Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 29, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #4,111 of 12,974
About one month since I got the Empyrean, I really like them!
A question though, that has bugged me a bit:
I use headphone stands by Room's audio line, which means the earcups are hanging freely. Due to the design, they are tilted slightly upwards. And since the Empyrean doesn't have cloth or foam or something like that covering the driver (just the magnetic mesh type thing) i was thinking: does that mean dust can fall into the driver and collect on it? Is this something I should worry about?

There’s medication for that. LOL

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #4,112 of 12,974
I use headphone stands by Room's audio line, which means the earcups are hanging freely. Due to the design, they are tilted slightly upwards. And since the Empyrean doesn't have cloth or foam or something like that covering the driver (just the magnetic mesh type thing) i was thinking: does that mean dust can fall into the driver and collect on it? Is this something I should worry about?
You should probably sell them while you can. (to me). :)

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,114 of 12,974

I am actually in my makeshift woodshop trying to design a stand for them. All the ones I have seen to short and I do not like how the wires hit the table surface. Now I will have to make sure the cups have a seal after reading this, just in case :)

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #4,115 of 12,974
I am actually in my makeshift woodshop trying to design a stand for them. All the ones I have seen to short and I do not like how the wires hit the table surface. Now I will have to make sure the cups have a seal after reading this, just in case :)
The Sieveking Sound Omega (or something shaped like that) would work...

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,116 of 12,974

OH, I wish I could worry about this. Unfortunately my bank account & wife make sure this isn't an issue, so it's one less thing in life to worry about!

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4,117 of 12,974
A case I originally purchased for my HD820 works well for the Empyrean's - here it is on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DN8PRO-XL-Audeze-Sennheiser-headphones-GRIP-TECH/dp/B07DBBRPLM/

I would just note you will need to remove the cable (which you should do anyway) for a proper fit.

813D6trHeHL._SL1500_.jpg

I know this is pretty delayed but I finally got around to buying one of these cases and I couldn't for the life of me get the Empyreans to fit in it. The tubes that stick out the side for size adjustment protrude too far and it just generally seemed too small. It was definitely the 2XL you purchased?

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #4,118 of 12,974
Jun 29, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,122 of 12,974
C03AEDE3-916A-49C0-B916-5A6A03A243EB.jpeg CC63F3E9-8BB6-4D0E-B2A0-915AA9DC0346.jpeg this is how I am using it right now. So handtowels from dollar tree and ikea display case for $29. So whole package is $31 and no more stress on headband etc and no worries of dust.

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #4,123 of 12,974

Probably.

When I first got the empyrean, It was as empyrean owners will know, a little nerve racking to adjust because of how tight the sliders are when new.

So it was clamping a bit tight and the first time I removed the pads I noticed condensation on the driver guard, which scared the crap out of me. So I understand your concern.

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #4,124 of 12,974
Empyrean for me was love at first sight (first audition), but we know that can be misleading.

Happened to me with the Clear actually, I loved them at audition, bought them and then couldn't live with them as they were too energetic, borderline aggressive.

The Empyrean keeps growing on me day by day. I just love them more and more. They offer the technicalities of a true TOTL flagship while staying musical, entertaining, alive, fun, engaging and addictive.

Funny the storage issue came up, I was about to ask how you guys store your Empys. I am also a bit worried about dust getting into the cups and drivers.
Putting the headphones back into the case would be a bit of a hassle mostly due to detaching the cable each time.

I was looking into the Stax cover? But it looks a bit silly. I found these which could possibly work. Anyone using something similar? Is it just another silly idea?
I quite like the IKEA box too..

What does @Meze say? How important is dust protection?

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #4,125 of 12,974
Empyrean for me was love at first sight (first audition), but we know that can be misleading.

Happened to me with the Clear actually, I loved them at audition, bought them and then couldn't live with them as they were too energetic, borderline aggressive.

The Empyrean keeps growing on me day by day. I just love them more and more. They offer the technicalities of a true TOTL flagship while staying musical, entertaining, alive, fun, engaging and addictive.

Funny the storage issue came up, I was about to ask how you guys store your Empys. I am also a bit worried about dust getting into the cups and drivers.
Putting the headphones back into the case would be a bit of a hassle mostly due to detaching the cable each time.

I was looking into the Stax cover? But it looks a bit silly. I found these which could possibly work. Anyone using something similar? Is it just another silly idea?
I quite like the IKEA box too..

What does @Meze say? How important is dust protection?
Just to let you know Stax cover may be too tight for Empyrean as they are not very wide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back