Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #11,851 of 12,974
Chord + Meze is indeed a match made in heaven.

I used to own a TT2 with my first Empyrean which unfortunately I had to sell at some point.

I am very happy with my RME-ADI 2 & Soloist 3XP at the moment, but in the long run I might get the TT2 again and probably be done with my audio purchases for quite a few years, if not forever. :)

Chord and Meze really is a match made in heaven.

Recently sold my RME/V281 for the TT2 and it is so well matched to the Empyrean (and Utopia), I don't know why i'd want anything else. I want to replace the standard Empyrean cable with the silver coated upgrade cable, but that's about it. I have the copper upgrade cable, but in XLR with no step down cable for my TT2.

I'm yet to audition Elite, but it sounds to me like doing so would mean owning one headphone only, as it'd likely cover all bases. At the moment the 'own only one' headphone that i've considered the best overall is the D8KP from Final. Perhaps Elite is a step above and takes the crown for me as the 'own only one' choice.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #11,853 of 12,974
Chord and Meze really is a match made in heaven.

Recently sold my RME/V281 for the TT2 and it is so well matched to the Empyrean (and Utopia), I don't know why i'd want anything else. I want to replace the standard Empyrean cable with the silver coated upgrade cable, but that's about it. I have the copper upgrade cable, but in XLR with no step down cable for my TT2.

I'm yet to audition Elite, but it sounds to me like doing so would mean owning one headphone only, as it'd likely cover all bases. At the moment the 'own only one' headphone that i've considered the best overall is the D8KP from Final. Perhaps Elite is a step above and takes the crown for me as the 'own only one' choice.
Seems to me some people just want bright headphones. I suspect classical listeners. That's why 800 and Utopia used to be considered the best, and they're both awfully bright lol, See also the Arya, HEK, etc. You can add Final to that list as well.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #11,854 of 12,974
Seems to me some people just want bright headphones. I suspect classical listeners. That's why 800 and Utopia used to be considered the best, and they're both awfully bright lol, See also the Arya, HEK, etc. You can add Final to that list as well.
No, we classical music listeners don't want bright headphones.
We want headphones with natural timbre, instruments to sound like real instruments with the correct pitch.
Never liked Utopia and HD800/S with classical music, they were both out of tune.

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #11,855 of 12,974
Folks, owners of the copper replacement cable, need your help.

I'm very sensitive to microphonic cables. I love the original Empy cable because it is not microphonic at all. You can move your head as much as you want, there is never any annoying sound from the cable rubbing on your shirt.

So now I want to upgrade my original cable and the Meze copper upgrade triggers all my boxes except one which I'm not sure and I've not been able to find info. Is it as silent as the original? I'm afraid it might not be since the original has a textile cover but the cover is only on the bottom part, what rubs my shirt is mostly the rubber cable and the metal splitter.

I've seen other vendors with "textile" covered aftermarket cables (Drausk Lite) that would be less risky in terms of microphonics but I'm afraid it will not sound as good as the Meze!
Update:

Just got my new Vegan pads (what a name!) and new copper cable. I guess no burnin necessary so I listened to both immediately! hahaha

Vegan pads; I was sceptical but they do actually correct some of the negatives of the leather pads. At first it seemed almost identical. But after a few A-B versus the leather, it is minor, definitely not night and day, but the soundstage seems wider, not as much wide as the Alcantara but a bit more then the leather. Bass is not quite as pronounced as Leather but a bit better defined and refined. Comfort clearly better, not warm, feels fresh even after an hour listening where the Leather start to feel warm after a little while.

Copper cable; I am really happy, not microphonic at all, which was my main fear, and lighter than the original. Sound wise again it is not night and day but still quite a bit of refinement in the sound globally, Treble is a bit more defined but still super sweet which was one aspect I was hoping to improve.

Overall it's not a cheap upgrade but globally very happy with the result and this will make me love the Empys even more and for even longer. Thanks a lot to some of you who replied to my questions.

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #11,856 of 12,974
Apr 7, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #11,857 of 12,974
Apr 7, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #11,858 of 12,974
We’ve discussed a few times in this thread about the pads, I just want to share my opinion: in my setup, for my way of listening and my music there’s no comparison, leather pads are so much better than velour...let me explain why.

With the leather pads the Empyrean is just so real and authentic to acoustic instruments, the timbre is natural and the general tonality is amber. And that tonality is the one I enjoy when I listen live in a theatre. When I close my eyes I can believe I‘m sitting in an auditorium, I feel the pressure and the rumble of the timpani, strings are lifelike.

The Empyrean with the velour is just average, doesn’t really stand out for anything in particular…it’s just another headphone.
If you can try listening to this album

1649362299936.png

Take the first moveme of the first symphony: with the leather pads everything is precisely placed with great imaging, the stage is not as diffuse and you can pinpoint every instrument. You know exactly where the horns and the winds are. And the timpani! they are so real and punchy.
But the biggest difference is how strings are rendered: this is not a warm orchestra, there’s little or no vibrato, strings are lean and dry, but with great articulation. With the velour pads the sounds is plasticky, completely unnatural. Swap them for the leather and the magic is back..the timbre and the tonality are spot on. I couldn’t stopped tapping my fingers with the leather pads but was almost unmoved with the velour ones. That’s the best compliment, I guess!

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #11,859 of 12,974
All,

I need some help!

This afternoon I was reading a thread (might have been this one) and someone had written an in-depth review of the Empyreans and some EQ settings he had come up with based on Oratory's settings for both Leather and Suede pads. I thought I had bookmarked it, but apparently not. I've been searching for an hour and can't find it. Can someone please point me in the right direction? This post/article was a very in-depth review and I believe it was a follow-up after like 200 hours of use or so.

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #11,860 of 12,974
I don't quite understand how EQ settings can be passed to someone else unless you are using the exact same amp, dac, source even cables. Sure there is a general sound signature on the Empys using the velour or leather pads but the amp and dac influence it also quite a bit. I have to admit I've never had an EQ but to me this makes sense for a specific DAP but not much for varied desktop equipments.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #11,861 of 12,974
I understand your point. However, this article was specific about reference points and having made adjustments in certain areas. I wanted to re-read it, and now can't find it. Thank you for sharing your point though - it's a valid one worth considering.

Apr 7, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #11,862 of 12,974
I understand your point. However, this article was specific about reference points and having made adjustments in certain areas. I wanted to re-read it, and now can't find it. Thank you for sharing your point though - it's a valid one worth considering.
If you find it and experiment let us know, I'm intrigued by your findings. Specially since you have quite a "kit" to do comparos and fooling around! hahaha

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #11,863 of 12,974
All,

I need some help!

This afternoon I was reading a thread (might have been this one) and someone had written an in-depth review of the Empyreans and some EQ settings he had come up with based on Oratory's settings for both Leather and Suede pads. I thought I had bookmarked it, but apparently not. I've been searching for an hour and can't find it. Can someone please point me in the right direction? This post/article was a very in-depth review and I believe it was a follow-up after like 200 hours of use or so.

Thanks!
Here is the link. It was part of a review. Tks.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meze-audio-empyrean.23675/reviews#review-28289

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #11,864 of 12,974
Apr 8, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #11,865 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back