Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #5,986 of 12,974
@thecrow The HEKSE or the Susvara were on my to buy next list. Not to sure which way to go here. Me and @mixman have talked about it a bit, but still a hard decision to make considering the price difference. I have an amp powerful enough to drive the Susvara with ease, but if the HEKSE is able to provide sound that is close to as good as the Susvara at almost half the price that may well be the best way to go.

If you wouldn't mind could you elaborate on what specifically makes the HEKSE so special and how it compares to the Empy?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #5,987 of 12,974
the empyrean is NOT in the susvara class....it is a fine HP but the susvara is flat out better.....also you can buy a sisvara today at a far more attractive price than when they first came out

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #5,988 of 12,974
the empyrean is NOT in the susvara class....it is a fine HP but the susvara is flat out better.....also you can buy a sisvara today at a far more attractive price than when they first came out
One would hope they are better for double the price at $6,000.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #5,989 of 12,974
@thecrow The HEKSE or the Susvara were on my to buy next list. Not to sure which way to go here. Me and @mixman have talked about it a bit, but still a hard decision to make considering the price difference. I have an amp powerful enough to drive the Susvara with ease, but if the HEKSE is able to provide sound that is close to as good as the Susvara at almost half the price that may well be the best way to go.

If you wouldn't mind could you elaborate on what specifically makes the HEKSE so special and how it compares to the Empy?

Thanks
it's all about personal preferences

apologies for those that have seen these views in my posts before...but since you asked

the empyreans are hps with very good detail and are quite forgiving for lesser recordings
the hekse have more precision and have excellent detail (vs very good)

i easily prefer the more "lively/brighter" element of the sound of the hekse
not that the empys are not lively as such
i also enjoy the empys and am very happy I have them

i found the empys to sound good with my auralic taurus but i found the lower end bump a bit too much with my previous cayin iha6 - so for me the gear was important with my empys r whether I liked them or not. I demoes three times befor I bought them after buying the auralic taurus

i have liked the hekse with everything i have tried including my ipad mini 5
I initially bought the hekv2 before upgrading to the hekse

YMMV

my first higher end headphone was the hd800 (with a system built around it including the woo wa2) so do take into account my personal preferences

i have also pointed to this review a number of times that i generally agree with too
https://musicalhead.de/2018/11/20/t...meze-empyrean-audeze-lcd4z-mrspeakers-ether2/

ps i have only demoed the susvaras once (maybe with a moon 430had but i'm not sure). I though they were AMAZINGLY transparent. I have never heard anything like that....but i have not heard any stax setups either
Whether these will get a little too vanilla after a while I do not know but WOW they sounded so true

that's my 2c on all of this

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #5,990 of 12,974
It has been available at some retailers for a few months now. (RRP £2999 instead of £2749.)
They do look good but for my personal taste the copper version is a bit over the top. Just like the golden bits on the 99 Classics.
I prefer the more low key but still exquisite appearance of the original version. It is good to have the option though to meet different tastes.
I just don't really understand the £250 difference...

I ordered the copper version direct from Meze (they had one in stock when I contacted them) and was charged the same price as the original version. It's nice but I wouldn't say nicer than the original. Certainly not worth paying £250 extra that some dealers are asking.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #5,991 of 12,974
I ordered the copper version direct from Meze (they had one in stock when I contacted them) and was charged the same price as the original version. It's nice but I wouldn't say nicer than the original. Certainly not worth paying £250 extra that some dealers are asking.
I ordered the copper version direct from Meze. These replaced the original one I had. Sold them by mistake but I love the look of the copper more. Plus no diaphragm crinkle when I move my head anymore. And they sound Amazing off my Formula S.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #5,992 of 12,974
I ordered the copper version direct from Meze. These replaced the original one I had. Sold them by mistake but I love the look of the copper more. Plus no diaphragm crinkle when I move my head anymore. And they sound Amazing off my Formula S.
The copper editions are also in stock and can be ordered from Moon Audio for $2,999.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #5,993 of 12,974
I have a copper version...it sounds much,much better...lol..enybody with mscaler...tt2..on empy? What do you think? I am quite
satisfied
but...i know from cord gear..i could
squeeze a little more
deteil out of it...but i dont care...i am not shure the english right..but you understand me right? I think it is better for my ears this whay...and it’s sounds good..remember...i have had he1000se audeze x..sennhiser hd 800s..focal utopia..and some more...yust my 2 cents as..ho..you know ho you are..done.thecrowe.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #5,994 of 12,974
The diaphragm crinkle is the nature of all planar headphones to slightly different extent. The Empy is quite prone to it. No worries, the crinkling sound will come back after 80-100hrs.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #5,995 of 12,974
Which HP made diaphragm crinkle?

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #5,996 of 12,974
Which HP made diaphragm crinkle?
All planars do.
I have actually changed a few emails about this with Rinaro. They said it is possible to make the Empy 'crinkle-less' but it is a very time consuming procedure which is why they (and most other planar manufacturers) don't do it in mass production. It also doesn't really affect usage as the crinkle sound is not present while you are listening to music.
They offered me to send my Empy back to Ukraine so they can fix it for me, but honestly I am not that bothered. (My Audeze headphones crinkled a bit less though.)

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #5,997 of 12,974
All planars do.
I have actually changed a few emails about this with Rinaro. They said it is possible to make the Empy 'crinkle-less' but it is a very time consuming procedure which is why they (and most other planar manufacturers) don't do it in mass production. It also doesn't really affect usage as the crinkle sound is not present while you are listening to music.
They offered me to send my Empy back to Ukraine so they can fix it for me, but honestly I am not that bothered. (My Audeze headphones crinkled a bit less though.)
No crinkled here?by the way @betula do you listen to orbital?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #5,999 of 12,974
Jan 28, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6,000 of 12,974
No crinkled here?by the way @betula do you listen to orbital?
I don't know Orbital. They sound nice but I am not surprised you are falling asleep.
I am more into Solar Fields, CBL, Asura, Entheogenic, Simon Posford sort of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back