Mhdt Lab Paradisea and Constantine DAC gets rave review
Aug 7, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My paradisea is on the way
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll compare it to my constantine and Njoe Tjoeb when it gets here (so.. exact same review as enjoythemusic's really..)

Ohh, that must be very exciting!
Give it a little time for the sound to grow on you, and then I will be interested to see how you like it over the constantine. I like mine quite a bit better than the constantine.

Also, you may have heard that most tube options are very cheap for the Paradisea, so it might be worth it to pick up one or two just to try different flavors.

Aug 7, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #62 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohh, that must be very exciting!
Give it a little time for the sound to grow on you, and then I will be interested to see how you like it over the constantine. I like mine quite a bit better than the constantine.

Also, you may have heard that most tube options are very cheap for the Paradisea, so it might be worth it to pick up one or two just to try different flavors.

Tower7, which tube did you end up settling on? I'm still using WE396a, and you are right, the sound is really growing on me. Still in the process of looking for a Bendex 6385 that's not insanely priced.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #63 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by happybob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still in the process of looking for a Bendex 6385 that's not insanely priced.

Good luck!
I have a WE JW-2C51 which is supposed to be the same as the 396a and and by far prefer the Bendix(even at $60) But if you're on a budget you should give the Tungsol 5670 a try. I picked one up for $18 at http://www.tube-shop.com/usa/prod_no...ProcessType=17

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #64 of 89
My 396A Paradisea mated to my EC/SS is really a nice combination. The detail of the string instruments gets better and better and is amazing. I have a Bendix Redbank on the way so this will be a real interesting comparison.

Happybob, what is your definition of insanely priced? I found one for seventy dollars delivered. Perhaps not insane, but mildly irrational. I hope it is worth it.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #65 of 89
Quote:

Tower7, which tube did you end up settling on? I'm still using WE396a, and you are right, the sound is really growing on me. Still in the process of looking for a Bendex 6385 that's not insanely priced.

Right now I also have a WE396A in it made in 1971, and its working nice. I've recently been playing around with my tube amp, so I'm keeping this tube in the paradisea for a while until I get a feel for my tube amp. The nationa 2C51 that I had was also nice, it paired well with my Darths.

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #66 of 89
Everyone seems to love the 396a except me. Maybe it's a synergy thing or maybe mine isn't NOS as the seller claimed. Just out of curiosity I think I'll have it tested.

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #67 of 89
where are you guys finding bendix 6385 for $60-70 other than that japanese place? i'm still a little reluctant to send a money order out of the country without any warrantee. what if the tube breaks during shipping? i emailed the japanese guy inquiring about using paypal, but haven't heard back from him.

right now i feel like my we396a is doing a decent job, just curious whether the bendix would really make that big of a difference...

on a side note, i just decided to fork over $700 to have Rick Cullum (who manufactures a lot of products for PS Audio) mod my PS Audio Digital Link III. Early reports are raving that a modded PS Audio Digital Link III rivals dacs that are on the top of the market in the $10k range... on one hand, i'm looking forward to the mods, but on the other hand, i hope i didn't just insanely threw $700 away...

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

where are you guys finding bendix 6385 for $60-70 other than that japanese place?

The longer you keep looking the rarer/more expensive these will get. Unless, of course, someone discovers a sunken ship full of them.
The only other place I saw them was on e-bay but they were usually being sold in matched pairs and were even more expensive.
I just put the cash in an (registered)envelope with a return address label, sent it off to Japan and crossed my fingers. Fifteen days later I opened my mailbox and there was a nice shiny Bendix 6385 Red Bank.

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #70 of 89
Aug 7, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #71 of 89
Quote:

Turn&cough, when you say bendix 6385, is that the same as this:

A Bendix 2C51:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=018

I keep seeing this seller post these for sale. That particular pair went for about 80$.

nope, bendix 6385 redbank is NOT the same as the cheaper Bendix 2C51.

just for reference, here's the recommended list i got from mhdt lab a while back:

----------------------------------------------------------------
1st class,
WE2C51 (D getter)
WE396A (D getter)
Bendix 6385 (toooo expensive)
Tesla 6CC42 (rare but sometimes will show up in the market)

2nd class,
WE396A/2C51 (O getter)
Tun-sol 396A, 2C51 (they invent this tube, 1950s, D getter)
Raytheon CK5670 (1950s, D getter)
RCA 5670 (1950s, D/Plate 2 supporting rod getter)
GE 5670 (3 mica structure, mostly 5 stars tube)
Sylvania 2C51, 5670 (D getter)

3nd class, (after 1960s)
GE 5670
RCA 5670
Tun-sol 5670
Sylvania 2C51
Sylnvnia 5670 (sometimes marked Mullard)
RTC 5670
Philips 2C51

4th class,
russian and chinese 6N3P, -E, -EB, -EV

Mhdt Labs

PS..
1).I don't have Bendix 2C51 so I don't know what it is and I think Bendix didn't make this tube but OEM by other manufactures.
2). there are other 5670s branded National, Westing House, CBS, Telefunken, Ericsson... since I don't own them so I know nothing about..
-----------------------------------------------------

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #72 of 89
Thanks for the info happybob!

Wow, he sure did try out a lot of tubes!

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #73 of 89
on another side note, towert7, are you using the usb in, or the optical in to your dac from your audigy soundcard? i see that you are still using the audigy under your signature. but the sound card should no longer make any difference on the sound quality if you use the usb connection right?

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:

Turn&cough, when you say bendix 6385, is that the same as this:

A Bendix 2C51:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=018

I keep seeing this seller post these for sale. That particular pair went for about 80$.

No - mine(from Japan) are the 6385/TE-21 (military boxes 11-64)
The "close to 1st class in my opinion" $18 Tungsol 5670 I received from Tube Shop has D getter and 2C51 markings on it.
The "not so 1st class in my opinion" WE2C51 I have also has D getter. I think I paid about $35 for that one but I forget where I bought it.
Hope that helps.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #75 of 89
Quote:

on another side note, towert7, are you using the usb in, or the optical in to your dac from your audigy soundcard? i see that you are still using the audigy under your signature. but the sound card should no longer make any difference on the sound quality if you use the usb connection right?

To be honest with you I'm not exactly sure what part the sound card still plays with the DAC.

I am using digital coax. I have also tried optical and usb, however I have not spent much time with it, and have not compared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back