DSD dac, but haven't been convinced by their essential tonal fidelity and imaging. I hadn't followed what MHDT is doing for a couple of years, so when I circled back to them and found they have PCM1704 and AD1862 DACs for 24/192 with 24 and 20 bit output respectively, with discrete transistor I/V rather than using integrated opamps, I found it easy to ditch DSD from my immediate consideration.

I will write comparative notes after I get the SE Pagoda, but as soon as I replaced the Havana Balanced in my Zu Definitions system with a Pagoda Balanced, I could hear the gain in useful resolution, spatial realism and lower noise without *any* sacrifice in tone. And that is before break-in or any other interventions. I did replace the stock 5670 tubes with 2c51, for further snap and vividness. The 20 bit Atlantis arrived last week. I moved the Pagoda Balanced to the Druids system where the preamp has balanced inputs, and have been listening to the SE Atlantis, immediately equipped with a NOS Hytron 2c51 for the last few days on my Definitions system. Just as folks have written here, it is startlingly lovely and instrumental tones are fully realized in a way I've never heard from any delta-sigma dac. What I'm interested in is actively comparing SE Pagoda with SE Atlantis. Both have legendary late-era R2R DAC chips. Both have the same discrete analog section. I will be posting my Havana Balanced DACs for sale soon, and will either sell the SE dac that "loses" the comparison, or I will keep both and use the slightly lesser on for my office system.

More to come, for anyone interested. I'm in Los Angeles, in case anyone is interested.

Phil

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #123 of 174
  A lot of contemporary hifi gear, and the audiophiles who listen and judge it, is designed for what I'll say is excessive resolution. That is to say, there is a striving for extreme leading edge detail that one doesn't actually hear in live music. We've been trained to want the ear candy of xray resolution, by close-mic'ing, manufactured soundstages, multi-tracking, hot microphones and engineers mastering for cheesy playback. If you are focused on truly realistic timbres, tonal veracity and a naturally-occurring level of transient detail, much of what passes for "high end" in hifi today will sound over-etched and odd if you deliberately consider what you're hearing.

*Exactly* ...
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #124 of 174
I don't have any meaningful difference in experience between listening to these DACs via Stax headphones vs. Zu speakers. For anyone who has history with Stax, the SR5 was a mid-1970s issues and it was/is a very natural, relaxed, holistic-toned headphone. The later Stax, beginning with the SRX, were in my opinion substantially "hotter" on the top end, which some people might say were more extended, but they sounded unnaturally bright to me, compared to the earlier large diaphragm SR3 and SR5 phones. Compared to other phones of their era, the SRX was still a comparatively excellent headphone, but having tried them, I reverted to the SR5, of which I have 3 pair dating back to 1975/6. They have been in continuous use for 40 years, so I think it's fair to say that that college-era purchase I stretched for was worth the expense!

thanks very much for all your informed post and experience.... I am more interested in the MHDT dac now.... For the Stax SR-5 i had also one pair , i think about the same but i had mod it with sorbothane for a surprizing result to my ears, the sorb. mod is very simple to implement and not costly and reversible... You must read the thread about sorbothane.... Personaly i had try sorbothane in all my gear with great results for my ears.... I thank you very much for your time

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #126 of 174
@213Cobra: Can I just say you have a fantastic way of writing and keeping things short but very much to the point? :) Please do tell more, the comparisons and your way of explaning sound is very easy to follow. The knowledge is very much appreciated!

Also, where did you source your AD1856 chips? Did I read that right that you swapped it in your Havana? I've talked with Jiun in this regards and he did say the PCM56 chips are swappable to the AD1856 but this is the first time I'm hearing it was an upgrade even to the PCM56P-K models.

The Zu speakers are built around Zu's 10.4" full range driver, supplemented by the lovely Radian compression tweeter on a simple high pass filter above 12.5kHz. The Zu speakers are crossoverless. They have an unusual coherence, tonally, spatially, dynamically and wrt phase, that eludes crossover-intensive speakers with multiple, disparate drivers. They are also quite efficient at 101db/w/m and hence bursty and vivid, just like my Stax SR5s. With the Stax, it is a little easier to easily hear and comprehend the finer differences in DACs, which takes a little more concentration and quietude to equally discern via speakers, but I see no reason for a MHDT R2R DAC to be more enjoyable and accurate via speakers than via headphones.

The common thread of disappointment in delta-sigma DACs ala the ESS 9018, is the flawed ratio of definition relative to tone. Yes, HOW the DAC is implemented is hugely important, and some of the FPGA solutions like Chord uses are much more acceptable. But for the most part, delta sigma has a trait that undermines what's impressive about it by giving tonal fidelity short shrift.

I happened upon mhdt around 2009 when I saw outboard DACs becoming viable again, and bought several to experiment with. I liked the design simplicity of MHDT's Havana, the adherence to R2R, and the use of the tube buffer. Over the course of several months I tried a few ESS implementations, a few Burr Brown delta-sigma, the Audio Note and the mhdt R2R in the form of Havana Balanced. At the time I only cared about 16/44 and hadn't decided how I would migrate to a server. As precursor to ripping my large CD collection, I just wanted to get better CD sound.

When I first listened to a Havana Balanced, I wasn't fully sold on it. It was organic and lovely in some respects, but not as dynamic as I expected or preferred. The Zu speakers are vividly dynamic and they are "fast." The closest a dynamic speaker gets to a Quad ESL in quickness. Stax SR5s are similar. I traced the Havana's "laziness" to three factors: 1/ the stock 5670 tube; 2/ need for extended break-in; 3/ the stock feet. Digital electronics are very sensitive to vibration and what they are sitting on. I found an outstanding improvement by simply setting the Havana Balanced on audio bearings. I then found that the Bendix 2c51 or the 6385 tube sharply improved its dynamics and clarity of natural detail. And I found that four months of active break-in helped every aspect of sound along.

The Havana Balanced was energetic, tonally coherent and harmonically complete. I later tweaked it for a little more resolution in practice by first upgrading the PCM56J ships to K chips, and later got another notch up in natural resolution by replacing the PCM56K dac chips with AD1856. Altogether excellent. Sean Casey, founder and designer/engineer/chief-of-everything at Zu said I had the best digital sound he's ever heard. I also replaced the output caps in the Havana Balanced with Hovland Supercaps, which not only easily fit, but are affordable and sound convincing, but that isn't really necessary. By and large, the mhdt dacs sound quite fine stock, though tube substitution is worth experimenting with until you find *your* tube.

I used my Stax SR5s to identify the very fine points of difference between DACs at that time, and between chips, tubes and caps changed in the mhdts themselves. I use Aurios Media Bearings under my MHDTs. They aren't made anymore, but any bearing product, including the inexpensive balls/cups from Herbie's will work.

The R2R chips have a reputation for sound quality, which is borne out by the MHDT implementations. I regularly hear current delta-sigma-based DACs in Zu-based systems, and others, at high expense compared to MHDT. I can afford them. I don't elect to buy them.

Lately, I have been interested in having 24/96 and 24/192 capability as I at last make a move to put my CD content on a server, and mix that library with higher-rez downloads. I considered "upgrading" to a high-rez + DSD dac, but haven't been convinced by their essential tonal fidelity and imaging. I hadn't followed what MHDT is doing for a couple of years, so when I circled back to them and found they have PCM1704 and AD1862 DACs for 24/192 with 24 and 20 bit output respectively, with discrete transistor I/V rather than using integrated opamps, I found it easy to ditch DSD from my immediate consideration.

I will write comparative notes after I get the SE Pagoda, but as soon as I replaced the Havana Balanced in my Zu Definitions system with a Pagoda Balanced, I could hear the gain in useful resolution, spatial realism and lower noise without *any* sacrifice in tone. And that is before break-in or any other interventions. I did replace the stock 5670 tubes with 2c51, for further snap and vividness. The 20 bit Atlantis arrived last week. I moved the Pagoda Balanced to the Druids system where the preamp has balanced inputs, and have been listening to the SE Atlantis, immediately equipped with a NOS Hytron 2c51 for the last few days on my Definitions system. Just as folks have written here, it is startlingly lovely and instrumental tones are fully realized in a way I've never heard from any delta-sigma dac. What I'm interested in is actively comparing SE Pagoda with SE Atlantis. Both have legendary late-era R2R DAC chips. Both have the same discrete analog section. I will be posting my Havana Balanced DACs for sale soon, and will either sell the SE dac that "loses" the comparison, or I will keep both and use the slightly lesser on for my office system.

More to come, for anyone interested. I'm in Los Angeles, in case anyone is interested.

Phil

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #127 of 174
I bought my first set of AD1856 chips from a vendor on eBay a few years ago, and another set from Mouser. Granted, the sound differences going from PCM56J to PCM56K to AD1856 are comparatively subtle, relative to other changes you can make to your sound chain. But they are easily discernible. I'll say again that the largest sound improvement to an mhdt DAC came from place it on Aurios Media Bearings. I generally find digital gear very sensitive to what it is sitting on, and how well it is either isolated from vibration or given a path for efficiently draining energy from it. MHDT DACs maybe a little more so. The next greatest difference is in choice of output tube, and in this case there is no single recommendation. What you'll prefer will be determined in the context of the rest of your system. Capacitors make somewhat smaller changes, and the DAC chips are in simple ways not dissimilar from that.

Upgrading from the stock J chip to K yields a slight increase in resolution, transient body and overall clarity. The K chip lifts some of the darkness that seems intrinsic to the PCM56. Not all of it, just some. With K chips installed in my Havana Balanced DACs, I also got subtle expansions of soundstage breadth and depth, with more stable and precise placement of instruments and people in the soundstage. The basic signature of the Havana Balanced wasn't changed in any way. Just what's good about it was marginally improved.

The AD1856 chips are a small but significant redirection of the Havana's sound. The mhdt DACs are sonically organic - among the most organic sounding digital playback gear. The artificially-enhanced transients of most digital and virtually all sigma-delta DACs are absent. Tone is authentic. Resonating wood sounds like wood. Brass sounds like brass. A Celestion guitar amp speaker sounds different from an EV. But there's a certain euphonic thickness to the mhdt R2R sound. We live with it as a lesser sin than digital tizz and false "air." The AD1856 moves the Havana to more neutral tenor. Bass is more articulate and a bit leaner than with PCM56x. There's a little more separation of simultaneous events in complex passages.The darkness is lifted further. The overall sound is leaner and faster because that euphonic thickness is mitigated. It's still present for tonal weight, but the Havana becomes just discernibly fleeter, more articulate, more spacious, yet still tonally brilliant and convincing.

All of these are small changes. But stack more articulation, lightness, bass accuracy and speed from AD1856 on more space, shove and tonal fidelity from 2c51 in the output socket, and more dynamic energy, overall clarity with a general reduction of haze by placing an mhdt DAC on bearings on maple, and the changes add up to an audibly more convincing DAC. Now, on headphones, if you're "correcting" for a hot top end or thinner-than-real transients/tonal body, or your phones hurl detail deep into your skull, you might prefer to keep the euphonic thickness of the PCM56x in place. Headphones and what you use to drive them, may lead you to a completely different preference in output tubes than 2c51 or 6385. But these are the most noticeable changes between chips, in my experience listening to all three in Havana Balanced. This combination of upgrades works for me on Stax SR5/SRA-3s and on a SET-based system with Zu Definition 4 speakers.

Phil

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #128 of 174
Ah, I think it'd be a nice tuning change from the ad chips to the pcm and vice versa. These changes are easier heard with a resolving headphone that's neutral and tight across the range and it's one of the great ways to change flavor as much as say a tube swap. I don't have nice speakers and the differences are substantially subtle over headphones for me, unfortunately.

*Edit: There's a reason why Luckbad enjoys his Atlantis with the Triple Micca GE or WE tubes and that is it adds a bit for euphonics to the more leaner and somewhat dry sounding AD sound. It would seem the AD1856 is very similar to the AD1862 the Altlantis are using.

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #129 of 174
Great info @213Cobra 

Very cool that you can swap in the AD1856 to get those changes. You should definitely consider checking out an Atlantis (maybe we can swap at some point since I have two). The AD1862 is the favored chip from Analog Devices.

As @Soundsgoodtome noted, I definitely use bassier, more euphonic tubes with the Atlantis than I would with the Pagoda, for example. It also makes me change my amp's tubes to optimize the chain.

I had it down perfectly until I went and spent a bunch of money on a new amplifier. Now I'm trying to just tube roll the amp rather than messing with the dac.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #130 of 174

I will write comparative notes after I get the SE Pagoda, but as soon as I replaced the Havana Balanced in my Zu Definitions system with a Pagoda Balanced...

Is there such a thing as Balanced versions of Havana or Pagoda? I'm not seeing them anywhere. Is that some kind of a special order? DIY?

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #131 of 174
  Is there such a thing as Balanced versions of Havana or Pagoda? I'm not seeing them anywhere. Is that some kind of a special order? DIY?

Email MHDT. They have or at least had a balanced Pagoda very recently. I believe I've seen a Stockholm V2 Balanced as well. The Havana is no longer made (replaced by Stockholm).

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #133 of 174

Email MHDT. They have or at least had a balanced Pagoda very recently. I believe I've seen a Stockholm V2 Balanced as well. The Havana is no longer made (replaced by Stockholm).

If they don't have one built and ready they'll make a balanced unit for you. The Pagoda and Stockholm both have balanced but their availability just depends on the snake overhead for balanced gear and demand.

That's great news. I am looking at moving to a balanced setup as my primary and the R2R MHDT stuff looks very interesting. Wish I hadn't missed out on the Stockholm tour!

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #134 of 174
Hi guys,

Thought I would chime in as a (very) happy owner of the Pagoda, which was recently acquired as an upgrade for the Paradisea 3 in my home rig.  Still using a P3 in my work rig.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back