Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #7,276 of 12,974
If the Auralic is neutral then yes the V280 would be the better pick for different sound signature since from I read it's in the warmer side. Is the Drop version 100% the same or were some parts swapped?
i didn't read it being different. just clearing out stock before the new amps come out

re the taurus, I wouldn't describe as neutral but not far off it. a bit of warmth, kinda or at least some full rich tones going on.
But not bright nor as warmish as the v281 that i've heard.

I used to own the cayin iha6 which is very good bang for buck (IMHO) with heaps of powere. I used to think that was neutral til i switched to the taurus and realised the cayin was a a little bright. Still great bang for buck

I bought the empys after buying the taurus. but not when i demoed them with my cayin.

side note: cayin was very good with elears and, from memory, my lcd2 and he1000se. Just the empyreans did not match well - a little too bloated in the mid bass for my liking

YMMV

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #7,278 of 12,974
For now I will keep using my Meier Audio Corda Classic. (basically wire with gain) until I can upgrade to a Primaluna Evo 300 later this year.
Would like to hear the Meier one day.
Curious about such "techno" stuff. :)
Like i'll take a listen to the Abacus Cuffino in the near future.

Source will be my R28, maybe i'll have a look at the RME to have a dac to play with. ^^

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #7,279 of 12,974
if I didn't have a v280 on the way I would have made an offer for this one here in Australia.
This was listed last month so you might be able to bring the price down a little

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/314260-fs-bryston-bha-1-headphone-amplifier/

I'm chatting with him currently. He lives a suburb away from me. :)

I've got no doubt it will pair nicely with the Empyrean, but I don't know if it's an appropriate replacement for my Audio GD D28.38.

I use the Audio GD with my Utopia currently (with RME ADI-2) and I don't want to 'collect' AMP's.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #7,280 of 12,974
Would like to hear the Meier one day.
Curious about such "techno" stuff. :)
Like i'll take a listen to the Abacus Cuffino in the near future.

Source will be my R28, maybe i'll have a look at the RME to have a dac to play with. ^^
You're from Bavaria, you could contact Jan Meier and ask if an audition is possible.

I did 7 years ago, before I purchased mine.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #7,281 of 12,974
I wish someone made a hp amp like the schiit pre (freya+) so one could switch between solidstate and tubes.
I'm thinking of getting a SPL Phonitor (without dac) to give the neutral option. (i have a opp-ha1, which never was a good amp, even when it came out.)

You could always have a look at the ifi Pro iCAN. It also has a bucket-load of of power. I'd like to try one with my Empyrean one day, but at the moment nearly £1,800 is a bitr steep considering how much I've spent on audio gear in the last four months.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #7,285 of 12,974
Bryston, to me, is the best audio company I have ever come across hands down regardless of cost.
Luxman is up there as well -- I got to audition a P750U and it was wonderful. Knobs like silk, and the sound was soooo refined. Too bad all the used units are 100 V.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #7,288 of 12,974
That's true. it's just my personal opinion.
Not disagreeing -- my BHA-1 was very well-built and seemed near-new when I sold it even though it was 5 years old. I was just really impressed by the Luxman feel.

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #7,289 of 12,974
You could always have a look at the ifi Pro iCAN. It also has a bucket-load of of power. I'd like to try one with my Empyrean one day, but at the moment nearly £1,800 is a bitr steep considering how much I've spent on audio gear in the last four months.

So... lockdown got to you too :)?

And yes, Pro iCAN has a ton of power for Empyrean, and several features handy in changing sound profile.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #7,290 of 12,974
Update on my amp search.

<$900
Monoprice Liquid Platinum (modded review and info starting here)
Topping A90
Cayin iHA-6 (seen users upgrade to other amps on this list)
Mjolnir 2 (LP)

<$1800
Holo Audio Azure (neutral; comparison vs Master 9 by Currawong)
Headamp GS-X Mini (neutral; comparison vs Master 9 from The Headphone Experience)
Violectric V280 (warmer. smaller version of V281, V200 x2?)
Audio DG Master 9 (neutral; my first pick but too big and requires long warm up period)
Wells Milo (warmer; just found out it's not fully balanced)
Soundaware P1 (not finding enough reviews)

$2200+
Benchmark HPA4 (expensive, better/on-par amps at lower price)
Violectric V281 (warmer. don't need all the features so I prefer V280. review here vs Master 9)
Bryston BHA1 (review here vs Master 9; beats V200)

notes:
Lucky87 prefers THX887 over Master 9? Lucky87 recently ordered the Topping A90
also his comparison between Feliks Euforia, THX887, Violectric HPA V281

LCMusicLover sold BHA-1 and V280, but kept Liquid Platinum (not for Empy though). Prefers BHA-1 on Empy vs LP. Sold V280 as it's similar to BHA-1.

Roasty prefers Benchmark HPA4 over GS-X Mini

dmdm likes BHA-1 so much s/he owns two!
The two finalists have been decided!

Monoprice Liquid Platinum (most of the users who like this have bright headphones; will need to mod to get the most out of it)
Holo Audio Azure (not finding enough user reviews; no company website?; looking at the circuitry it looks similar to the the GS-X mini, but between the two I'll go with a local company)
Violectric V280 (likely too warm for Empy; I'm leaning towards as neutral as possible)
Bryston BHA1 (it's either a 100-120v or 200-220v unit; I need 220v since I will likely move between countries once covid is ever over) I guess I'm putting myself back in hot water for this

Topping A90 (see review here vs HPA4)
Headamp GS-X Mini (neutral)

I will likely order both, compare, then return one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back