Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #11,206 of 13,028
I don't recall them encouraging switching pads.
They mention that the hybrids are specifically designed for the Elite.

A few pages above I have mentioned that I tested the Empyrean with the hybrid pads with interesting results.
The fact that 2 different sets are included with the Empyrean surely is encouragement to experiment with pads

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #11,207 of 13,028
What is so perplexing about the pads? Yes, they are interchangeable as the Elite and the Empyrean share the exact same chassis and dimensions. No, apparently Meze is not encouraging to use the shallower hybrid pads with the Empyrean as it was tuned for the Elite. At the same time many people eat bacon with maple syrup, so experimenting is not forbidden. I only read one comment so far where the owner did not like the hybrids on the Empyrean but that is only one opinion to date.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #11,209 of 13,028
So the new Elite hybrid earpads are now listed and specifically only for the Elite. Very disappointing.

They likely would also fit Empyrean.

They aren't showing in the drop down box for the Empyrean pads along with the the others, only for the Elite. They either aren't compatible or Meze don't seem to want to encourage Empyrean owners to purchase them.

The hybrid earpads were specifically developed and designed for Elite, indeed. While you most definitely can experiment and swap earpads as you please, we recommend using the hybrid pads with the Elite, if you want to get the best out of your headphones. We've listed them separately on our website so there is no confusion as to which earpads come with which headphones. But if you want to experiment with different earpads, we'd very much like to read your findings. :) Oh and also, yes, all earpads are compatible with both Empyrean and Elite, size-wise.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #11,210 of 13,028
Meze tuned the headphones with earpads in mind.
They Think that the Elite should be used with the Hybrid or Alcantara pads.
While the Empyrean should be used with leather or Alcantara (or the vegan option which according to Meze sounds identical to the leather option)

They are 100% compatible if you try to use the Hybrid pads on the Empyrean or Vice versa
I could not have said it better. :smile:

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Sep 16, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #11,211 of 13,028
The hybrid earpads were specifically developed and designed for Elite, indeed. While you most definitely can experiment and swap earpads as you please, we recommend using the hybrid pads with the Elite, if you want to get the best out of your headphones. We've listed them separately on our website so there is no confusion as to which earpads come with which headphones. But if you want to experiment with different earpads, we'd very much like to read your findings. :) Oh and also, yes, all earpads are compatible with both Empyrean and Elite, size-wise.

We love experimentation 😉

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #11,212 of 13,028
I don't think there was any doubt about the specificity of the hybrid pads for the Elite, rather their compatibility with the Empyrean which is not clear on your website (in spite of what has been posted here). Thanks for the clarification.

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #11,213 of 13,028
I'm contemplating about getting a second hand empy. So what are the experiences here when it comes to reliability? Driver failures? Broken handbands? Stretching leather? Parts becoming loose? Are they as solid and almost flawless as they look?

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #11,214 of 13,028
I'm contemplating about getting a second hand empy. So what are the experiences here when it comes to reliability? Driver failures? Broken handbands? Stretching leather? Parts becoming loose? Are they as solid and almost flawless as they look?
They are solid and as flawless as they look
Only very very few failures, and in those cases they were rectified fast

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #11,216 of 13,028
I just got a pair second hand from the original owner, he had purchased 6 months ago.

The seller took very good care of them, and the only marks of wear/tear were on the outside cardboard box they came in :wink:

Otherwise, the aluminium case, headphones, pads etc are immaculate. I feel I've got a bit of a bargain especially considering the very nice 10ft Silver Dragon XLR cable the seller included, which I can also swap with my LCD-2C.

This is a headphone that is definitely built to go the distance, look after them and they will last a very long time.

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #11,218 of 13,028
Curious to see what people think of the hybrid pads on the regular Empyrean! Tempted to order but I think I should wait for reviews.
I have provided feedback in the Elite thread.
I quite like them, they add some clarity and tone down the mid bass a little.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #11,219 of 13,028
Curious to see what people think of the hybrid pads on the regular Empyrean! Tempted to order but I think I should wait for reviews.
Well... that didn't last long. I went ahead and ordered the pads. Should be fun to listen to everything again and compare with the other pads. I figured that regardless of what people say I will be too curious to hear them myself.

I have 0 plans getting any other headphones unless there's some miracle headphones for less than $1k that would be better than the Empys. Short of spending a thousand or more, I'm also done with equipment (amp, dac, cables, etc) so I'm at that point where I'm enjoying my set-up but once in a while I get the itch to want to try something new.

I have provided feedback in the Elite thread.
I quite like them, they add some clarity and tone down the mid bass a little.
You have a ton of posts there so it was hard to find haha. I've read the Elite reviews and based on that I'm still probably an OG Empy person since I'd prefer a bit more fun sound than neutral. Would you say that the sound of the hybrid pads on OG Empy is in between of the leather and Alcantara pads?

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #11,220 of 13,028
Well... that didn't last long. I went ahead and ordered the pads. Should be fun to listen to everything again and compare with the other pads. I figured that regardless of what people say I will be too curious to hear them myself.

I have 0 plans getting any other headphones unless there's some miracle headphones for less than $1k that would be better than the Empys. Short of spending a thousand or more, I'm also done with equipment (amp, dac, cables, etc) so I'm at that point where I'm enjoying my set-up but once in a while I get the itch to want to try something new.

You have a ton of posts there so it was hard to find haha. I've read the Elite reviews and based on that I'm still probably an OG Empy person since I'd prefer a bit more fun sound than neutral. Would you say that the sound of the hybrid pads on OG Empy is in between of the leather and Alcantara pads?
Since my testing time was limited and not rotating the three pads I would not say something for now.
I will be able to test again on Monday night.
My first impressions where that with the hybrids the Empyrean became somewhat airer with less mid bass emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back