Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #5,941 of 12,974
Empyrean is on par with other flagships. It's polite high frequencies may lead to wrong first impression because it does not throw small details into your face. After spending some time with Meze, I would not say that LCD4 or HE1000se is better. Different sound, but same class in general.

I agree with @Ragnar-BY. I am using the Empy and ZMF Verite open and could easily live with either hp. Yes, the Empy is more comfortable, but the Verite are pretty good in comfort as well. The VO only have about 15-20 hours so I expect to see them improve as I get more time on the clock. They have already done so from listening on day 1 w/ 0 hours. The ZMF may have a bit more detail / clarity and the Empy's may go a bit deeper in bass but both are pretty stunning hp!

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #5,942 of 12,974
I agree with @Ragnar-BY. I am using the Empy and ZMF Verite open and could easily live with either hp. Yes, the Empy is more comfortable, but the Verite are pretty good in comfort as well. The VO only have about 15-20 hours so I expect to see them improve as I get more time on the clock. They have already done so from listening on day 1 w/ 0 hours. The ZMF may have a bit more detail / clarity and the Empy's may go a bit deeper in bass but both are pretty stunning hp!
The Verite and the Empy are actually a good pairing. The Verite is better at acoustic instruments and some hard rock, where the Empy is better at EDM, Hip Hop and some Metal. I do miss my Empys.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #5,943 of 12,974
The Verite and the Empy are actually a good pairing. The Verite is better at acoustic instruments and some hard rock, where the Empy is better at EDM, Hip Hop and some Metal. I do miss my Empys.
Looking forward to one day hearing the Empy. May I ask you what you think comparing the HE1000SE versus the HEXV2?

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #5,944 of 12,974
So I currently have an Empyrean and the LCD-4. I am running them through a Denafrips Terminator which is frequently compared to the Dave and have used both the Headamp GSXMK2 and now the Schiit Ragnarok 2. I mention this part only to show that my gear is not the issue insofar as I can tell. I also listen to only high res music and have to say that I am beginning to question how good my ears are. The LCD-4 should be noticeably better than the Emp, but thus far I have A/B'ed extensively and obsessively and find the Empy to be equal to if not better than the 4 in most cases. The only area where I can tell the 4 has at least a bit of an edge is in bass. The Empy bass is certainly great but the 4 shows the bass with more precision and prowess. This doesn't even take into consideration the fact that the Empy is so much more comfortable than the 4 that I am wondering if that comfort plays a role in my enjoyment of the sound. neither one is anywhere near broken in, but still I feel a bit odd about these observations thus far.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this or made similar observations with other headphones of a higher tier?

Thanks
I agree with your observations. I would add though, that the Empy becomes truly fabulous and on par with other flagships out of high-end gear like yours. Even though they sound nice and they are efficient out of mid-fi amps and dacs too, I think some other flagships may impress people more from mid-fi gear. High-end gear brings out the technicalities from the Empy. At least that's my experience.

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #5,945 of 12,974
So I currently have an Empyrean and the LCD-4. I am running them through a Denafrips Terminator which is frequently compared to the Dave and have used both the Headamp GSXMK2 and now the Schiit Ragnarok 2. I mention this part only to show that my gear is not the issue insofar as I can tell. I also listen to only high res music and have to say that I am beginning to question how good my ears are. The LCD-4 should be noticeably better than the Emp, but thus far I have A/B'ed extensively and obsessively and find the Empy to be equal to if not better than the 4 in most cases. The only area where I can tell the 4 has at least a bit of an edge is in bass. The Empy bass is certainly great but the 4 shows the bass with more precision and prowess. This doesn't even take into consideration the fact that the Empy is so much more comfortable than the 4 that I am wondering if that comfort plays a role in my enjoyment of the sound. neither one is anywhere near broken in, but still I feel a bit odd about these observations thus far.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this or made similar observations with other headphones of a higher tier?

Thanks

I A/B tested most high end headphones against the Empy when I bought them. I went to the store with the plan to try everything and choose the best.
So I listened to LCD 3/4 the hifiman stuff Focal and Final audio. A year later i did the same again.
Empy still wins. There is not much difference with the high end headphones it seems. Or at least not to my ears. But the Empy just has my favorite sound.

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #5,948 of 12,974
Empy Black Copper looks damn sexy and want to kidnap to pet it! My low-class peasant 99 Classics can buzz off right now! Just kidding :p
May I ask what the Empy is for? I must be nuts to use it as a allround headphone? I mean for everything.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #5,950 of 12,974
Hi! I have a question if you dont mind....whats the difference between empyrean and verite c? Who do you like the best? Thanks.

Sure not a problem. I have mainly used the VC since I bought them and they have a more balanced and natural sound than the Empyreans in my opinion. The Empyreans are a bit loose in the bass by comparison but they do have fairly similar attributes in the treble area, they are both detailed but smooth. They are both comfortable but the Empyreans definitely win overall in that aspect due to their reduced weight and headband design.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #5,951 of 12,974
Sure not a problem. I have mainly used the VC since I bought them and they have a more balanced and natural sound than the Empyreans in my opinion. The Empyreans are a bit loose in the bass by comparison but they do have fairly similar attributes in the treble area, they are both detailed but smooth. They are both comfortable but the Empyreans definitely win overall in that aspect due to their reduced weight and headband design.
Ok...thanks..but do vc have more detail and slam?

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #5,952 of 12,974
Ok...thanks..but do vc have more detail and slam?

I would say the level of detail is fairly similar but the VC digs a bit deeper and is cleaner.

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #5,953 of 12,974
The vc and empy have enough detail, but the vc mids and highs are a bit more in your face.

VC has a more balanced presentation.
I prefer the mid bass and bass slam of the empy.
VC bass slam is just slightly less, but the low end seems more textured.
Empy on suede pads sounds wider than VC.

Overall, my preference is empy suede > vc > empy leather.

Jan 24, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #5,954 of 12,974
My local dealer is getting two of the Copper edition. One is already sold but maybe i can swap my non copper version for a new one. Lets see.

Meze-Empyrean-Black-Copper-2.jpg

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #5,955 of 12,974
I've been using my empyrean with a TT2 using a silver/gold cable and fed by a Nucleus for a few months and now has come the time to add some impressions to this thread.

Coming from an Elear that I very much liked but did find a bit bloated in the bass and limited on the treble extension, I was first struck by how recessed the mids were on the empyrean. But came to realize that those mids are actually splendid and I can’t find anything wrong about it. It’s actually the bass that is overly present, especiallu with the leather pads. I actually had to eq it by -4 or 5db. Let’s talk about that bass. It’s powerful, it’s somewhat clean, maybe not as fast as I’d like it to be, it can have good impact when the record calls for it (Archive “Londinium” album for example) but the sub-bass is somewhat missing. The oomph is not there. I don’t have that deep rumble that dynamic drivers might have. Treble? Excellent. Clean, extended. Just the right amount IMO. I don’t understand those comments saying the empy is shy on the treble. Of course it’s not a Beyer T1 and it’s a good thing! In short, medium and up, awesome, bass, too much and lacks some finesse and slam. It did improve through usage (i'm close to 100hrs i think) but I don't think it will ever get ever fast and clean.

The other aspect of this headphone that does take some time adjusting to is the staging. Yes it’s wide and precise, but it’s like the sound is coming from the side of my ears, or even behind my head (?!)… for some reason the stage is never "in front" of me, even with crossfeed activated. I never heard that before and can’t tell why it’s happening. My right ear is not in top shape and does struggle to hear high freq. I don’t know if had anything to do with it. Fact is though, no headphone has ever stressed so much the difference between my 2 ears :frowning2: The fact the pads are so thick and distant from the ear could also explain this. It would be great if Meze could develop some angled pads for the empy instead of tweaking the material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back