Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 19, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #10,576 of 12,974
Which do you prefer?
Hard to say, since I almost think of them strictly by how they're amped. Aeolus = tubes, Empyrean = solid state. From a refinement and technicality pov, the Empyrean wins by a few hairs. Planars can have a slightly plasticky timbre but the TPU driver material in the Aeolus sounds a bit more assertive. And the Empyrean is more versatile due to its efficiency and solid state being more convenient. I have limited experience with tube amps but I'd be surprised if there's a tube amp that can put the Empy on the same level as a 300 ohm dynamic driver. Is there a tube amp that can make the Empyrean behave sonically like the Aeolus or HD650 type?

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #10,578 of 12,974
The Felix Audio Euforia is one I can think of.
Yeah, Feliks and Woo are the 2 tube amp companies whose headphone/pre-amp combos that I'm really curious to check out. I love the idea of pairing that with a class-A power amp for an eventual 2-channel living room.

Jul 19, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #10,579 of 12,974
Yeah, Feliks and Woo are the 2 tube amp companies whose headphone/pre-amp combos that I'm really curious to check out. I love the idea of pairing that with a class-A power amp for an eventual 2-channel living room.
To tell you the truth I have never used the Euforia as a pre but it is definitely worth experimenting with it.

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #10,580 of 12,974
Hi guys, just got my Empyrean about a month ago, and the sliver plated cable about a week ago, I'm pretty satisfy with the sound at the moment, and what I really love about Empyrean is the natural and relax sounding, and it sounds even better with the sliver plated cable :)

208194545_10159484456515912_77142080075171474_n.jpg

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #10,581 of 12,974
To tell you the truth I have never used the Euforia as a pre but it is definitely worth experimenting with it.
I'm running: Bifrost 2 -> Euforia AE with Tung Sol 5998's & RCA Red Base 5692's -> Empy. It's not a cheap setup but it's just wonderful sounding. Awesome musicality and the tubes in my rig have added a level of detail and transparency while maintaining the muscle of SS. I've not listened to a higher end SS amp but I have the Woo WA11 and a Topping A90. They both drive the Empy well mind you but not like the tubes to my ears.

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #10,582 of 12,974
Hard to say, since I almost think of them strictly by how they're amped. Aeolus = tubes, Empyrean = solid state. From a refinement and technicality pov, the Empyrean wins by a few hairs. Planars can have a slightly plasticky timbre but the TPU driver material in the Aeolus sounds a bit more assertive. And the Empyrean is more versatile due to its efficiency and solid state being more convenient. I have limited experience with tube amps but I'd be surprised if there's a tube amp that can put the Empy on the same level as a 300 ohm dynamic driver. Is there a tube amp that can make the Empyrean behave sonically like the Aeolus or HD650 type?
The DNA tube amps. I ordered one back in January, still waiting on it!

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #10,583 of 12,974
The DNA tube amps. I ordered one back in January, still waiting on it!
Damn, waiting since january is rough.

Which one did you order?

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #10,584 of 12,974
Try running Fabfilter ProQ3
You have to host it as an "audio unit"plug in
You can use Audio Hyjack for this

It's a fantastic eq with great tweak-ability with a trackpad or mouse.

It's what use

It's a real favourite of studio professionals

It's also great for finding eq settings - then copying them to Roon's DSP.
I am running the Beta OS Monterrey and I haven’t found an EQ plug in that is compatible yet so this is awesome I will give it a shot, thanks

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #10,587 of 12,974
You could always get a PrimaLuna Evo series integrated that has a better headphone amp then most of the Woo Audio offerings and definitely better than Feliks. Then you will have an outstanding headphone amp and 2 channel amp in one.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #10,588 of 12,974
You could always get a PrimaLuna Evo series integrated that has a better headphone amp then most of the Woo Audio offerings and definitely better than Feliks. Then you will have an outstanding headphone amp and 2 channel amp in one.
Which Woo and Feliks amps have you heard and how do they compare against the PrimaLuna Evo when paired with an Empyrean?

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #10,589 of 12,974
I honestly have not heard the Empyrean on the Primaluna…. but I have spent a good amount of time or owned the WA7, WA6LE, WA22 and the Feliks Euforia. With stock EL34 the PrimaLuna is softer, emphoric 3D sound, great for Jazz, and female vocals. Change the tubes to KT150 and you have a very dynamic, fast, crisp and clean with exciting bass. It is a very versatile amp (albeit with a nice price tag). The WA22 with quite a bit of money spent on upgrade tubes is the only one of the mentioned that really can compare to the power, control and versatility of the PrimaLuna.

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #10,590 of 12,974
Anyone thinks the Empyrean is very slow? When i listen to Jimi Hendrix it's more like a soup.
There is one particular song that i completely failed to enjoy with empyrean. It's from youtube, live on british award, a song from Olivia Rodrigo (Driver License). I'm more than aware that live recording on youtube is not the best possible way for high quality file, however I can easily get goosebump when use other headphones such as abyss diana phi or zmf verite.

On Empyrean her voice seems "weak", bland, no dynamism, no emotion translated. Could be my set up have bad synergy with Empy (Hugo 2 + Milo Kozmo), but i didn't expect the difference would quite significant.

Not sure if this is the effect of slow driver though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back