MF Xcan v3 or PPX3-6SN7 for K701s?
Aug 9, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
I wouldn't say the original tubes are crap but they are bright and little thin sounding and that's to complement hd6XX kind of sound

OK - you're right. Crap is a juvinile way to put it. I first tried them with the original tubes and it was really nothing special to me. Even though I bought them with Telefunken tubes, I wanted to try the original ones to see how big the difference was. It was bigger than I thought it would be. I need to get going with the Floyd mod which should take it even further.

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #32 of 39
The stock tubes, add highs, clarity and detail to the Senns, which they need to remove their veil/fog (of course, with all the right components, cables, fully burnt in, etc.) - making them sound much more like Grados. However, they are a bit bright with Grados in the amps stock form. They sound much better with the Grados, as well as the Senns after the PinkFloyd mods, which seem to darken the amps sound a bit.

But, If they're still too bright / lean for you, you can replace them with the Amperex's, or 6H23N-EB's, which have a warmer sound. As for me, I like my Senns to sound a bit like my Grados.

GF2

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
how does your mapletree compare w/ the x-can driving the k701s and hd600s?
also, how much does the musical fidelity power supply (in the box like the x-can) improve things vs the std wall wart?

I have not tried their power supply, however in PinkFloyd's website he discusses that it contains mostly a thoroidal transformer. To me it seems like a lot of money for just a power supply.

The Mapletree costs about twice as much. Personally I do not think it would be a fair comparison with cans like the AKG K701/K340 or Grado's RS-1. However if my can was the Senn HD580/600/650 I would want an X-Can V3.

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I have not tried their power supply, however in PinkFloyd's website he discusses that it contains mostly a thoroidal transformer. To me it seems like a lot of money for just a power supply.

The Mapletree costs about twice as much. Personally I do not think it would be a fair comparison with cans like the AKG K701/K340 or Grado's RS-1. However if my can was the Senn HD580/600/650 I would want an X-Can V3.

The PSU makes a sonic difference but the MF X-PSUv3 is such a rip off!

It really should list for about $249. as it is just a single transformer in the matching box. I wish I could get more of the 2500ma PSU that I was selling, but there no longer made.

If there was a market for better PSU's I'd order up 20 or 30 have nice cases made and sell them for $149. From what I've seen here, I'd sell 2 or 3 tops and get stuck with a whole bunch!

B
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
I guess, if it were my money, I'd be tempted to try the BADA PH12 (you can get if from Pacific Valve with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee), or the Woo Audio 3 (only with the upgraded tubes - it reportedly sounds as good as the SP's and Raptor for half the price), or, if you don't mind spending a lot more - the SP PPX3 Slam with the upgrades.
GF2

i like my woo
(and so wood you)
but "good as raptor"
can't be true!
from "green tubes with slam" 2nd edition by dr weuss
wink.gif

when i gave my daughter k701's, i wanted to also give her the best of the amps i had available. these were a woo 3 (unmodded but with nos amperex tubes) and a ray samuals sr-71. now, she loves tubes, her main rig is a classic fisher 400 w/orig tele's, so I hoped to surprise her with the woo. (i'm such a good dad, ahem). anyway, after weeks of comparing the two with a lot of rock, jazz and classical 16 bit and vinyl there was no question that ray's little guy was the one: dead quiet, tons of prat, imaging to spare, tight tight bAss...

i am using a very very good tube power amp, and i have the woo, and in the past had a melos (w/bugle boys). but the sr71 gives more of the refinement of sound that my berning amp provides than does the woo 3. the woo 3 is great for the money; but imho the current best deal in headphone audio may well be the availability of used sr-71's in this forum. unreal for the money, and it's friggin portable, and op amp swappable!)

the woo 3 with mods as described by some here may jump ahead of the sr71. but unmodded, it can't touch the sr71 (except obviously it has tube warmth et al). then again one of the typical comments about ray's ss amps is that they manage to have some of that same sorta magic. as a tube lover I agree with all who have suggested that (do a search, you'll find the comments). anyway. like the good dr said: woo 3 as good as raptor sounds like a stretttttttccccccccchhhhhhhhh for sure.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #36 of 39
You haven't heard the Woo 3 unless you've tried the Tung Sol / Cetron 7236, or 5998 as the power tube. The stock GE 6AS7 is weak. Rolling the signal tubes can provide some improvement, but nothing like rolling the power tube.

And... apparently the more recent Woo 3's have better caps than the older ones - which likely is part of the explanation.

Regarding how it compares to the SP's and Raptor, I must rely on the observations of those who have compared them, and report that the Woo 3 compares quite favorably for half the price.

Again... only with high impedence phones like the HD650/600's.

I invite you to do the research of the various relevant threads to see what I mean.

GF2

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
You haven't heard the Woo 3 unless you've tried the Tung Sol / Cetron 7236, or 5998 as the power tube. The stock GE 6AS7 is weak. Rolling the signal tubes can provide some improvement, but nothing like rolling the power tube.
GF2

VERY glad to hear this. I bought a 5998 yesterday and am waiting for delivery

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #38 of 39
GF2,

I really think you need to at least head out to a meet or get together with someone with higher level equipment or even just different stuff. There is a big difference between "I heard someone say X about Y" and actually hearing that item. In my time at Head Fi I have come to realize that if I am to use someone else's opinion as a guiding force, in the very least, it helps to be able to place that opinion within a context. Using loose terms really isn't helpful, especially if you haven't heard them for yourself. That is where I think allot of people may be misled about your posts.

Moreover a factor to consider especially with amps is tube rolling or op amp rolling. That being said another factor is compatible tubes and circuit design.

I bring this up because you have said that the Woo Audio 3 works fairly well with high impedance cans. I have also read that the Woo 3 does not work well with low impedance headphones due to the high output impedance, among other things. Then again, I have heard the opposite about this amp (that it does work well with low impedance cans). What do I believe?

It is also worthy of note that even after reading impressions I also find myself disagreeing a lot with them (with stuff that I own and/or have heard). At this point the only impressiosns that I trust are my own or are those that I can put into a good context relative to myself. For example, I know people who favor different things than I do, yet I trust them becasue they know what I value and are able to give me advice keeping those differences in mind.

From my standpoint, if the Woo Audio 3 does not work well with low impedance headphones, that negates a lot of its benefits, because my main cans ATM, the K701s, are low impedance and low sensitivity. Moreover, I also own CD3000s and HF-1s, more low impedance cans. But I started with high impedance cans (650s). IMO a good amp should work well with both, either through tuning (like tube rolling) or through inherent design. It is not say that an amp like the Woo Audio 3 isn't a good design, but finding out that cans that I like now wouldn't pair well with them is a bummer.

I guess in conclusion what I need to say is that listening for yourself is the key. While reading impressions (or summarized impressions) is good, there is only oh so much value that can and should be derived from them. I also think that planning gear for the long term is a good idea as well. If I look back around this time last year I never would have though that I would own what I do now.

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #39 of 39
"I am a lawyer. Precision in the use of words is a good thing. Also, avoidance of unsubstantiated hearsay when making recommendations to others about how to spend their money is also a good thing. There is no charge for this advice."

I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on TV, but it sounds like a real lawyer has given us some sound (solid) advice. . . . and for free no less.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back