Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #9,064 of 12,974
I've never tried the felt pads. Hmmmm

Anyone prefer the felt over the leather? And why?
Alcantara pads sound quite different from the leather ones. These pads controll the reflected sound much better. They sound more balance, tighter/cleaner in the bass-especially mid-bass, brighter in the highs, more spacious, a little recess mids and less smooth vocal(but still smoother than my other cans). As long as the leather pads give me a sweeter vocal delivery, the alcantara pads fit my taste for non-vocal music much better. When I get used to the sound of alcantara pads, hard to go back. Leather pads sound too muffle and less resolved to me. I still hope MEZE is developing new pads to control the mid-bass of Empy further more(1-2db less), maybe sth like the pads of Utopia, then it would truly be an end-game all-rounder.
Comfort-wise, the vegan leather pad is the most comfort. It feels softest, and the most skin-friendly.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #9,065 of 12,974
I still hope MEZE is developing new pads to control the mid-bass of Empy further more(1-2db less)
Just wear glasses. :D
1616350989150.png

Mar 21, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #9,066 of 12,974
Alcantara pads sound quite different from the leather ones. These pads controll the reflected sound much better. They sound more balance, tighter/cleaner in the bass-especially mid-bass, brighter in the highs, more spacious, a little recess mids and less smooth vocal(but still smoother than my other cans). As long as the leather pads give me a sweeter vocal delivery, the alcantara pads fit my taste for non-vocal music much better. When I get used to the sound of alcantara pads, hard to go back. Leather pads sound too muffle and less resolved to me. I still hope MEZE is developing new pads to control the mid-bass of Empy further more(1-2db less), maybe sth like the pads of Utopia, then it would truly be an end-game all-rounder.
Comfort-wise, the vegan leather pad is the most comfort. It feels softest, and the most skin-friendly.

Many years ago, in an article on Vladimir Horowitz i believe on the New York Times, there was a quote about how Horowitz insisted on placing his piano in a specific spot on Carnegie Hall's stage. he was SO specific that he insisted on putting three screws ON the stage's wood floor to mark the three legs of his personal Steinway Grand.

The article went further to claim that during mastering of his recordings, he would be micro-managing the process and insisted on minute adjustments of this and that, often, merely by 1 or 2 db only. The writer of the article then said that it was silly because the human ear can only hear differences in 3db increments, i.e. humans cannot discern less than 3db changes.

I don't know if that writer is correct or not, but that article made an impression on me and i still remember this.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #9,067 of 12,974
Many years ago, in an article on Vladimir Horowitz i believe on the New York Times, there was a quote about how Horowitz insisted on placing his piano in a specific spot on Carnegie Hall's stage. he was SO specific that he insisted on putting three screws ON the stage's wood floor to mark the three legs of his personal Steinway Grand.

The article went further to claim that during mastering of his recordings, he would be micro-managing the process and insisted on minute adjustments of this and that, often, merely by 1 or 2 db only. The writer of the article then said that it was silly because the human ear can only hear differences in 3db increments, i.e. humans cannot discern less than 3db changes.

I don't know if that writer is correct or not, but that article made an impression on me and i still remember this.
I feel the writer is incorrect, but also has a point. You can hear differences of 1db, however a 1 db difference is hard to hear with music or many instruments at once. On a single tone though, it would be easier. I have also heard other audiophiles say they can hear it ( they have volume controls that supposedly increase by 1db increments). It probably depends on the sensitivity of your ears. A 3db increase ( which requires a doubling of power or watts to create) is easy to discern. I would side with Mr. Horowitz as he probably could hear it, and he also wanted the best sound he could produce.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #9,068 of 12,974
Switched over to the alcantara pads and find them to be a better match with my desktop chain, which is warm enough. When it comes to pairing it with my DAP, I think I prefer the leather pads since it covers up some of the chip DAC glare.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #9,069 of 12,974

If you look at the FR of hd650 and hd600, they don't differ from each other more than 3db in any part of the FR, but we could still easily feel that hd650 is warmer.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #9,072 of 12,974
Has anyone found a stockist of these in Australia?

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #9,073 of 12,974
Question for fellow owners - I purchased a set from a local dealer (new) last Friday. I love the sound. I think they're awesome.

After finally getting a chance to listen again on Saturday, I noticed a crinkling/crumpling sound from the left cup while taking them off. Reproduced if slight pressure is applied on the cup while wearing. Don't hear the same in the right cup. Is this normal or common with this headphone?

Thanks.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #9,074 of 12,974
Question for fellow owners - I purchased a set from a local dealer (new) last Friday. I love the sound. I think they're awesome.

After finally getting a chance to listen again on Saturday, I noticed a crinkling/crumpling sound from the left cup while taking them off. Reproduced if slight pressure is applied on the cup while wearing. Don't hear the same in the right cup. Is this normal or common with this headphone?

Thanks.
No it's not common however I have heard about similar things on Audeze LCD cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back