MF Xcan v3 or PPX3-6SN7 for K701s?
Aug 8, 2006 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

gdg

Banned
I would like to drive my with AKG K701s with a good tube amp. One can always get good sound with a ton of cash but I also appreciate "value". I gather that the Xcan is very good "for the money". Any opinions on whether, at 3 times the price (for the slam version) the Single Power PPX3-6SN7 would be a significant improvement? Or... would it just be a matter of taste?
Gerry

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
I would like to drive my with AKG K701s with a good tube amp. One can always get good sound with a ton of cash but I also appreciate "value". I gather that the Xcan is very good "for the money". Any opinions on whether, at 3 times the price (for the slam version) the Single Power PPX3-6SN7 would be a significant improvement? Or... would it just be a matter of taste?
Gerry

This is my option, I've never owned a PPX3 but have done an AB with my X-CanV3. Given this, I'd say its a taste thing. I think the PPX3 is all tube?

The X-CanV3 is tube input with transistor outputs. The job of the tubes in the V3 is sound shaping ie. giving a tube sound. The transistors are doing most of the work. This suits my taste just fine. I feel its the best of both worlds. another plus is tube life is very high because there never worked real hard.
IMO!

Aug 8, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
This is my option, I've never owned a PPX3 but have done an AB with my X-CanV3. Given this, I'd say its a taste thing. I think the PPX3 is all tube?

The X-CanV3 is tube input with transistor outputs. The job of the tubes in the V3 is sound shaping ie. giving a tube sound. The transistors are doing most of the work. This suits my taste just fine. I feel its the best of both worlds. another plus is tube life is very high because there never worked real hard.
IMO!

I agree with this completely (with my tastes as well). With the X-cans v.3 and K701 (listening to Mozart's Requium now), you get a very solid sound, yet enough tube warmth to give it that addicting quality without being lost in tube lushness.

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 39
I would not use 6sn7's as the output tubes for driving the 701's myself. I prefer the 5687 output tubes used in the SLAM versions. The 701 is both low impedence and low sensitivity and very current hungry. The 6sn7 used as an output tube doesnt have enough power for the 701 from my experiences .... unless you listen at lower volumes.

As for the V3 vs a SLAM I have compared the two .... three, maybe four times and IMO the SLAM is a in a completely different league if you are using a better source. The v3 is a good amp but the SLAM is a great amp from my experiences. The V3 has never clicked with me with my preferred sennheiser 58/595/600 headphones but is very nice with grados. Unfortunately, I never used my 701's with the V3. But I do know the 701 sounds extremely good with the SLAM.

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 39
The XCAN v3 will most likely sound excellant with the K701 (others have reported it does), since it does so with the HD6XX's, and all Grados - assuming you have the right set up to complement them. It would sound especially good with the PinkFloyd mods. And of course it's a major value, comparing favorably to much more expensive amps.

However, from what I've read in the various reviews of the K701's is that they may benefit from a tube amp with more tube-like SQ, since they're so neutral by themselves. As those above have noted, the XCAN v3 is a tube hybrid, and has more of a SS SQ than SET tube SQ. Although, drarthurwells swears that they sound great with the BADA PH12 (also a tube hybrid).

I guess, if it were my money, I'd be tempted to try the BADA PH12 (you can get if from Pacific Valve with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee), or the Woo Audio 3 (only with the upgraded tubes - it reportedly sounds as good as the SP's and Raptor for half the price), or, if you don't mind spending a lot more - the SP PPX3 Slam with the upgrades.

But... if you don't want to spend more than $300 to $400, you will find it difficult to beat the XCAN v3.

GF2

Aug 8, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 39
At $300 used the X-Can V3 is a bargain. Spend another $135 to do the PinkFloyd mods and to get a pair of Russian 6H23-EB tubes and you have an outstanding amp.

I listen to my K701 and HD600 out of an X-Can V3 as described above and I love it. Could the Singlepower soud better? only you can answer that, specially considering the much higher price.

You may want to give the Heed CanAmp a try. It is a SS amp new to the market, PinkFloyd loves it. I am gettin one on loan soon to test and will let you know what my impression is. Good luck.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
At $300 used the X-Can V3 is a bargain. Spend another $135 to do the PinkFloyd mods and to get a pair of Russian 6H23-EB tubes and you have an outstanding amp.

I listen to my K701 and HD600 out of an X-Can V3 as described above and I love it. Could the Singlepower soud better? only you can answer that, specially considering the much higher price.

how does your mapletree compare w/ the x-can driving the k701s and hd600s?
also, how much does the musical fidelity power supply (in the box like the x-can) improve things vs the std wall wart?

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2

I guess, if it were my money, I'd be tempted to try the BADA PH12 (you can get if from Pacific Valve with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee), or the Woo Audio 3 (only with the upgraded tubes - it reportedly sounds as good as the SP's and Raptor for half the price), or, if you don't mind spending a lot more - the SP PPX3 Slam with the upgrades.

GF2

I am curious regarding your comment the Bada reportedly sounds as good as SP's. Very few people own or have even heard the Bada from my what I gather from reading head-fi. I have yet to read a single head to head comparison between the Bada and any Singlepower. Your choice of words .... reportedly .... indicates you have likely not heard either the Bada or the Singlepower .... let alone compared them .... correct?

I have also never read this claim attributed directly to anyone .... just a vague referance from a member here to some unidentified person or persons without any evidence this was indeed the truth. While I am sure its fine to make any recommendation, in effect, you are simply repeating a statement that you have no idea is actually true.

Recommending gear without any real knowledge of said gear is a sure fire way to misinform someone counting on our expertise to guide them. We all offer nothing more than our opinions, but how can we have opinions and be recommending gear when we have never heard the gear in question??? I am pointing this out not to pick on you .... but to put into perspective how little value uniformed statements offer. If you have heard the Bada and made such comparisons please accept my apology and give us some input. But I read this board daily and have for a few years now .... and again .... I have yet to see such a comparison.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I am curious regarding your comment the Bada reportedly sounds as good as SP's.

My note doesn't suggest the BADA PH12 sounds as good, or better than the SP's.

It suggests others have suggested the WooAudio 3 with the upgraded tubes sounds as good as as the Raptor, or SP's (specifically the PPX3's).

Futher... you will note that I suggest that "if I was going to invest that much" I'd probably try the PPX3 Slam, if I wanted a tube sound.

My note in no way misleads anyone. It merely reports my experiences and those of others reported on Headfi and elsewhere.

But... I do appreciate your points, biases and sensitivities - as others should as well.

GF2

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 39
GF2,

Then that implies or suggests that others have done this comparison (and have thusly reached this conclusion) does it not? Given that you have made the super vague "some people say" phrase, can you point out where this has been made?

And I disagree that it is not misleading. If some people on this forum did in fact make that statement, can you provide a link? comparing the PPX3/Woo3, PPX3/Bada, etc... Because unless you do cite your sources, it seems to me that the "some people" in actual fact only refer to you.

Furthermore given how people tend to read forums, people will place alot more validity into your statements than you think. Which by your own admission, seems hard to substantiate.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
My note doesn't suggest the BADA PH12 sounds as good, or better than the SP's.

It suggests others have suggested the WooAudio 3 with the upgraded tubes sounds as good as as the Raptor, or SP's (specifically the PPX3's).

Futher... you will note that I suggest that "if I was going to invest that much" I'd probably try the PPX3 Slam, if I wanted a tube sound.

My note in no way misleads anyone. It merely reports my experiences and those of others reported on Headfi and elsewhere.

But... I do appreciate your points, biases and sensitivities - as others should as well.

GF2

But this is the problem .... you are suggesting what others have SUPPOSEDLY suggested. Who are these people/members you are quoting ???

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 39
uh oh, team Singlepower is cracking the whip.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think he has the right to "discuss" what he would do based on reading reviews and posts, or should he get a lawyer to run through his posts before he puts them up
confused.gif

Lighten up.
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
But this is the problem .... you are suggesting what others have SUPPOSEDLY suggested. Who are these people/members you are quoting ???

It's not a problem! The guy is just trying to help.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
uh oh, team Singlepower is cracking the whip.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think he has the right to "discuss" what he look into based on reading reviews and posts, or should he get a lawyer to read run through his posts before he puts them up. Lighten up.

If he has in fact read those comments he should not have a problem directing us to them. I'd really be interested in those comments. I've searched and haven't found anything substaintial to substantiate what he said. Morever if they exist,I'd love to know the context of the comments (like what system it was used on, if it was a meet, etc..). But as I said, it seems to me that it is only based upon his own conjecture.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
or should he get a lawyer to read run through his posts before he puts them up

I am a lawyer. Precision in the use of words is a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, avoidance of unsubstantiated hearsay when making recommendations to others about how to spend their money is also a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
There is no charge for this advice.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back