MF Xcan v3 or PPX3-6SN7 for K701s?
Aug 8, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
If he has in fact read those comments he should not have a problem directing us to them. I'd really be interested in those comments. I've searched and haven't found anything substaintial to substantiate what he said. Morever if they exist,I'd love to know the context of the comments (like what system it was used on, if it was a meet, etc..). But as I said, it seems to me that it is only based upon his own conjecture.

Fair enough - maybe some evidence should be provided.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I am a lawyer. Precision in the use of words is a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, avoidance of unsubstantiated hearsay when making recommendations to others about how to spend their money is also a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
There is no charge for this advice.
biggrin.gif

So, now we have a lawyer telling us what is good and what is not - God help us.
biggrin.gif
at least it was free.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
uh oh, team Singlepower is cracking the whip.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think he has the right to "discuss" get or try based on reading reviews and posts, or should he get a lawyer to read run through his posts before he puts them up.

Lighten up.

I am not saying he cant discuss anything. I am saying what reviews and posts from whom .... because I have yet to see any. Have you ???

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 39
I guess I am one of the few people that has heard singlepower and bada ph12.
I heard the topline single power amps at the rocky mountain audio fest 2 years in a row. ( I believe it was a maestro driving rs-1, and supra driving recabled hd650.) I did not feel "wow" with the $$$$ rig. I didn't think they were anything special and for the $$$$ certainly not worth it.
On the other hand I feel "wow" with the tube rolled bada ph12/sa5k combo which I own.

This may not be a fair comparison as I listened to the single power in a meet type of condition and not with my own music. I may change my mind if I have extended listening with them for at least a week at home.

Another possible reason that I think the topline singlepower didn't sound anything special is because at the audio show there were SO many excellent sounds from the 2channel speaker setups. My ears were not easy to please those 2 days...

To the OP wasn't there a thread talking about bass distortion with ppx driving k701? The synergy may not be as good there.....

i head a xcan-v3 and it is nothing special....but based on my own tube rolling experience i don't doubt that a tube rolled xcan-v3 can sound excellent.
i'd vote for a tube rolled xcan-v3. or a bada ph12 if you are willing to spend the extra $$$ to tube roll 6sn7's....

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
I've got a rope! we can fix this
biggrin.gif

I am now in fear of grievous bodily harm. I will have to sue you and everyone on this thread who has made anti-lawyer comments for defamation, harrassment and a restraining order.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
I heard the topline single power amps at the rocky mountain audio fest 2 years in a row. ( I believe it was a maestro driving rs-1, and supra driving recabled hd650.) I did not feel "wow" with the $$$$ rig. I didn't think they were anything special and for the $$$$ certainly not worth it.

I would say that your experience and opinion is extremely atypical. That doesn't mean it does not have value, but I think it is very much in the minority, especially given the particular amps you are talking about, i.e., the Maestro and the Supra.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
i head a xcan-v3 and it is nothing special....but based on my own tube rolling experience i don't doubt that a tube rolled xcan-v3 can sound excellent.
i'd vote for a tube rolled xcan-v3. or a bada ph12 if you are willing to spend the extra $$$ to tube roll 6sn7's....

Ya, the tubes that come in the X-CanV3 are total crap(IMO), very thin and shrill. Roll the tubes and the sonic signature completely changes.

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
GF2,

Then that implies or suggests that others have done this comparison (and have thusly reached this conclusion) does it not? Given that you have made the super vague "some people say" phrase, can you point out where this has been made?

And I disagree that it is not misleading. If some people on this forum did in fact make that statement, can you provide a link? comparing the PPX3/Woo3, PPX3/Bada, etc... Because unless you do cite your sources, it seems to me that the "some people" in actual fact only refer to you.

Furthermore given how people tend to read forums, people will place alot more validity into your statements than you think. Which by your own admission, seems hard to substantiate.

Once again... read very carefully - I did not compare the BADA PH12 to the SP's. Nor, did I compare the WA 3 to the SP's.

But... I did report the observations of others who have compared the WA3 to the SP's, and who observed that they preferred the WA3 with the upgraded tubes to the SP's (mostly the PPX3, but as I recall one included the MPX3). I obviously don't save all such references in a file for ready reference for those who refuse to accept such observations - but, I do seem to recall some of their IDs: KZEE, and If I recall correctly maybe JimmyJames8, or possibly HighFlying9, and I think there were others. I encourage you to do a search in Amps forum for Woo 3 posts, or in the Woo 3 Modified posts - and you'll find them - as your mother would say... "that's what I'd have to do."

And... of course you know, drarthurwells has compared the BADA PH12 to just about everything, including the Raptor - and prefers the BADA to just about everything. Given his obvious experience, and refined tastes - I'd trust his judgment.

But... one must question how closely you read and understand printed material - I have never stated that the XCAN v3, or Woo 3, or BADA PH12 are superior to the SP's, but other's have (with the possible exception of the BADA PH12).

Moreover... one more time... slowly now... I... d-i-d... s-t-a-t-e... t-h-a-t... i-f... I... w-e-r-e... g-o-i-n-g... t-o... s-p-e-n-d... t-h-a-t... m-u-c-h... m-o-n-e-y... I'-d... p-r-o-b-a-b-l-y... t-r-y... t-h-e... P-P-X-3... S-L-A-M.

Was that slow enough and clear enough for you.

My... my... the failures of our modern education system.

GF2

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
And... of course you know, drarthurwells has compared the BADA PH12 to just about everything, including the Raptor - and prefers the BADA to just about everything. Given his obvious experience, and refined tastes - I'd trust his judgment.

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 39
Well,
The debate about what is best will continue and certainly never be agreed upon. On the other hand one thing that seems to have emerged here is that the Bada ph12 is a contender and at $450 that seems to make it a particularly good value. Am I wrong?
Gerry

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
Well,
The debate about what is best will continue and certainly never be agreed upon. On the other hand one thing that seems to have emerged here is that the Bada ph12 is a contender and at $450 that seems to make it a particularly good value. Am I wrong?
Gerry

I just looked at the website for the Bada ph12 and it looks like a safe bet.

There's only so many hybred amp designs out there and it may be the same as the X-Canv3 anyway? I do like the fact that they used Toshiba outputs as they are by far the best sounding transistors(imo).
Two headphone jacks and the built in power supply is also nice. But I feel its one butt ugly beast! if you could do away with the cheap lookin plexy glass, that would be a good start.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #28 of 39
Most definitely... enough so... that I may order one from Pacific Valve as well. My only reservation is how well it performs with Grados - some report not too well.

So... you can try it out within their 30 day return policy, and keep it if you like it, and return it if you don't. But... I'd check out drarthurwells posts on the amp to be sure that's what you're seeking. Or, you might PM/email him - but, he's written volumes on the amp - so you really just have to do a search.

The only problem is... he reports that it doesn't sound up to it's potential with the stock tubes - so, you won't hear it at it's best, unless you take the risk on the upgraded tubes. Who knows, maybe he'll sell you some on one of his famous "try 'em and see if you like 'em" deals - if you don't like the amp and return it, he may take the tubes back less the shipping costs (he's done similar deals on stuff in the past).

He maintains that he likes the BADA PH12 hybrid sound better than the more tube-like sound of the WooAudio 3/2. But... you'll have to decide whether you prefer the more SS sound of tube hybrids, or the more tube-like sound of SET OTL amps - many prefer the latter. Again, you can try the BADA PH12 with very little risk - so, why not? Unfortunately, there are very few other vendors that allow such guarantees.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest you try the XCAN v3, or WooAudio 3 first, but they don't have such offers available - and you must take all the risk, and resell them if you don't like them.

GF2

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I am not saying he cant discuss anything. I am saying what reviews and posts from whom .... because I have yet to see any. Have you ???

I have now !

BTW, the X-cans v.3 with original tubes sound like crap to me.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I have now !

BTW, the X-cans v.3 with original tubes sound like crap to me.

I wouldn't say the original tubes are crap but they are bright and little thin sounding and that's to complement hd6XX kind of sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back