Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #11,791 of 12,974
Differences between M11 Plus AK and DX240 are subtle.
Both are great and it comes down to different gusto of the user.
I'm guessing the UI/usability differences significantly out-weigh the SQ differences. I've had iBasso and FiiO DAPs, and they are certainly two different user experiences.

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #11,792 of 12,974
I'm guessing the UI/usability differences significantly out-weigh the SQ differences. I've had iBasso and FiiO DAPs, and they are certainly two different user experiences.
If you are running Android and not Mango or FiiO music player, then they are pretty much the same.
Like using your cellphone.
Both are fast and responsive.
The FiiO is missing the Digital filter and Gain selections being permanently visible at the top information bar.
The iBasso is missing double tap to wake.
Other than that they are the same experience.
Stock iBasso amp is missing a 4.4mm socket.

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #11,793 of 12,974
For portable use the Qudelix k5 is extremely good in my opinion. I use it with Oratory's parametric EQ (alcantara, leather) I couldn't be happier.

It only costs $100, got 2,5 (balanced) and 3,5 (unbalanced) mm outputs, 10-15h of battery power and supports both Bluetooth and USB-pairings with phones/tablets/computers. Also its only 25 grams (lol) and even got a belt buckle clip!

Their support and shipping is further incredible (5 days from South Korea to western part of Europe).

This might read as an ad but damn I love that little thing!

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #11,794 of 12,974
For portable use the Qudelix k5 is extremely good in my opinion. I use it with Oratory's parametric EQ (alcantara, leather) I couldn't be happier.

It only costs $100, got 2,5 (balanced) and 3,5 (unbalanced) mm outputs, 10-15h of battery power and supports both Bluetooth and USB-pairings with phones/tablets/computers. Also its only 25 grams (lol) and even got a belt buckle clip!

Their support and shipping is further incredible (5 days from South Korea to western part of Europe).

This might read as an ad but damn I love that little thing!
I'm pretty sure attempting to promote/share the awesomeness of anything based on our experiences will possibly come off as an ad or that something personal is gained from it. I feel like that whenever I try to share Meze Audio stuff with others, as if I get commission or something, haha, I just want others to experience all that I did. 🎃

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #11,795 of 12,974
IMG_3250.jpg

So these just arrived. I know this is probably going to spark some debate but from my early impressions I'm really unimpressed with them.

This is my second time owning them. First time I was driving them from an iPhone and a Hip Dac and sold them to buy a few other items that really sparked my journey into the hobby.

I was always curious what I'd think of them now that I've had a couple more years in the hobby and a collection of other headphones that I just adore.

I'll spend a few weeks A/B'ing with my other cans to see if they do anything particularly better than others but on first listen I'd probably rather keep my LCDX 2021 and just add a sub bass shelf.

Interesting as I upgraded to the empyrean from an LCD-X. While I admit they didn't blow me away off first listen (best to limit expectations when spending 2-3x from previous headphone) I do believe they outshine the LCD-X in many ways. To my ears, the empyrean sounded so much more lifelike - almost too real the first few listens compared the LCD-X. Another difference is that I'll find myself having more patience listening to new tracks on these than another other headphone I've auditioned. The immersion I feel with the Empy is something I can't get with the LCD-X.

Also worth noting that once I added in the Burson Soloist to the mix it really widened the gap. I think it's worth holding on to them for a bit to see if your impressions change with time but just my 2 cents.

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #11,796 of 12,974
Interesting as I upgraded to the empyrean from an LCD-X. While I admit they didn't blow me away off first listen (best to limit expectations when spending 2-3x from previous headphone) I do believe they outshine the LCD-X in many ways. To my ears, the empyrean sounded so much more lifelike - almost too real the first few listens compared the LCD-X. Another difference is that I'll find myself having more patience listening to new tracks on these than another other headphone I've auditioned. The immersion I feel with the Empy is something I can't get with the LCD-X.

Also worth noting that once I added in the Burson Soloist to the mix it really widened the gap. I think it's worth holding on to them for a bit to see if your impressions change with time but just my 2 cents.
I can confirm this. To my ears as well the Empyrean sounds a lot more lifelike than the LCD-X and I find the Empy more engaging. It is also way more coherent.

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #11,797 of 12,974

I can confirm this. To my ears as well the Empyrean sounds a lot more lifelike than the LCD-X and I find the Empy more engaging. It is also way more coherent.
Another thing about the empyrean I never really appreciated but is brought up is the comfort. I like the sound the LCDs but I couldn't see myself enjoying wearing them for long periods of time. The empyreans not only are engaging/immersive sound wise as stated above but are just a joy to wear, which does affect the listening experiencing.

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #11,798 of 12,974

I agree with some of your opinions. I spent another 3-4 hours yesterday with them and in isolation they sound okay. But when I A/B them next to my RAD-0, VC or LCDX 2021 the Empy's sound quite bass bloated, specifically in the mid bass and lacking in detail and resolution. I do think that the Empy is a masterclass in comfort. They also have excellent imaging and spatial cues. Running them off the Diablo gives them a bit more energy which is much needed in my opinion and livens them up a bit.

Feb 19, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #11,799 of 12,974
I agree with some of your opinions. I spent another 3-4 hours yesterday with them and in isolation they sound okay. But when I A/B them next to my RAD-0, VC or LCDX 2021 the Empy's sound quite bass bloated, specifically in the mid bass and lacking in detail and resolution. I do think that the Empy is a masterclass in comfort. They also have excellent imaging and spatial cues. Running them off the Diablo gives them a bit more energy which is much needed in my opinion and livens them up a bit.
I think that when listening to warm headphones like the Empys (also extended to my Sony Z7s, and, from what I've read, to the Z1Rs) you shouldn't try to compare with other conventional headphones, because they will always lose the confrontation... With Empys or Z1Rs is just about to listen to the music and enjoy the experience, that's what I do with my Z7s.

Feb 19, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #11,800 of 12,974
Well, after some months of use I have to say that Empy are not for me. Very dark headphones, they remind me the old audeze lcd2. Not enough presence on the highs, and honestly nothing to go mad for. Even a pure silver cable didn't make much difference.
I don't get all the hype for this headphone honestly, they are far from competing with other TOTL headphones.

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #11,801 of 12,974
I had the same experiences when I tried it first some years ago but some month ago I bought one for a very good price and actually it is my favorite headphone. And usually I prefer headphones with a different sounding (L700 und HD800S). I don't miss anything in highs or other frequency regions. And for me it doesn't lack details or resolution. The presentation of details/resolution isn't "in your face" like you get from HD800S, but it's all there.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #11,802 of 12,974
It seems what some people don't like about the Empyrean (subdued highs and slight lack of resolution) are the things I appreciate it for. It's a different beast sure. But its sound signature is "easy and forgiving" and its comfort is unmatched IMO. Didn't even have to invest in system upgrades to enjoy it either. I've sold a couple of TOTL headphones in favor of it. I'm keeping mine. Of course YMMV. Great thing about this hobby...lots of flavors!:smile_phones:

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #11,803 of 12,974
Thanks to some excellent customer service from the folks at Drop, I decided to pull the trigger on what turns out was their last pair of Meze Empyrean's in stock! Looking forward to my first foray into TotL Planars. I have a lot of reading to do between now and whenever they arrive. Any useful tidbits of info I should go check out and/or know before diving into 11,802 posts?

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #11,804 of 12,974
I owned Empyreans. Very natural but ‘soft’ sounding. My best sonic experiences with Empyreans occurred when the amp was a HeadAmp GSX-mini and the h/p cables were Arctic Cables Palladium Series - XLR terminations through the ‘balanced’ outlets.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #11,805 of 12,974
I owned Empyreans. Very natural but ‘soft’ sounding. My best sonic experiences with Empyreans occurred when the amp was a HeadAmp GSX-mini and the h/p cables were Arctic Cables Palladium Series - XLR terminations through the ‘balanced’ outlets.
I've read that they're 'subdued', which is one thing that draws me to them. As you know from my Focal side, I have a hard time dealing with "harsh" headphones... How do they sound on your Woo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back