Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #6,002 of 12,974
So you mean dynamic is better?
It is not about being better.
The crinkling noise is a side effect of huge planar transducers. When you move around the earcup of a planar headphone this huge diaphragm will move due to the change of air pressure in the cup. This is a normal sound which all planar headphones produce. It sounds a bit like scrubbing a plastic sheet or when your ears get clear of water.
Dynamic headphones don't produce this sound because they don't have this huge sheet of diaphragm in the transducer.

Some people prefer dynamic sound, some like planar more.
I am definitely on the planar side, because no dynamic headphone is able to reproduce bass like planars do. And I love my bass clear and well extended.

Jan 28, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #6,003 of 12,974
Jan 29, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #6,004 of 12,974
All planars do.
I have actually changed a few emails about this with Rinaro. They said it is possible to make the Empy 'crinkle-less' but it is a very time consuming procedure which is why they (and most other planar manufacturers) don't do it in mass production. It also doesn't really affect usage as the crinkle sound is not present while you are listening to music.
They offered me to send my Empy back to Ukraine so they can fix it for me, but honestly I am not that bothered. (My Audeze headphones crinkled a bit less though.)

Just planar in general

Interesting, I've never had my LCD-3, HE500 or Ether Flow crinkle. I wonder if it is a by product of head size, shape and facial hair factors?

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #6,005 of 12,974
My empy have recently started crinkling when wearing them. Once on the head and music is playing, everything is as per normal. Im not bothered by it, and take it as the drivers are now broken in.

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #6,006 of 12,974
I had crinkle with all of the audeze cans that I owned. I have not had any with my Abyss but I think that is due to the design. I have tried a few pairs of empyrean and had not noticed an crinkle.

Jan 29, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #6,007 of 12,974
I used to be very bothered by this crinkling sound as its pretty loud when the headphones were new. Now after about 500hrs of usage the crinkling is less noticeable probably because my brain "auto corrects" the sound or because i dont move my head as much. My fix was to use the alcantara pads and not move the head as much as possible.

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #6,008 of 12,974
I had crinkle with all of the audeze cans that I owned. I have not had any with my Abyss but I think that is due to the design. I have tried a few pairs of empyrean and had not noticed an crinkle.
I think there must be individual variability. I did have the same crinkle on my Audeze cans, but it is worse on the Empy.
Interesting, I've never had my LCD-3, HE500 or Ether Flow crinkle. I wonder if it is a by product of head size, shape and facial hair factors?
I don't think head size or facial hair play a role here. IMO it is individual transducer variability and hours put on a certain headphone that make the difference.

My empy have recently started crinkling when wearing them. Once on the head and music is playing, everything is as per normal. Im not bothered by it, and take it as the drivers are now broken in.
I think you are right. I haven't heard any crinkling noise when my Empy was new. Around 80-100 hours it started to be apparent. Then I asked Rinaro and they said it is absolutely normal.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #6,009 of 12,974
Best synergy out of my amps is the Formuls S by xiaudio. The veil isn't as noticeable on the Empyrean..

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #6,010 of 12,974
fantastic amp with every HP I have owned...with the powerman it is the blackest background I have heard...almost eerie

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #6,011 of 12,974
I don't think head size or facial hair play a role here. IMO it is individual transducer variability and hours put on a certain headphone that make the difference.

I generally buy second hand so that may help. I figured since I have a longish narrow head with a beard it might make the seal less tight, ergo less air pressure changes for the drivers?

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #6,013 of 12,974
Has anyone compared Empyrean with Ifi Micro Black label versus Chord Hugo 2?

I've not been counting, but guessing I'm somewhere in the range of 100-150 hours with both the Empyreans and my Ifi Micro BL.

Originally I found the Ifi to be a bit harsh sounding compared to my (limited) other dac/amp combos but now I feel like things have improved. No idea if this is brain burn in or something electronic.

Anyway, one of the things I have been noticing is that on some songs I'm fairly familiar with, the vocals sound somewhat recessed, seem to be in the background, or quieter than other instruments in the song. It's not noticeable on all songs, but some. And this is something that isn't really apparent with the other gear that I have.

I'm wondering how much of this could be the natural signature of the Empyrean versus the amp pairing.

Any insights are appreciated!

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #6,014 of 12,974
Has anyone compared Empyrean with Ifi Micro Black label versus Chord Hugo 2?

I've not been counting, but guessing I'm somewhere in the range of 100-150 hours with both the Empyreans and my Ifi Micro BL.

Originally I found the Ifi to be a bit harsh sounding compared to my (limited) other dac/amp combos but now I feel like things have improved. No idea if this is brain burn in or something electronic.

Anyway, one of the things I have been noticing is that on some songs I'm fairly familiar with, the vocals sound somewhat recessed, seem to be in the background, or quieter than other instruments in the song. It's not noticeable on all songs, but some. And this is something that isn't really apparent with the other gear that I have.

I'm wondering how much of this could be the natural signature of the Empyrean versus the amp pairing.

Any insights are appreciated!

The mids definitely aren't in your face so that could be what you are noticing. It depends quite a bit on what pads you are using as well. Supposedly the new pads will make them more neutral sounding but at this stage I am not even sure they exist lol.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #6,015 of 12,974
The mids definitely aren't in your face so that could be what you are noticing. It depends quite a bit on what pads you are using as well. Supposedly the new pads will make them more neutral sounding but at this stage I am not even sure they exist lol.

Would definitely be interested in these 'new pads' then.

Currently using the alcantara pads. Switched to the leather ones a few times but found them a bit too intense sounding and closed in by comparison.

It's odd that's it's not all songs that I experienced the quieter vocals. I've been listening the last hour or so with different songs trying to pinpoint anything sonically about the vocals that sound a bit quieter, but can't put anything down to it specifically right now apart from the gear or recording.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back