Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #10,561 of 12,974
Price difference however... That is a personal matter.
Agree, for me I would trade a little perceived SQ for fit and finish/durability. Also amazes me how many discount the shear craftsmanship of the Meze. Like many of us on this forum, I respect the obsessive attention to detail. IMO similar to why some may opt for a Rolls Royce over a BMW. Although BMW interior quality also can't be considered "bad" for the price. Of course I own a Mini.😁 IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #10,562 of 12,974
I rambled about the many flagship headphones I tried in several posts on Head-Fi already. Hence the delay in answering your post. I do not like to repeat myself.

Verité:
I only tried the Verité open briefly from a TT2 and MScaler. It didn't impress me at all. Yes, it sounds very 3D, very opened, very lifelike, but lacks punch, impact, body and fun. At least I left with this impression after a short audition. I much preferred the Empy.

This is only my limited personal audition experience. As I emphasised many times earlier, I think matching the components of your audio gear matters a lot. Some headphones are easier to match, some are harder. (ZMF fans swear to fancy tube amps. I haven't tried the Verité on tube amps.)
Different DAC/amp combos can show the potential of a headphone to very different levels.

My ADI-2 and Soloist 3XP drives the Empy well. IMO the Empy needs a good Class A kick to sound clean and tight enough.
Actually, my experience mirror yours, I dunno what's wrong in synergy between verite and TT2, but they do lack of punch and bite. The result is kind of "sleepy" sounding for me. However, when connect direct to Dave, the Verite is come back to life and singing beautifully. Heck, even when connect direct to Hugo 2, Verite deliver more punch and energy, with less resolution though.

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #10,563 of 12,974
Actually, my experience mirror yours, I dunno what's wrong in synergy between verite and TT2, but they do lack of punch and bite. The result is kind of "sleepy" sounding for me. However, when connect direct to Dave, the Verite is come back to life and singing beautifully. Heck, even when connect direct to Hugo 2, Verite deliver more punch and energy, with less resolution though.
Imo could be current/voltage delivery from the TT2's amp.
I know LCD4 is also high impedance. But I assume ZMF impedance may present a complex load to the amp. Audeze Planars tend to present a very stable load on an amp. That said I have not looked at a impedance graph for either.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #10,565 of 12,974
hey guys. I want to buy a new headphone amp that fits my empys. I'm thinking of a Flux FA-10 (dont know where to buy it in germany) or maybe I will go all-in and may buy a sparkos labs aries. Is someone out there with impressions of one of those two amps with the empy?

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #10,566 of 12,974
hey guys. I want to buy a new headphone amp that fits my empys. I'm thinking of a Flux FA-10 (dont know where to buy it in germany) or maybe I will go all-in and may buy a sparkos labs aries. Is someone out there with impressions of one of those two amps with the empy?
Hi I have the SparkoS Aries paired with the Empyrean and it works really well. I can't comment re the Flux however I auditioned the Aries against the Benchmark HD4 and for me the Aries wins hands down. If you are after a clean, uncoloured and dynamic signature the Aries would be right up your street. Not sure about Germany however in the UK you can get a unit sent out for home demo, I don't think you will be disappointed. 👍

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #10,567 of 12,974
I have been using the Empyrean with the FCN 10 (same amp as FA 10) and the match is heavenly.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #10,569 of 12,974
Thx guys! I think I will try the fa10 first because of the cheaper price. what about the other flux amps? Fa10 pro, fa12 or fa22.
The FA 12 is fully balanced from input to output so maybe it is better if you have a fully balanced DAC.
Sound wise the FA 10 is more thick , dense , warm , full bodied.
FA 12 is the same musical signature but a touch more lean but wider sounding , more open , a little bit better definition.
Very close but also different flavors.

Jul 18, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #10,573 of 12,974
Try Burson Audio Soloist 3X Performance. Like the pairing a lot.

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #10,575 of 12,974
It's funny. So many opinions online quick to slam the Empyrean, but when I put them on my head powered by a proper system, I get completely lost in the music in a way no other piece of gear can provide. I feel similarly with the Aeolus and a proper tube amp. All the hand wringing over what has the most detail or what's best goes out the window.
Which do you prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back