Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 12, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #8,971 of 13,028
It's pretty but totally overpriced
just speaking for myself, of course, i actually prefer my standard version of the Empyreans. i even got the black version instead of the copper version. i think the texture of the pattern, for me at least, is of sufficient interest to my eye and i don't need/want the additional octane of the copper color. of course, chacun à son goût.

i admire their creativity with this new special painted version though, but i personally want a simpler look myself, i.e. their lower cost model has the special versions too and they are all pretty plain and sleek (almost Scandinavian-looking) - i like those! however, having the Empyreans, i don't see any need to buy those lesser models from Meze.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #8,972 of 13,028
just speaking for myself, of course, i actually prefer my standard version of the Empyreans. i even got the black version instead of the copper version. i think the texture of the pattern, for me at least, is of sufficient interest to my eye and i don't need/want the additional octane of the copper color. of course, chacun a son gout.

i admire their creativity with this new special painted version though, but i want a simpler look myself, i.e. their lower cost model has the special versions too and they are all pretty plain and sleek (almost Scandinavian-looking) - i like those! however, having the Empyreans, i don't see any need to buy those models from Meze.
My favourite Version is the all Black headphone company exklusive Version.

However back in the Day I got a good deal on the copper Version.
So imo I own the least attractive Version, but do so for financial reasons.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #8,973 of 13,028
Empyreans arrived today. Already, after a few minutes of testing them out on a DAP and my desktop, I'm completely smitten. With the Aeolus Blackwood and 99 Noir in my collection, getting a jet black Empy was really the only choice, so I'm happy with the design. Running it with a pentacon cable from LQi into an XLR adapter. This is one of the few flagship headphones where it makes sense to run a portable cable as the daily choice.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #8,974 of 13,028
I am going to suggest a Meze 99 Classic for a friend. I was wondering if the default headphone cable for the Meze Empy fits the 99 Classic. I have an extra Meze Empy headphone cable that I want to give to my friend if he gets the Classic.

https://www.moon-audio.com/meze-audio-99-classics-headphones.html

My understanding is that the 99 Classic is also a warmish relaxing sound like the Empy.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #8,975 of 13,028
I am going to suggest a Meze 99 Classic for a friend. I was wondering if the default headphone cable for the Meze Empy fits the 99 Classic. I have an extra Meze Empy headphone cable that I want to give to my friend if he gets the Classic.

https://www.moon-audio.com/meze-audio-99-classics-headphones.html

My understanding is that the 99 Classic is also a warmish relaxing sound like the Empy.
The connectors are totally different. Oddly enough, it's easier to find mini-XLR cables compatible with the Empy over the 99s due to the recessed seat for the 99's 3.5mm ports.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #8,976 of 13,028
My favourite Version is the all Black headphone company exklusive Version.

@ThanatosVI : may i ask what that means please? what is the "black headphone company"? surely, there isn't a headphones company named "Black Headphone Company"!

if you don't mind, please send a link or an online picture so i have a sense of what you mean.

my Empyreans are simply what one buys from them currently that is the all black version sans the copper grill, as my grill is all black, or maybe it's dark anthracite as it isn't exactly "jet black".

thank you in advance.

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #8,977 of 13,028
@ThanatosVI : may i ask what that means please? what is the "black headphone company"? surely, there isn't a headphones company named "Black Headphone Company"!

if you don't mind, please send a link or an online picture so i have a sense of what you mean.

my Empyreans are simply what one buys from them currently that is the all black version sans the copper grill, as my grill is all black, or maybe it's dark anthracite as it isn't exactly "jet black".

thank you in advance.
Headphonecompany.com is the official german distributor for Meze.
They have their exklusive own color for the Empyrean
https://headphonecompany.com/produkt/meze-empyrean-over-ear-kopfhoerer/

Empyrean_All-Black_HC-Edition-4.jpg

Even the pins to adjust size are black on this Version.
So it's "all black"
While the regular jet black version has still copper Pins.

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #8,978 of 13,028
This! Utopia rewards a great source chain, but its signature can also sound harsh and/or analytical, depending on the chain and the material. I used to talk about how I felt like I should love them, but couldn't quite get over the (what I call) sharpness.

Note that I sold Empyrean, but not due to preferring Utopia. Rather it was RAD-0 which drove Empy out.
I tried so hard to completely remove the harshness, but to no avail (well what I did does help but couldn't completely remove the sharpness). Then I realized that this is the headphones' sonic signature so I stopped trying. Now around 20% of albums in my library are considered "safe" to listen to with the Utopia. For the other 80%, I'd rather pick the Empy... not that the Empy sounds superior but because it sounds more agreeable.

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #8,979 of 13,028
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #8,980 of 13,028
This is tremendously helpful information. I auditioned the Focal Utopia last week and have been racking my brain with all sorts of ways to purchase, sell items, justify it, etc. It sounded that good. Your post has really made me take pause and realize that the driver failure issue is not something easily navigated. If I bought used, I may have the remainder of my warranty, but when that warranty expires, it sounds like the repair fees are cost-prohibitive. That is not reassuring and despite it's awesome performance to my ears, I'd be constantly fearing the driver failure. I'm auditioning the Empyrean tomorrow and cannot wait. I've heard nothing but really solid feedback about the reliability/quality, so very much hoping these will do it for me.

About the warranty, I believe you're in the US, so I think Focal takes care of you nicely (warranty extended to 5 years and in some cases they even fix the driver for free outside the warranty < this needs to be further confirmed). However, I live in Thailand, where warranty is very shoddy. Here, warranty is only 2 years, and cost to replace the drivers after warranty can be around 2,500 USD. That's outraging.

Build quality aside, if you are not overly sensitive to high, you may not find Utopia sound excessively harsh and may be able to live with it happily. I also saw some people "eqing" it to great result. Some even use custom adaptor at the headphone jack to tame high frequencies. However, my equipment chain doesn't allow the EQ.

The Empy sounds great and its head-stage is wider than the Utopia. You may want to pair it with a silver cable to tighten the bass and improve treble sparkle. I suggest you pick Silver Dragon and "not" Meze's own silver plated cable, as I have both and upon comparison, the SD sounds superior to me. With Meze's cable, bass hits with less authority and mid has less body, comparing with the SD. Also heard that Lazuli Reference sounds great with them. I also have Lazuli Ref and did try it with the Empy through an adaptor, and they paired very well, but given the cost of the Lazuli (1K territory), it's hard to justify getting another cable for the Empy.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #8,981 of 13,028

So it's "all black"
@ThanatosVI : i've never heard of this store...which is not surprising, as i do not live in Europe/Germany.

i do like the all black version a lot, though i must say, looking at my Empyreans, the small amount of copper (the two rods for height adjustment) is ok - not too much, but they do add a touch of contrast that is not ugly :wink:

interestingly, this store also carry the black version versus the gunmetal version. i think in the US, there are only the gunmetal version now. iirc, they did at one point have a darker black and a gunmetal, but for some reason, in the US now, they only have the gunmetal grey plus of course the copper version.

i'm fine with mine even though now that i've seen this German store's special all-black version, i do prefer the all-black slightly more, but it's insignificant for me as i am willing to buy/enjoy superior audio products even though they may not look the best. i'm ok to overlook their looks IF they sound just right.

thanks for showing me this version of the Empyreans.

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #8,982 of 13,028
It's pretty but totally overpriced
I definitely agree. That being said, one of the main reasons why I picked the Empyreans other than how amazing it sounded, is that the design was just so extraordinarily well thought out. As good as some of the other headphones on the market sound, I just don't think I could bring myself to pay so much money for something to feel janky, and this goes for pretty much anything on the market. As to what the product is actually worth, I guess only the person buying that can decide :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 13, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #8,983 of 13,028
Might have been discussed before, but has anyone written out or tried getting a perfect EQ for the Empys on an ADI DAC? I made an attempt on a Harman setting but it was for the alcantara pads. It seems like there are potential improvements to be had by a few basic tweaks in the midbass, increases in the subbass and increases across the highs. I've still never heard better sounding vocals on a headphone than with the stock tuning but I think I need to play around a bit.

Mar 13, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #8,984 of 13,028

So it's "all black"
Wow, i did not know of this version. I like it very much. Same as You for financial reasons i got a copper version (bought it second hand). Not really a problem though:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back