Meze Liric Closed Back
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 164
Rule of Law : "never make the 1st version perfect, always dial in flaws that need at least 2 more revisions to fleece $$$$$$$$ the obsessed who will have to buy all 3...."
More like minimum viable product (MVP). Get a product to market early and improve with multiple or future iterations vs. trying to get the "perfect" product to market, which may be never. That last 10% improvement could take as long and/or cost as much as the entire 90% R&D of the initial product. Plus the initial capital to sustain and fund R&D.

Can't wait to read about the release. 2k is certainly a breathe of fresh air compared to the recent 4-5k HP products recently released. Thank you Meze.

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #34 of 164
No headphone should cost 2k dollars, pounds, euro or whatever. Speakers? yes! absolutely! but headphones?! a device you wear on your head that outputs tiny sound waves in comparison to speakers. The most I have paid for a headphone (Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature) was £900 ($1,200 U.S.D), and that is the limit I would spend on any headphone. Not so long ago, there where only 4 or 5 headphones in the world that cost more than £1,000. I wish those days would come back. There is really no need for headphones to cost more than 1K. These small companies are milking every penny they can out of your pockets, just because they can, and the gullible fall for it, every time.
Whilst I am not too fond of the rising prices of headphones (and IEMs) these days, I don't think that they are inherently unworthy of a sticker tag above the $1,000 mark. Specifically, it wouldn't be right to pigeonhole all of the "offenders" within the same bracket. There are a great many products that absolutely deserve to be placed in a certain price category, relevant to its competitors - this includes the "kilobuck" headphones in this particular discussion.

In any case, $2,000 is a large chunk of change, indeed. However, in the context of today's "Head-Fi" market, this is actually a reasonable asking price for a flagship (closed-back) headphone. We should refrain from comparing the contemporary market with the years of old; what was $1,000 then is probably closer to $2,500 now. Sadly, this is also true for a vast majority of products.

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #35 of 164

Oooh, that is one sexy headphone!

Meze's quite fond of introducing different colorways for their headphones, so I wonder what a LIRIC, with a copper-clad cup facade, might look like? :)

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #36 of 164
Oooh, that is one sexy headphone!

Meze's quite fond of introducing different colorways for their headphones, so I wonder what a LIRIC, with a copper-clad cup facade, might look like? :)
Agreed. Someone mentioned the Stealth earlier on this thread: personally for me, the Liric looks to be "stealth" done correctly, at least aesthetically. Very keen to demo...

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #42 of 164
I think the Liric looks beautiful. Just the right amount of copper accents. Now I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I do hope it's easier to power than the Empyrean. With a slightly smaller driver, it might be.

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #44 of 164
Hmmm, the user manual on Meze's website says the earpads are non-detachable. Not crazy about that.

"Non-detachable ear pads
Do not attempt to pull, remove,
replace or repair this component."

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #45 of 164
I think the Liric looks beautiful. Just the right amount of copper accents. Now I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I do hope it's easier to power than the Empyrean. With a slightly smaller driver, it might be.
Empyrean:

Impedance: 31.6Ω
NominalSPL: 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)

Liric:

Impedance: 30Ω
NominalSPL: 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)

So they are very similar. I would say they are easy to power for a full size headphones, perhaps even very easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back