Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #12,931 of 13,028
Anyone has a recommendation for a closed back counterpart for the empys? I was thinking liric or Z1R. Heard that the Lirics are brighter than the empys. Any other suggestions? Preferably planars
Atrium closed has also that Kind of musicality.
Personally I chose the Liric, but thought the AC deserves a mention

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #12,932 of 13,028
Anyone has a recommendation for a closed back counterpart for the empys? I was thinking liric or Z1R. Heard that the Lirics are brighter than the empys. Any other suggestions? Preferably planars
I haven't heard the Lirics or any closed back planars for that matter. But I do own the Z1R and if you are wanting a warm, non-fatiguing "fun" listen, they definitely fit that category. Light, comfortable and the build on them is top notch. They seal really well and haven't struggled with any genre I've thrown at them. Tried the Fostex 900 MKII's which definitely slammed a bit harder but the high peaks were just too much, the Z1R is about 90-95% there and I can listen to them all day.
My goal was to have a set of Empyreans compliment them for two warm leaning fun headphones and a set of Tungsten DS for the clinical listening.

Wish I could give you a comparison but I can say I'm a happy owner of the Z1R and hope to keep them for a long time :beyersmile:

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #12,933 of 13,028
VC is worth a look - it has planar-like bass and speed. More refined than Z1R.

Feb 26, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #12,934 of 13,028
I haven't heard the Lirics or any closed back planars for that matter. But I do own the Z1R and if you are wanting a warm, non-fatiguing "fun" listen, they definitely fit that category. Light, comfortable and the build on them is top notch. They seal really well and haven't struggled with any genre I've thrown at them. Tried the Fostex 900 MKII's which definitely slammed a bit harder but the high peaks were just too much, the Z1R is about 90-95% there and I can listen to them all day.
My goal was to have a set of Empyreans compliment them for two warm leaning fun headphones and a set of Tungsten DS for the clinical listening.

Wish I could give you a comparison but I can say I'm a happy owner of the Z1R and hope to keep them for a long time :beyersmile:
The universal acclaim for the Z1Rs made me take the leap. They are a match made in heaven honestly. The Z1R bass does make the Empys sound bass light after immediate switch :dt880smile:.
IMG_0614.jpg

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #12,935 of 13,028
The universal acclaim for the Z1Rs made me take the leap. They are a match made in heaven honestly. The Z1R bass does make the Empys sound bass light after immediate switch :dt880smile:.
If you try new Ultrasone Signaturw Pure beside these Sony, you tell yourself that Sony has no bass. I was listening Aybbs 1266, Solitaire P, Audeze LCD2, these Sony, Meze Elite and few others cans together and Ultrasone makes every headphone sound weak and bass shy. Its not a very big sound in therms of volume, its just huge in therms of strenght, punch and overall massivness. In therms of sound with very big volume, Audeze LCD2 are great, its a wall of sound, speakers like presentation.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #12,936 of 13,028
IMG_0614.jpg
The Z1R has BIG bass. Enjoy.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #12,937 of 13,028
If you try new Ultrasone Signaturw Pure beside these Sony, you tell yourself that Sony has no bass. I was listening Aybbs 1266, Solitaire P, Audeze LCD2, these Sony, Meze Elite and few others cans together and Ultrasone makes every headphone sound weak and bass shy. Its not a very big sound in therms of volume, its just huge in therms of strenght, punch and overall massivness. In therms of sound with very big volume, Audeze LCD2 are great, its a wall of sound, speakers like presentation.
Ultrasone headphones also have exaggerated V shape signature with shrilling highs.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #12,939 of 13,028
Just received my Empyrean, they're an ex demo set in mint condition.

What's the consensus about the crinkle sound that the drivers make? I've seen some people returning the headphones to Meze, while others say their Empyrean doesn't exhibit this behavior.

If I tip my head left and right while wearing the headphones I can hear the crinkle sound in both drivers, also if I press on the ear cups.

Does everybody's Empyrean do the same or should I think about returning?

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #12,940 of 13,028

What's the consensus about the crinkle sound that the drivers make? I've seen some people returning the headphones to Meze, while others say their Empyrean doesn't exhibit this behavior.

If I tip my head left and right while wearing the headphones I can hear the crinkle sound in both drivers, also if I press on the ear cups.

Return them, the Empyrean usually doesn't exhibit that crinkle sound

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #12,941 of 13,028

I have the Empyrean and Elite and neither of them have any type of crinkle sound.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #12,942 of 13,028
I have the Empyrean and Elite and neither of them have any type of crinkle sound.
I have all Meze Planars, not a single one of them with crinkle.

My first LCD-2C had it back then, but never had it on Meze drivers

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #12,943 of 13,028
Thanks for the replies. Just to confirm, in case the use of the word "crinkle" is incorrect, when the headphones are on your head with no music playing, if you move your head about or press gently on the ear cups there is no noise?

I contacted Meze and their reply was:

"Hearing a crackling noise when you put on your headphones is normal, due to the pressure zone created between your ear and diaphragm. The noise usually goes away when the headphone stabilizes on your head. Do not attempt to push the ear cups. Avoid any hard and fast movements when handling your headphones.
The sound is not affected in this situation".

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #12,944 of 13,028
Thanks for the replies. Just to confirm, in case the use of the word "crinkle" is incorrect, when the headphones are on your head with no music playing, if you move your head about or press gently on the ear cups there is no noise?

"Hearing a crackling noise when you put on your headphones is normal, due to the pressure zone created between your ear and diaphragm. The noise usually goes away when the headphone stabilizes on your head. Do not attempt to push the ear cups. Avoid any hard and fast movements when handling your headphones.
I obtained a new set this week myself. The only sound I hear when moving my head is the alcantara pads slightly shifting against skin. I can reproduce the same sounds just by compressing the earcups and it stops when the pads expand back out but as far as the drivers themselves making noise, nothing.

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #12,945 of 13,028

No, that still doesn't seem right, my Empyrean has never made any kind of crinkling or cracking sound from the drivers, nor my LCD-2C for that matter.

What you describe sounds more like the driver "flex" that you sometimes hear with poorly-implemented dynamic drivers in some IEMs. But I don't think you should ever hear that in a headphone, especially a completely open-back planar one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back