Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 22, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #9,076 of 12,974
Question for fellow owners - I purchased a set from a local dealer (new) last Question for fellow owners - I purchased a set from a local dealer (new) last Friday. I love the sound. I think they're awesome.
After finally getting a chance to listen again on Saturday, I noticed a crinkling/crumpling sound from the left cup while taking them off. Reproduced if slight pressure is applied on the cup while wearing. Don't hear the same in the right cup. Is this normal or common with this headphone?

Thanks.
From the Empyreans I have encountered and the one I own myself, there should be absolutely no unwanted sounds whatsoever. That’s part of what makes the Empyrean an outstanding headphone 😊

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #9,077 of 12,974
From the Empyreans I have encountered and the one I own myself, there should be absolutely no unwanted sounds whatsoever. That’s part of what makes the Empyrean an outstanding headphone 😊
My old Empyreans had this crinkling sound and when I contacted Meze they said it is completely normal. I never experienced this planar crinkling on any of my LCD headphones I owned but I know some others did. It seems some planars are affected, some aren't, even from the same brand and same batch.
Initially Meze said the crinkling is normal and doesn't affect performance, so it is not a warranty issue. In the end they offered me to send the headphones to Rinaro in Ukraine on my own cost ($200 with insurance for return). I decided it is not worth the hassle and learnt to live with it as the crinkling only existed when the music was not playing.
When I sold this old pair the buyer also started to complain about this after some time. For him Meze immediately solved the problem under warranty without a second question. I don't know what their approach is now.
Keep in mind this was a very early unit, I would assume and hope after two years of production this affects less pairs. (Even if it is still considered normal.)

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #9,078 of 12,974
Ended up making my own Silver Plated UPOCC braided cable since everyone here raves about the Meze version.

Yes, better. Just seems to synergise with the headphone better. Won't be going back to stock now.

20210323_130311 1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #9,079 of 12,974
Ended up making my own Silver Plated UPOCC braided cable since everyone here raves about the Meze version.

Yes, better. Just seems to synergise with the headphone better. Won't be going back to stock now.

20210323_130311 1.jpg
The Empyrean benefits from the extra clarity of silver cables. Just like Audeze headphones.

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #9,081 of 12,974
Weird, the Empyreans are now being sold over at Drop, as of today.

I don’t really understand the point, given that they’re the standard $2999. I suppose the Drop points (worth $299 in credit there) may be worthwhile to some. But still, Drop was called Massdrop for a reason. The purpose is high volume sales in order to achieve discounted prices. Selling a TOTL caliber headphone in low volume at MSRP - seems kind of bizarre to me.

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #9,082 of 12,974

I don’t really understand the point, given that they’re the standard $2999. I suppose the Drop points (worth $299 in credit there) may be worthwhile to some. But still, Drop was called Massdrop for a reason. The purpose is high volume sales in order to achieve discounted prices. Selling a TOTL caliber headphone in low volume at MSRP - seems kind of bizarre to me.
Indeed seems a bit odd. I would think the majority of Empyrean buyers don't care too much about Massdrop credits. Still can be a good deal for a handful of people though.

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #9,083 of 12,974
Drop did say recently they’re restructuring their business to be focused heavily on audiophile products moving forward. Offering the Empyrean is certainly a tilt in that direction, regardless of whether or not they offer a discount on top of their loyalty program.

Mar 23, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #9,084 of 12,974
The WyWire Platinum cable is not silver and it is great on the Meze Empy. I am only saying this because I am selling my cable.:gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #9,085 of 12,974

I was also surprised. I even checked regular price as i thought the regular price has gone up:wink:

Mar 24, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #9,088 of 12,974
Packed up the phones and took them to the dealer this afternoon. After demonstrating the problem, he tried contacting their Meze rep and left a message. Eventually, the rep was reached and was super cool. Said he'll take care of it. Of note, he said that Meze is his favorite audio company (guess he reps many brands - distributor?).

Anyways, feel much better about it. Love these phones - sound so good.

The Drop bit is strange though they do share some history.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #9,089 of 12,974
The WyWire Platinum cable is not silver and it is great on the Meze Empy. I am only saying this because I am selling my cable.:gs1000smile:
That is true. I did hear some PCOCC copper wires with the same improved clarity as some of the silver ones.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #9,090 of 12,974
Packed up the phones and took them to the dealer this afternoon. After demonstrating the problem, he tried contacting their Meze rep and left a message. Eventually, the rep was reached and was super cool. Said he'll take care of it. Of note, he said that Meze is his favorite audio company (guess he reps many brands - distributor?).

Anyways, feel much better about it. Love these phones - sound so good.

The Drop bit is strange though they do share some history.
I had a very similar experience with my first Empyreans, I could hear noise in the right ear cup just by swallowing or moving my jaw. Seems the change in pressure was causing it. Anyway, I reached out to Meze and they gave the dealer the go ahead to swap them out, no problem. Super cool company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back