Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #11,611 of 13,037
Okay I'll join with my pairing of choice, Empy + Euforia. I most definitely agree that Empy takes very well to a good tube pairing. :)

EmpyEuforia2021.jpg

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #11,615 of 13,037
If someone ships to me his/her cooper Empyrean, I will take them a pic for this thread :relieved:
If you ship your camera to me, I will finally be able to take a proper set of photos of the copper Empyrean 🎃. Great set of cans but very schitty camera in comparison.

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #11,616 of 13,037
I'm really loving my empyrean, do they really need to break in? Do folks just leave them running in the beggining? I'd prefer to listen to them and it seems a waste to have running without me!

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #11,618 of 13,037
Has anyone tried Danacables Lazuli Reference (or Reference Plus) for the Empyreans? How about Arctic Magnus cables? Really curious if there's a preference or difference between them. I've read a lot of good things about both.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #11,619 of 13,037
I'm really loving my empyrean, do they really need to break in? Do folks just leave them running in the beggining? I'd prefer to listen to them and it seems a waste to have running without me!
Just enjoy it. It will break in even if you do not leave it running.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #11,620 of 13,037

I've had mine about a month and it sounds better every day. No need to leave it playing - just let it happen when you enjoy them.

The best thing I did was to pair them with a Denafrips Ares II and a high quality tube amp. I couldn't recommend this combo more highly. The Ares II gives the Empyrean a beautiful wide open soundstage, and the Miltra OTL-8XT enhances the lush and organic sounds of the Empys perfectly.

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #11,621 of 13,037
I've had mine about a month and it sounds better every day. No need to leave it playing - just let it happen when you enjoy them.

The best thing I did was to pair them with a Denafrips Ares II and a high quality tube amp. I couldn't recommend this combo more highly. The Ares II gives the Empyrean a beautiful wide open soundstage, and the Miltra OTL-8XT enhances the lush and organic sounds of the Empys perfectly.
That sounds like an amazing combo! I have an mhdt orchid on the way. Was really interested in the Ares II as well.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #11,622 of 13,037
Personal beliefs & preference. It's whatever you want to be nit picky about and what you want to enjoy.

While I believe some cans may need burn-in, I believe in brain burn-in a lot more & that ultimately it doesn't matter (to me, minimum). The most complicated organ rests on our shoulders and having brain damage actively proves forevermore it handles and processes more than we can consciously be picky about. So while sound may change, our brains will be adjusting and tweaking quite a bit to make it less problematic. Ultimately falls down to the individual and their whiny-ness and what they choose to believe, and in turn preach.

To me, don't care for such trivial stuff, have other matters that require energy more than slight sound changes. And have learned enough about sound to confidently say it doesn't matter in general. But if you want it to matter it doesn't hurt anyone either, save for electric bills or other life crap that happens. Similar to cable burn-in or hearing cable difference. I do and don't believe in it and can/can't tell a difference. But ultimately don't care enough either which way, I know I'll get cable upgrades when I can afford it, and also that I cannot really, if at all, tell any differences whatsoever.

What you hear and then choose to believe in also makes a difference, because as humans we are influenced quite easily, and experiences can change it or confirm it. Like hearing something after coming across someone else sharing that tidbit, or hearing a change after burn-in because you believe burn-in makes a difference.

I didn't bother with such crap. I listen to my stuff to listen and enjoy, I can trust my brain to adjust accordingly. It's life & nothing's perfect, and I rather listen more and complain less. Also, I'm listening for me, and to relax and get lost in the music. It's why I jumped from V-Moda to Empyrean, and why I'm sticking to Meze there on out. Antonio created it with that intent and it's the only time I've had such a connection with headphones. I will do just that, irregardless of how factual burn-in and cabling might be, because I don't care enough, and mind over matter being a real thing in many ways, it'll become that reality for me because I chose to believe in it so firmly.

Hope that makes sense. And glad for you getting the Empyrean, they're excellent cans, I'm modding them aesthetically to have a custom pair and because I can, they're so beautiful to look at and excellently tactile. 🦇

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #11,623 of 13,037
Personal beliefs & preference. It's whatever you want to be nit picky about and what you want to enjoy.

While I believe some cans may need burn-in, I believe in brain burn-in a lot more & that ultimately it doesn't matter (to me, minimum). The most complicated organ rests on our shoulders and having brain damage actively proves forevermore it handles and processes more than we can consciously be picky about. So while sound may change, our brains will be adjusting and tweaking quite a bit to make it less problematic. Ultimately falls down to the individual and their whiny-ness and what they choose to believe, and in turn preach.

To me, don't care for such trivial stuff, have other matters that require energy more than slight sound changes. And have learned enough about sound to confidently say it doesn't matter in general. But if you want it to matter it doesn't hurt anyone either, save for electric bills or other life crap that happens. Similar to cable burn-in or hearing cable difference. I do and don't believe in it and can/can't tell a difference. But ultimately don't care enough either which way, I know I'll get cable upgrades when I can afford it, and also that I cannot really, if at all, tell any differences whatsoever.

What you hear and then choose to believe in also makes a difference, because as humans we are influenced quite easily, and experiences can change it or confirm it. Like hearing something after coming across someone else sharing that tidbit, or hearing a change after burn-in because you believe burn-in makes a difference.

I didn't bother with such crap. I listen to my stuff to listen and enjoy, I can trust my brain to adjust accordingly. It's life & nothing's perfect, and I rather listen more and complain less. Also, I'm listening for me, and to relax and get lost in the music. It's why I jumped from V-Moda to Empyrean, and why I'm sticking to Meze there on out. Antonio created it with that intent and it's the only time I've had such a connection with headphones. I will do just that, irregardless of how factual burn-in and cabling might be, because I don't care enough, and mind over matter being a real thing in many ways, it'll become that reality for me because I chose to believe in it so firmly.

Hope that makes sense. And glad for you getting the Empyrean, they're excellent cans, I'm modding them aesthetically to have a custom pair and because I can, they're so beautiful to look at and excellently tactile. 🦇
Good words... Seemed to me that I was reading the Sound Science Sub-forum :beerchug:

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #11,624 of 13,037
Good words... Seemed to me that I was reading the Sound Science Sub-forum :beerchug:
Just in a much more civilized manner, than in the sound science sub forum

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #11,625 of 13,037

Great points and thanks for the insights. When I first got a chance to listen to them I had no intention of buying the empyreans. I wasn't really interested in them to begin with. But out of all the headphones I sampled that day for some reason I kept reaching back for them. Then I kept thinking about them after I left the store. They did something that day

And I'm also considering the upgrade cables but first I need more time to enjoy them. Well I am pending a dac/amp upgrade so there's that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back