Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #8,266 of 13,037
Hi, this is the second Meze Empyrean review from your You Tube channel, and both do not praise the Empyreans. As I own them I would like to respond. They are the best Planar match with my amp the Feliks Audio Euforia, so I wanted to give them a go. They scale up with the quality of the equipment used, and Meze their stock cable is a real problem. So I warned Meze never to send their stock cable for a review. I bought the Lavricables Grand Litz 4 core which is more fragile than the 20 core Grand but more high end they say. And I have the Ayre QB-9 Twenty Dac. Compared with my Stax L700 mk1 with the T 1-S amp the Empyreans are less sharp, less treble focused and less detail focused, but I am very happy with the overall musical experience. And I like it better than the Stax. The ZMF Verite cans match well with the Euforia too. But I am in no hurry to buy those soon. I am quite happy now. Other Empyrean owners called them euphonic, but I am not certain about this English as it is not my native language. Even though the Empyreans Mk 2 will be better, these ear speakers should be seen as a tool to listen to high end equipment, great amp, great Dac, and also great cables.

Meze Empyrean Review - Comfort King - YouTube

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #8,267 of 13,037
Hi, this is the second Meze Empyrean review from your You Tube channel, and both do not praise the Empyreans. As I own them I would like to respond. They are the best Planar match with my amp the Feliks Audio Euforia, so I wanted to give them a go. They scale up with the quality of the equipment used, and Meze their stock cable is a real problem. So I warned Meze never to send their stock cable for a review. I bought the Lavricables Grand Litz 4 core which is more fragile than the 20 core Grand but more high end they say. And I have the Ayre QB-9 Twenty Dac. Compared with my Stax L700 mk1 with the T 1-S amp the Empyreans are less sharp, less treble focused and less detail focused, but I am very happy with the overall musical experience. And I like it better than the Stax. The ZMF Verite cans match well with the Euforia too. But I am in no hurry to buy those soon. I am quite happy now. Other Empyrean owners called them euphonic, but I am not certain about this English as it is not my native language. Even though the Empyreans Mk 2 will be better, these ear speakers should be seen as a tool to listen to high end equipment, great amp, great Dac, and also great cables.

Compared to other manufacturers the stock cable isn't bad, BUT the Empyrean scale really well with a better cable (especially silver or copper/silver-fusion cables)

When I bought mine I already had an aftermarket cable from my Audezes, with that cable the Empyrean delivered a stunning performance. Few monhs later I sold the cable to get an ToTL cable, during the wait on the new cable I use the stock cable, and the sound was much worse. Still not bad, but nowhere near to where it could be.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #8,268 of 13,037

may i ask what the Mk 2 Empyreans are? are they even announced already?

what are the differences between the Mk 2 and the original, "Mk 1" version?

thank you.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #8,269 of 13,037
may i ask what the Mk 2 Empyreans are? are they even announced already?

what are the differences between the Mk 2 and the original, "Mk 1" version?

thank you.
Ah well, the You Tubers told their watchers, this Mk1 is not good enough, we would like to have Mk 2. I do not know of any plans to make an other model. But the stock cable would suggest a silver upgrade. Meze was happy with the feedback.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #8,270 of 13,037
Ah well, the You Tubers told their watchers, this Mk1 is not good enough, we would like to have Mk 2. I do not know of any plans to make an other model. But the stock cable would suggest a silver upgrade. Meze was happy with the feedback.

Darn it. i'm late in coming to the Empyrean party: just bought them 1 1/2 months ago. the last thing i want is for Meze to come out with Empyrean Mark II so soon after i just bought mine!

i'm hoping that they won't have a Mark II or worse yet, an "Empyrean Improved model" so quickly - granted, i know they've been out 2-3 years already. once they have an "improved" model out, all the previous gen 1 headphones would be the "UNimproved" versions :frowning2: ugh.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #8,271 of 13,037
Darn it. i'm late in coming to the Empyrean party: just bought them 1 1/2 months ago. the last thing i want is for Meze to come out with Empyrean Mark II so soon after i just bought mine!

i'm hoping that they won't have a Mark II or worse yet, an "Empyrean Improved model" so quickly - granted, i know they've been out 2-3 years already. once they have an "improved" model out, all the previous gen 1 headphones would be the "UNimproved" versions :frowning2: ugh.
Buy a very good cable and enjoy your dac amp in a lovely way. These Youtubers are messing with our heads. Please don't be manipulated by agressive reviews, kind regards Yoram

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #8,272 of 13,037

Even if one were to be released soon, that doesn't mean that it is better than the Empyrean (mk.1)

So just keep enjoying your Empys :wink:

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #8,274 of 13,037
I usually like Chrono's review, but for this one on Empy, I really disagree with most part of his opinions, I also commented below that review.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #8,275 of 13,037
This again a request for any Empy and Utopia owners
Please compare on the same amplifier on both headphones the song Luminous Beings by Jon Hopkins. It is a very spaceous sounding song with a relaxed flowing bass undertone. In the first minutes the song gradually builds up with glitches and blips superimposed over a bass current,
I apologize for sounding like complaining, but the difference between Utopia and Empy is big, the bass undercurrent in the song sounds distant with empy, not enveloping, while the glitches are more outspoken (not because they are louder, but more upfront in the mix), it sounds anemic, not pleasant, the bass seems higher in tonality compared to utopia, I am sorry to say. Can anybody check this on their own amp (would be great if you can check it on the arche). Strangely enough the bass is more drone like, less full but it shows the imperfections in recording better (more abrupt cutting of sound volumes more noticable with empy compared to utopia, but this can also be because with utopia it gets covered up in a fuller sound?)
Sorry to be coming back to this but it is going to take some effort to be able to compare my phones to another empy, so I want to double check.....
Thanks for the effort

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #8,276 of 13,037
This again a request for any Empy and Utopia owners
Please compare on the same amplifier on both headphones the song Luminous Beings by Jon Hopkins. It is a very spaceous sounding song with a relaxed flowing bass undertone. In the first minutes the song gradually builds up with glitches and blips superimposed over a bass current,
I apologize for sounding like complaining, but the difference between Utopia and Empy is big, the bass undercurrent in the song sounds distant with empy, not enveloping, while the glitches are more outspoken (not because they are louder, but more upfront in the mix), it sounds anemic, not pleasant, the bass seems higher in tonality compared to utopia, I am sorry to say. Can anybody check this on their own amp (would be great if you can check it on the arche). Strangely enough the bass is more drone like, less full but it shows the imperfections in recording better (more abrupt cutting of sound volumes more noticable with empy compared to utopia, but this can also be because with utopia it gets covered up in a fuller sound?)
Sorry to be coming back to this but it is going to take some effort to be able to compare my phones to another empy, so I want to double check.....
Thanks for the effort

Hopefully able to do this on this weekend. Will report here if I able to compare them.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #8,277 of 13,037
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #8,279 of 13,037
I usually like Chrono's review, but for this one on Empy, I really disagree with most part of his opinions, I also commented below that review.

I didn’t like the review as well, sounded like he didn’t let the headphones break-in and maybe I over looked it but I would have like to know what gear he was using and to compare phones that are not in the same price range, Just didn’t seem right

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #8,280 of 13,037
I didn’t like the review as well, sounded like he didn’t let the headphones break-in and maybe I over looked it but I would have like to know what gear he was using and to compare phones that are not in the same price range, Just didn’t seem right
I believe he just gets used to and get in love with HD800s' sound signature. Empy definitely sounds quite different tonally. Empy is the HP that you value more when you listen longer to it. Many first impression kind of reviews just get hugely negatively affected by the reviewer's daily HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back