Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 12, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #12,496 of 13,028
has anyone's Empyrean had a driver failure? just wondering as i do not want to buy one used and have to than pay 1200 to send it in for a repair as that is how much it costs.
Yes one ear was dead/ silent, it was at the end of the waranty, or past warranty, It was close...and Meze said: "Don't worry". I got 2 new drivers for free.

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #12,500 of 13,028
Every hp on this price point should include one or two pairs easy changeable pads.

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #12,501 of 13,028
Every hp on this price point should include one or two pairs easy changeable pads.
Meze headphones at this price point certainly do!

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #12,503 of 13,028
I have now finished thoroughly comparing the Angled Alcantara (AA) pads to the Elite Hybrid (EH) pads, Stock Leather (SL), and Stock Alcantara (SA) pads. The simple answer is that I prefer the EH to all, but here are more details according to each category. Keep in mind I love my HD650 and prefer a slightly darker, smoother headphone, so this is opinion driven.

Bass Quantity
SL > EH > SA = AA

Bass Quality
AA > EH > SL = SA

While the AA and SA pads have the least bass of all, they are my favourite for the overall bass experience given just how clean they sound. Gone is the mid-bass bloat of the leather-based pads, which the EH somewhat fixed. These present a bass experience of true flagship level now.

Mids Quality
AA > EH > SA > SL

Mids Quantity
EH > SL > AA = SA

The separation and layering in the mids created by the AA pads is their strength. The lower mids are now much better controlled and there is less of a "Nighthawk" effect to the sound. The EH also somewhat improved from the stock pads, but it introduced a slight "hollowness" to the sound. Hard to describe, but it sounds like there is slightly too much energy in the lower mids that, while warming things up, also added congestion in this region.

Treble Quantity (I couldn't really differentiate quality in this aspect as they all sound pretty good in this regard)
AA > SA > SL > EH

This is my biggest issue with the AA pads. The Empyrean, as with many planars, has too much of an emphasis above 10K. It's a dark headphone that somehow sounds slightly bright and metallic with certain tracks because of it. The EH pads toned this down from all the pads, and this is reaffirmed by prior measurements on the Elite when swapping the stock pads and EH. The AA accentuated it, and certain vocals just sound a bit too thin, piercing, and nasal-y as a result.

Soundstage
EH >= SL > SA > AA

The leather pads, particularly EH, improved the vertical height of the stage, while AA widened it at the expense of height. This may also be a result of the overall thinner sound created by the AA (and SA to a lesser extent). I prefer the EH staging here.

Imaging
AA > EH > SA > SL

The cleaner sound created by the AA certainly helps imaging and makes everything sound more precise. The EH also did this to a lesser extent.

While the AA certainly cleans up the Empyrean in many regards, the effect it has on tonal balance and long-term listening simply is not worth it for me, in my opinion. I will keep the pads anyway because they certainly change the sound a lot, and having the EH, AA, and EL is a nice combination. There is no need for the SA anymore as they are just worse than all the other pads in most elements (the AA does what the SA does much better, so those that prefer the SA will likely prefer the AA over the other pads).

I hope this helps those that were in my situation. I have definitely spent way too much time pad rolling my Empyreans and will now just enjoy the music :)

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #12,504 of 13,028
In addition to the review, here's a beauty pic with pads!

Attachments

• Empyrean Pads.jpg
    Empyrean Pads.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 30, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #12,505 of 13,028
Hi
I am trying to find owners of LCD2f who also own the Meze Emp. I really like the 2f and its sound, but like with everything, I want better.

I tried the LCD-X 2021, and yeah, the detail was better but was robbed of life vs my 2f. Next up was Arya Stealth. Amazing sound stage, detail and comfort...but it cannot get the distance right. The 2f knows when to place vocal/sound away and when to bring them in closer. With the Arya, everything felt too far away and did not stir me at all.

I keep looking at Meze and wonder if they are like the 2f, but with a bit more detail and soundstage.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #12,506 of 13,028
Hi
I am trying to find owners of LCD2f who also own the Meze Emp. I really like the 2f and its sound, but like with everything, I want better.

I tried the LCD-X 2021, and yeah, the detail was better but was robbed of life vs my 2f. Next up was Arya Stealth. Amazing sound stage, detail and comfort...but it cannot get the distance right. The 2f knows when to place vocal/sound away and when to bring them in closer. With the Arya, everything felt too far away and did not stir me at all.

I keep looking at Meze and wonder if they are like the 2f, but with a bit more detail and soundstage.

your safest bet is actually LCD-3F

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #12,507 of 13,028
Hi

Meze Empyrean is at least one level above Arya and LCD2F. Maybe more. Depending on what aspect you're comparing.

Apr 30, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #12,509 of 13,028
Meze Empyrean is at least one level above Arya and LCD2F. Maybe more. Depending on what aspect you're comparing.
Actually, I want to keep close to the sound of the 2f, but gain detail and a bit wider soundstage. After my experience with the Arya Stealth, I really don't want anything that wide or so unable to alter vocal distance when needed.
It's a fine line of more detail but without losing the thick warm sound of the 2f. More soundstage, but without pushing everything too far backend sound like a room.

I saw one person say the Meze is the lovechild of an HD800 and LCD2 lol

Apr 30, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #12,510 of 13,028
Actually, I want to keep close to the sound of the 2f, but gain detail and a bit wider soundstage. After my experience with the Arya Stealth, I really don't want anything that wide or so unable to alter vocal distance when needed.
It's a fine line of more detail but without losing the thick warm sound of the 2f. More soundstage, but without pushing everything too far backend sound like a room.

I saw one person say the Meze is the lovechild of an HD800 and LCD2 lol
I actually think, if you like the LCD2, there is a good chance you will like the Empyrean too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back