Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 23, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #2,281 of 12,974
Thanks. I’m still waiting to get a home demo of the Empyrean but have just learned the Lazuli Reference I ordered for my Utopia has shipped. Looking forward to receiving it sometime early next week. It should be a good complement to the Prion4 I’m currently using. I also have short hard adapters that allow me to use Utopia-terminated cables with my LCD-4, so could also use with the Empyrean.

Why are you waiting for a home demo of these headphones?

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,282 of 12,974
To those that have listened to the Empyreans how will they compare to my current HE1000V2 cans. I have the Empyreans coming next week when they land in New Jersey. I'm excited by the comments i'm reading here but none compared to the HiFiMan HE1000. Thanks much

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #2,286 of 12,974
To those that have listened to the Empyreans how will they compare to my current HE1000V2 cans. I have the Empyreans coming next week when they land in New Jersey. I'm excited by the comments i'm reading here but none compared to the HiFiMan HE1000. Thanks much

I have both - the Empyreans, with leather pads, are richer in the mids and have more bass - the HEKv2 have a bigger and wider soundstage and more "air" around the instruments - they can get a bit fizzy in the high treble and the Meze do not - they are quite different overall - I love both for different styles, HEK for jazz and mostly acoustic music, Meze for fuller range, more complex music and vocals. YMMV.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #2,287 of 12,974
I have both - the Empyreans, with leather pads, are richer in the mids and have more bass - the HEKv2 have a bigger and wider soundstage and more "air" around the instruments - they can get a bit fizzy in the high treble and the Meze do not - they are quite different overall - I love both for different styles, HEK for jazz and mostly acoustic music, Meze for fuller range, more complex music and vocals. YMMV.

Have you also tried them with the suede pads? Could you briefly relay how they change the sound?

It seems it’s impossible to get a consensus with the pads. We’re getting literally opposite opinions. Some say the suede add mid bass and some say the leather add mid bass.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #2,288 of 12,974

How rolled off is the top end compared to LCD4? Does it have less treble sparkle? From most descriptions of the Meze, it sounds almost synonymous w/ how I'd describe LCD4.. rich, lush, smooth, etc.. it has been difficult to get a sense of the difference.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #2,289 of 12,974
Have you also tried them with the suede pads? Could you briefly relay how they change the sound?

It seems it’s impossible to get a consensus with the pads. We’re getting literally opposite opinions. Some say the suede add mid bass and some say the leather add mid bass.

Yes, I have listened to both pads extensively - the leather pads are more dynamic, have better bass, better separation of instruments and are punchier overall. The Alcantara pads are smoother and blend instruments a bit more seamlessly but at the expense of dynamics,

How rolled off is the top end compared to LCD4? Does it have less treble sparkle? From most descriptions of the Meze, it sounds almost synonymous w/ how I'd describe LCD4.. rich, lush, smooth, etc.. it has been difficult to get a sense of the difference.

I don't find the top rolled off compared to the LCD4s at all - the Meze to me have just as much high end and although they have about as much bass too, they do sound quite different. To me the Meze are a bit more intimate, you feel closer to the stage, the vocals seem very close and clear, the LCD4s have a wider stage, more "air" around the instruments and are weightier in tone overall. I feel the Meze have as much full range as the Audeze but the Audeze feel like you're sitting in a bigger room, there is a hint of a reverb like quality to its signature. The Meze are drier, have more immediate focus and to me a bit better overall balance. I find at higher volume the LCD4s have a bit of higher midrange haze, the Meze do not have this at all.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #2,290 of 12,974
Yes, I have listened to both pads extensively - the leather pads are more dynamic, have better bass, better separation of instruments and are punchier overall. The Alcantara pads are smoother and blend instruments a bit more seamlessly but at the expense of dynamics,

I don't find the top rolled off compared to the LCD4s at all - the Meze to me have just as much high end and although they have about as much bass too, they do sound quite different. To me the Meze are a bit more intimate, you feel closer to the stage, the vocals seem very close and clear, the LCD4s have a wider stage, more "air" around the instruments and are weightier in tone overall. I feel the Meze have as much full range as the Audeze but the Audeze feel like you're sitting in a bigger room, there is a hint of a reverb like quality to its signature. The Meze are drier, have more immediate focus and to me a bit better overall balance. I find at higher volume the LCD4s have a bit of higher midrange haze, the Meze do not have this at all.

Thanks for that! So would you say the Alcantara pads also reduce the mid bass? Just trying to clarify.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #2,291 of 12,974
Thanks for that! So would you say the Alcantara pads also reduce the mid bass? Just trying to clarify.

I would say Alcantara reduces bass across the board but since the leather pads are punchier and reproduce lower bass better, it could just *feel* like the Alcantara pads reduce mid bass. The Alcantaras seem to smooth out the whole tonal range and are more laid back.

Jan 23, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #2,292 of 12,974
ery recent unit (had a card inside that said inspected 16th Jan 2019). The Thank you card is now black and the cutouts for the cable and card are differently shaped. Oddly the material that should cover the hinge at the back of the casing was missing on mi

Hi, glad you liked the Empyrean at first try.
All those changes regarding the suitcase where intentional and to improve functionality and usability. Cost of manufacturing is still the same. So that was not the reason.
Black card is marking second batch of production
I hope the Empyrean will make you happy in the long run. :)

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jan 24, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #2,295 of 12,974
Any suggestions for a headphone stand for the Empyrean. Where most stands have a hanger like piece at the top, I don’t think it suits these headphones with the shape of their headband.
What about this? .....stand.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back