Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #8,641 of 12,974
I'm currently debating between getting a pair of Empyreans or Susvaras. I know they are very different headphones at very different price points, but I'm leaning towards the Empyreans primarily due to the amp requirements of the Susvaras.

I plan to initially drive the headphones from the 4.4mm balanced output on my iBasso DX220 MAX (8.8VRMS no load, 8.7VRMS @ 300ohm), which I'm extremely doubtful would work with the Susvaras, but should be fine with the Empyreans. That being said, would driving the Empyreans from the DX220 MAX allow me to get the full potential out of them, or is a dedicated desktop amp the best way to go? I would be looking to get either a Topping A90 or Flux Labs FA-10 roughly 2-3 months after the headphone purchase if it would make a noticeable difference over the DAP.

As you have said, they're in very different price points, and IMHO, Susvara is a better pair of headphones, provided it has great system to back it up. With your setup (taking into account your upgrade plan), I highly doubt that it would sufficiently drive the Susvara.

I think Empy will give you more joy as it's a lot easier to drive and isn't very difficult to pair. I tried my friend's Susvara with my setup (in sig) and found that V281 isn't quite enough to drive them the the fullest. In my system they sounded a bit dry and congested (IMO my system is not up to snuff).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #8,642 of 12,974
As you have said, they're in very different price points, and IMHO, Susvara is a better pair of headphones, provided it has great system to back it up. With your setup (taking into account your upgrade plan), I highly doubt that it would sufficiently drive the Susvara.

I think Empy will give you more joy as it's a lot easier to drive and isn't very difficult to pair. I tried my friend's Susvara with my setup (in sig) and found that V281 isn't quite enough to drive them the the fullest. In my system they sounded a bit dry and congested (IMO my system is not up to snuff).

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty certain that I'll end up going with the Empyreans. What are your thoughts on better amp pairings for it?

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #8,643 of 12,974
That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty certain that I'll end up going with the Empyreans. What are your thoughts on better amp pairings for it?
Not sure what price band you're looking in but Feliks Euforia and GSX Mini are very popular choices for Empy onwers. I personally have a Euforia AE and IMO it's fantastic. I also have an A90 and it sounds great with that too (just not nearly as good as the Euforia)

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #8,644 of 12,974
To @dkar: I will put in a few good words for the Violectric V280 as a match for the Empyreans. Deep, firm bass, “sculpted” midrange, and extended treble with air aplenty. On a related note, I have found the Empyrean to respond greatly to silver (or palladium/silver) h/p cables. These “accelerate” the response and seemingly extend the frequency range without upsetting the overall balance.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #8,645 of 12,974
To @dkar: I will put in a few good words for the Violectric V280 as a match for the Empyreans. Deep, firm bass, “sculpted” midrange, and extended treble with air aplenty. On a related note, I have found the Empyrean to respond greatly to silver (or palladium/silver) h/p cables. These “accelerate” the response and seemingly extend the frequency range without upsetting the overall balance.

may i ask if anyone here has very good components, i.e. headphone amp, DAC, etc., and also own a high quality DAP like the Kann Alpha?

i'm interested in knowing how much they feel they gain, if any, when they go from the Kann Alpha to their components?

thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #8,646 of 12,974

I was looking to get a Norne Audio Silvergarde S4 if I went with the Empys so that should make a good match based on your experience.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #8,647 of 12,974

I just tried this headphones with a handful of amps and found that it sounded good to great with all of them.

The list includes:
- Brooklyn Bridge > Stock single ended = sounded very good
- My V281 > Silver Dragon XLR = sounded great
- My custom tube amp (with high quality 300B+274B tubes) > sounded great
- My Fostex HPA4 > Stock single ended = sounded kinda-good (more than acceptable given how cheap/simple the amp is)

I think best way is to ask around/read many reviews until you can narrow down the list based on your budget/needs. I think this headphones has so much potential and it can hold its own against other top dogs. It was rated very nicely in this review https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...yrean-focal-utopia-abyss-ab-1266-phi-cc-r790/

I also have the Utopia and even if I use the Lazuli Reference (the cable that's arguably superior to Cardas Clear used in that review) I have to agree with austinpop (the reviewer), that the Empy with a mere SD cable comes out on top. <well this isn't exactly his words, but if you read his comments, it's clear that he preferred the Abyss, followed closely by the Empy and Utopia usually in last place. I think people that don't have ears that's sensitive to treble can find a lot of reasons to love the Utopia.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #8,648 of 12,974
I just tried this headphones with a handful of amps and found that it sounded good to great with all of them.

The list includes:
- Brooklyn Bridge > Stock single ended = sounded very good
- My V281 > Silver Dragon XLR = sounded great
- My custom tube amp (with high quality 300B+274B tubes) > sounded great
- My Fostex HPA4 > Stock single ended = sounded kinda-good (more than acceptable given how cheap/simple the amp is)

I think best way is to ask around/read many reviews until you can narrow down the list based on your budget/needs. I think this headphones has so much potential and it can hold its own against other top dogs. It was rated very nicely in this review https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...yrean-focal-utopia-abyss-ab-1266-phi-cc-r790/

I also have the Utopia and even if I use the Lazuli Reference (the cable that's arguably superior to Cardas Clear used in that review) I have to agree with austinpop (the reviewer), that the Empy with a mere SD cable comes out on top. <well this isn't exactly his words, but if you read his comments, it's clear that he preferred the Abyss, followed closely by the Empy and Utopia usually in last place. I think people that don't have ears that's sensitive to treble can find a lot of reasons to love the Utopia.
This Mirrors my experience. I've heard the Empy through:
  • Project PreBox S2 Digital
  • ifi idsd micro BL
  • Woo Audio WA11
  • Schiit Bifrost2 -> Lyr3
  • Schiit Bifrost2 -> Feliks Euforia AE
The first two were very good to start, the PreBox even had enough power to make the sound good. The Woo and the Schiit chain was a noticeable step up. I really felt like the Bifrost helped a lot here. the Euforia is the best for sure as it should be but you can get great sound from them with lesser gear while they will scale exceptionally well with better gear.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #8,649 of 12,974
I need help deciding on the standard Euforia or the AE. Aesthetically I enjoy the standard matte black more but if there is a noticeable improvement in the AE that doesn't require critical listening or A/B switching to hear, I would like to take the leap up to the AE. Can anyone weigh in on this situation? I've read reviews of the AE where they mention the Standard in comparison but its basically just described as a notch or two better than the standard.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #8,650 of 12,974
I need help deciding on the standard Euforia or the AE. Aesthetically I enjoy the standard matte black more but if there is a noticeable improvement in the AE that doesn't require critical listening or A/B switching to hear, I would like to take the leap up to the AE. Can anyone weigh in on this situation? I've read reviews of the AE where they mention the Standard in comparison but its basically just described as a notch or two better than the standard.

If you don't get AE, you'll be always wondering about it. From everything I read, it's a clear step up on all accounts, so since you're considering both, that would be the way to go.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #8,652 of 12,974
I sprung for the AE and am not sorry. I've never heard the original but after reading the review below with some comparisons I took the leap.

https://www.headfonia.com/feliks-audio-euforia-ae-review/

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #8,653 of 12,974
Just ordered a new headphone amp for my Empyrean.

An Octave V16 Single Ended including Super Black box. Curious how much better the Empyrean can sound.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #8,654 of 12,974
Has anyone compared the empys vs the ZMF Verite? I'm interested in both an wonder what hp would fit better...
Had both at the same time and sold the Verite C as the reverb in the Monkey Pod pads was to irritating for me.
Still have the Empyreans and now with a Lazuli Reference they are even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back