Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 28, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #3,856 of 13,028
Has anyone tried the Empyrean with the Yiggy 2 and Ragnarock?

Selling a bunch of my gear that i was using with hd 800 S to fund my new Empyreans and their Amp/dac. ive also been looking into the holo audio spring 2 KTE and Azure amp, however am slightly getting turned off by these considering the spring 1 was said by many to be outlassed by the yiggy 2 and holo audio themselves say the spring 2 isnt a massive preformance gain over the spring 1.

Any info or spectacular amp/dac pairings you recommend would be nice. and yes i have used the search function and looked up amps/dacs in this thread. There isnt a ton of info.

thanks,
Josh

May 28, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #3,857 of 13,028

Selling a bunch of my gear that i was using with hd 800 S to fund my new Empyreans and their Amp/dac. ive also been looking into the holo audio spring 2 KTE and Azure amp, however am slightly getting turned off by these considering the spring 1 was said by many to be outlassed by the yiggy 2 and holo audio themselves say the spring 2 isnt a massive preformance gain over the spring 1.

Any info or spectacular amp/dac pairings you recommend would be nice. and yes i have used the search function and looked up amps/dacs in this thread. There isnt a ton of info.

thanks,
Josh

You could ask a user called Torq on these forums. I believe he had tried a lot of the Holo Audio lineup and also had the Yggy 2 so he might be a good resource.

May 28, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #3,861 of 13,028
The Hugo 2 is on another level in the time domain of music, and you’ll realise this within a few hours. It is a little on the uh, harsh side (bright side?) esp compared to the laid back tazzy, but it is on another level. I was convinced: that is an amazing DAC.

They are both amazing, but massively different, dacs.

The alcantara pads are great with it as it cuts through their main issue.

I would always wear leather otherwise.

Before, I was like, alcantara is worthless, now, I get it.

And yes. It is even still slightly harsh to me, even with alcantara. Detail loss is no longer a concern tho....hah!

Sources do seem to dramatically affect headphone presentation.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #3,862 of 13,028
The Hugo 2 is on another level in the time domain of music, and you’ll realise this within a few hours. It is a little on the uh, harsh side (bright side?) esp compared to the laid back tazzy, but it is on another level. I was convinced: that is an amazing DAC.

They are both amazing, but massively different, dacs.

The alcantara pads are great with it as it cuts through their main issue.

I would always wear leather otherwise.

Before, I was like, alcantara is worthless, now, I get it.

And yes. It is even still slightly harsh to me, even with alcantara. Detail loss is no longer a concern tho....hah!

Sources do seem to dramatically affect headphone presentation.

Very nice, good to hear that its that big of a difference. What are your thoughts on the Tazzy? I heard from a few people that the unit is mostly a dac, that the amp portion was slightly lacking?

May 28, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #3,863 of 13,028
No, thats not correct, the amp might not be as strong for people with inefficient headphones, but it is very refined.

It is a very smooth and sophisticated amp, just maybe not pushing loudest to drive headphones as much as possible.

Hugo 2 has a much more shrill, but more powerful (ie, louder... and IMO unusable after a certain point) amp than it... Still sounds great due to the Hugo Dac tho.

Together these 2 sound pretty incredible, with Hugo2 as Dac and Tazzy as Amp.

Otherwise they are wildly different sound presentations. One cold and ultra analytical and one relaxed and warm.

All listening with the Empyrean

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #3,864 of 13,028

thanks,
Josh

Hi I've been running the Holo Spring 2 KTE along with the Empyreans and got them about the same time. Both require burn in and I now leave the Spring 2 on MUTE when not in use. At first I I felt both of them were just too warm for my taste. But after a solid week of burn in everything just opened up on both with a huge sound stage, with excellent detail retrieval. So far very happy with both and waiting for a Norne OCC Silver Litz 8 wire should be arriving soon.

May 28, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #3,865 of 13,028
My quick take/story on my Empyrean cable upgrade:

Originally I really didn’t think I would keep my Empyrean within the first few weeks of owning it. I felt like there was something missing in the sound, like some detail was being masked/muddied. So I decided that I would try out a cable upgrade since I’ve seen a great deal of people recommending a cable upgrade.

I went with a custom Norne Audio Draug 3S that I color matched to the Empyrean as best as possible. Upon receiving the Draug 3S I was greeted with a pleasant set of changes. Firstly, bass texture improved, you can really get full textured bass, as if you have a high quality subwoofer. Second, there was an increase to the flair of the Empyrean. With the stock cable the Empyrean was a little too dark for my taste. With the added flair the upgraded cable gave the Empyrean I got a tiny bit more excitement (brightness) to the sound that I was searching for. It’s almost as if the leading edge of notes are a little bit sharper now and that’s what really changes the presentation.

All in all I gotta say I’m glad I gave the Empyrean a second chance with an upgraded cable before ditching them. Now I see why Meze sells cable upgrades for the Empyrean. I just wish the Empyrean cable was a little bit better out of the box.

0DC889B9-E897-4887-997E-31BDC7641A8D.jpeg

May 29, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #3,866 of 13,028
Hi I've been running the Holo Spring 2 KTE along with the Empyreans and got them about the same time. Both require burn in and I now leave the Spring 2 on MUTE when not in use. At first I I felt both of them were just too warm for my taste. But after a solid week of burn in everything just opened up on both with a huge sound stage, with excellent detail retrieval. So far very happy with both and waiting for a Norne OCC Silver Litz 8 wire should be arriving soon.

Thanks for the info on that! Are you running the spring 2 in nos mode?
What are your thoughts on the ladder dac sound vs sigma delta dacs?

May 29, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #3,868 of 13,028
I just got a Hugo 2 and now I understand what the Alcantara Pads are for

So far this year, my chain has developed from M Scaler -> Mojopoly -> Empyreans to M Scaler -> loaner Hugo 2 -> Empyreans and now finally M Scaler -> TT2 -> Empyreans, and in all setups I stuck with the leather pads. I don't really get on with the alcantara sound.

May 29, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #3,869 of 13,028

thanks,
Josh

I don't have the Yiggy2/Rag2 but it's smaller siblings the Gumby/Mjolnir2 and think they sound great with the Empyrean, plenty of power and the music just sounds right to my ears; so clean and natural especially in the bass region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back