Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 31, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #10,621 of 12,974
Congrats on the pick up. If you like them now, you’ll probably love them later.

I wasn’t thrilled with them initially but after many hours and the Meze silver plated cable, they sound really good.
Can I ask what's the sound difference with the upgraded silver cable?

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #10,622 of 12,974
Carry out maintenance and cleaning。

Attachments

• 70112329-446C-4EFC-887F-DA4E18A23077.jpeg
    70112329-446C-4EFC-887F-DA4E18A23077.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 5FF3937E-65C7-4501-8CC9-FCCB8ED26C43.jpeg
    5FF3937E-65C7-4501-8CC9-FCCB8ED26C43.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 0
  • 68EFAA34-65FA-4682-B47C-FE4F25E2638C.jpeg
    68EFAA34-65FA-4682-B47C-FE4F25E2638C.jpeg
    577.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 2, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #10,624 of 12,974
Carry out maintenance and cleaning。
How hard is it to dissasemble the headphone like this?
Which Tools are required for the task?

Seems like I could easily swap the color if Meze sells the Grills on special request

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #10,626 of 12,974
Mine is a brand new set and had odd clicking sounds on both side but very apparent on the left whenever I tilt my head side ways or clench my jaw, however it's gone when I lift the cup slightlly, I think something to do with pressure. Meze had the drivers replaced very quickly and send back to me. However after a few days the sound came back on the left but this time is softer but it's still there. It doesn't affect the music quality but just felt wierd about it.
I experienced the same, on the right side. I ended up reaching out to Meze and they worked w/ my dealer to send me a new unit. I just kept the cables/pads and received a brand new headphone. Really unfortunate, hope it works out for you!

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #10,630 of 12,974
I've been listening the Empyrean for few hours at couple of nights. I haven't tried other cables yet, I just plugged in the silver plated upgrade cable from Meze and concentrated on the pad choice. The leather pads came preinstalled so I went for them first but felt that with the silver cable, the sound is a bit too aggressive for my liking and I quickly tried the alcantaras and found that they were perfect match for my tastes. It is lively, really life like presentantion and while people seem to complain the lack of technicalities, I really don't hear it, the sound is really dynamic, the sub bass is really good, treble extension and clarity is spot on to my tastes, so are the middle frequencies. So far, so good. The detail retrieval is also on par with the previous headphones I had (Stellia, Rögnir) so can't complain that either.

So far, these are 5/5 for me, especially with the silver cable and alcantara pads. I get a bit pulled back from the presentation of the music but this allows me to concentrate on the whole, not as much on different details that make the whole, if you guys know what I mean. The cohesive whole let's the details come out naturally and I really how they are presented.

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #10,631 of 12,974
From mid-fi to hifi Lavricables Grand Litz pure silver
:see_no_evil:
If i'm not that wrong, i think trying to change the sound with a "tool" is going straight away from hifi. ^^
Whoever make/made that term valid. :smile:

In that way, hifi should be the gold-standard, if we don't count "higher fidelity". :)
Even the most summit-fi headphones aren't "hifi", imo.

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #10,632 of 12,974
I experienced the same, on the right side. I ended up reaching out to Meze and they worked w/ my dealer to send me a new unit. I just kept the cables/pads and received a brand new headphone. Really unfortunate, hope it works out for you!
Thanks, they replace the driver and came back better but still there is a softer click sound on the left again. So I got it send back the 2nd time. Hope this will be final fix.

Aug 3, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #10,633 of 12,974
My Empyrean’s arrived today (copper finish). Beautifully made and presented and although I’ve only had them playing for a few hours, a very nice sound. I’ve ordered the silver plated upgrade cable and will continue with the burn-in, apparently 100 hours plus, though some suggest longer.
I’m driving them with a Chord Dave, which is fed by an Innuos Phoenix reclocker that lets the full colour of the Dave flood out — and hopefully into the headphones. I’ve been looking for a pair of headphones with a similar balance to my Sonus Faber speakers and Audio Research amps which I’m having to sell as I’m downsizing my accommodation, and may have got that here.

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #10,634 of 12,974
My Empyrean’s arrived today (copper finish). Beautifully made and presented and although I’ve only had them playing for a few hours, a very nice sound. I’ve ordered the silver plated upgrade cable and will continue with the burn-in, apparently 100 hours plus, though some suggest longer.
I’m driving them with a Chord Dave, which is fed by an Innuos Phoenix reclocker that lets the full colour of the Dave flood out — and hopefully into the headphones. I’ve been looking for a pair of headphones with a similar balance to my Sonus Faber speakers and Audio Research amps which I’m having to sell as I’m downsizing my accommodation, and may have got that here.
MMMMMMM, Sonus Faber and ARC amps...creamy sound IMO. :) Used to have a Thiel/ARC/Esoteric set-up and still regret having to part with it. Also due to a change in accommodations. And now that Thiel is no more, brings a tear to my eye. Wonderful Loudspeakers IMO. The Meze/Audio GD set-up comes close though.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #10,635 of 12,974
Is an Empy driver failure common? The buyer of my Empy (sold 3 months ago, so it wasn't an immediate issue) just contacted me that his left driver failed. Urgh. Although it is out-of-warranty, I hope that Meze helps ... I never thought that an Utopia thing is going on with the Empy as well.
So, the good folks of Meze took exemplary care of my buyer, replacing the two drivers in less than a week. Great company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back