Mhdt Lab Paradisea and Constantine DAC gets rave review
Aug 8, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #76 of 89
Make sure you guys don't spend too much to get a Bendix 2C51. In my experience, the Bendix 2C51, National 2C51 and WE396a all give about the same sound quality but a bit different sound signature. The Bendix redbank 6385 however is above all of them in quality of sound while being similar to the 2C51 family in sound signature. Keep in mind that even though the Bendix 6385 sounds the best in my opinion, it does not mean that it is a night and day difference to the others. Differences are subtle but if you have high quality components to complement the Paradisea then the differences are less subtle. Tubes are fun but an expensive fun, isn't it the same with cans...and amps...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #77 of 89
I own a headphone amp that uses 5670/2C51/396a tubes.I found a place on the web that sells the 5670's at $4.50 a tube and the 2C51's at $5.50 a tube.Also WE 396a at $29 a tube.These tubes are all from the fifties and sixties.PM me and I'll give you link if your interested.Oh, and audiotubes.com has the Bendex 6385 at $200 a pair,Yikes.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by happybob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where are you guys finding bendix 6385 for $60-70 other than that japanese place? i'm still a little reluctant to send a money order out of the country without any warrantee. what if the tube breaks during shipping? i emailed the japanese guy inquiring about using paypal, but haven't heard back from him.

right now i feel like my we396a is doing a decent job, just curious whether the bendix would really make that big of a difference...

on a side note, i just decided to fork over $700 to have Rick Cullum (who manufactures a lot of products for PS Audio) mod my PS Audio Digital Link III. Early reports are raving that a modded PS Audio Digital Link III rivals dacs that are on the top of the market in the $10k range... on one hand, i'm looking forward to the mods, but on the other hand, i hope i didn't just insanely threw $700 away...

Happybob,
I would be really interested in hearing your evaluations once you mod your PS Audio Digital Link III. I had been considering a modded PS Audio DLIII or a modded Northstar DAC but cannot seem to locate any evaluations yet.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happybob,
I would be really interested in hearing your evaluations once you mod your PS Audio Digital Link III. I had been considering a modded PS Audio DLIII or a modded Northstar DAC but cannot seem to locate any evaluations yet.

check out psaudio.com discussion forums. there's one dedicated to modded ps audio equipments by rick cullum. you'll be able to find some opinion on the ps audio digital link iii.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #80 of 89
can some one with both Paradisea and Bendix 6385 do a more detailed review on the Bendex 6385 and how it compares with other tubes? I finally heard back from the guy in Japan who still has some Bendix 6385 tubes, but they are not cheap. I'm not sure if I really want to pay that kind of money on a tube if i'm only going to get subtle improvement from my WE396a.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by happybob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can some one with both Paradisea and Bendix 6385 do a more detailed review on the Bendex 6385 and how it compares with other tubes? I finally heard back from the guy in Japan who still has some Bendix 6385 tubes, but they are not cheap. I'm not sure if I really want to pay that kind of money on a tube if i'm only going to get subtle improvement from my WE396a.

happybob, from what you list in your signature for your listening room system I think the differences with the Bendix will be worth it versus the we396a. Your system is in a similar range as mine and for me, even if I say subtle, it is worth the price. I mean you have a system that is worth several thousand dollars, the $100 you will spend on a tube is only a small fraction of your system. My description of differences are probably always a bit toned down versus what many will write, this is my personality. I'm not one to start bragging about night and day differences between a $30 tubes versus a $100 tubes, this is ridiculous and will never be "unbelievable, amazing, outstanding,..." differences. So maybe I can explain a bit what "subtle" differences I can perceive between the we396a and the Bendix 6385. Highs are a bit more "sparkling" with the 6385, voices are as "liquid" but a bit more "refined and defined" and finally bass is also more defined and precise/snappy. The we396a has great bass but not as clear as the Bendix. As far as imaging and soundstage, I think its probably a wash. All this description applies to using the DAC on my speaker system, not with headphones. I haven't done any critical listening with my headphones, the W5000. My speaker system is in the same league as yours, modded Squeezebox for transport > Paradisea > Audio Aero amp > GR Research speakers.

Hope this helps a bit and as I said, if you will be using the DAC in your main speaker system, in my opinion it is worth it to spent a bit of money on the Bendix.

Cheers.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #82 of 89
The Bendix is more lively and more resolving than the 396a. It's almost like listening to speakers with a blanket over them and then taking away the blanket.
Once you've been there it's hard to go back.
I can honestly say that if the Bendix were to die on me I would probably look to sell the Paradisea.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #83 of 89
Alright boys I am officially onboard and have a few questions.

How long did it take from Taiwan and how does it get delevered (dhl)?

What kind of interconnects are you using and does it make a big difference, I just have some old acoustic research cables.

I ordered a we396a tube, would you just drop it in to begin with?

Thanks for all the info.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What kind of interconnects are you using and does it make a big difference, I just have some old acoustic research cables.

Thanks for all the info.

Both of mine arrived from Tiwan to the USA in 3 business days. Darn Fast!

I would just try the tube that came with it to make sure it works. Then you can either swap it out or listen to it for a while. Either way though, I have a funny feeling you might be swaping them at some point to try and compare.

The basic AR Pro II are good enough for budget cables I think. It's a tough question when to upgrade cables, or when to put that money to better equipment. That's something you'll have to decide. ^_^

Hope you enjoy it, and can't wait to see pictures of it!

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of mine arrived from Tiwan to the USA in 3 business days. Darn Fast!

I would just try the tube that came with it to make sure it works. Then you can either swap it out or listen to it for a while. Either way though, I have a funny feeling you might be swaping them at some point to try and compare.

The basic AR Pro II are good enough for budget cables I think. It's a tough question when to upgrade cables, or when to put that money to better equipment. That's something you'll have to decide. ^_^

Hope you enjoy it, and can't wait to see pictures of it!

Mine's here in 3 days as well.. on a saturday! Imagine my delight.. nothing comes on saturdays!

I'll post up pics and review comparing it to my constantine soon

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for all the info.

it's shipped via international express mail from taiwan, mine took 3 days to get to los angeles. pretty quick.

the type of interconnects and tube you use really is depending on the rest of your setup and the type of sound you are looking for. go ahead and listen to the stock tube first, then change it to the we396a, and see which one you like better. one thing that will make the big difference is a decent power cord, it will make a bigger difference than the interconnect to tube. no need to go crazy and spend thousand of dollars, just pick up something like a zu cable birth ($40-50 on ebay) or signal cable magic power cord digital reference ($69) and you are set.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #87 of 89
Shipping was fast. 3-4 days to Canada.

I tried Audioquest Diamondback and Blue Jean LC-1 ICs but ended up settling on some Anti-Cables. Can't say I noticed much of a difference but they sure do look cool.
wink.gif

I tried Monster Datalink digital coax vs inexpensive Monoprice Toslink and once again I couldn't hear any difference.

I got better results with a $5 unshielded power cord than with an $18 Volex 17604.

I finally gave up after being outbid three times on eBay on the ZU Cable Birth recommended by Happy Bob. Maybe I'll give it one last try.

Aug 11, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shipping was fast. 3-4 days to Canada.
I finally gave up after being outbid three times on eBay on the ZU Cable Birth recommended by Happy Bob. Maybe I'll give it one last try.

yeah, it took me a while to get mine too. they are popular, and you pretty much have to be there right till the end of an auction otherwise you might get over-bid by one dollar. good thing is there are new listings everyday. also if you don't like it, you can send it back within 60 days for full refund.

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #89 of 89
Hmm.. since my new paradisea has BNC in, do you reckon it's worth getting a BNC/RCA coax cable?

I'm ordering a new coax from Blue Jeans and can't decide which to get
RCA/RCA is more likely to be re-usable in the future, not so sure about BNC/RCA

If it does sound better though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back