Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #10,831 of 12,974
Oh, I do wonder what price point they target if this is a successor as the naming scheme implies.
We will likely know by tomorrow

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #10,833 of 12,974
Just compared an Empyrean to my Focal Clear (original) which I prefer to the new MG version.
Here are my brief impressions:

Both had excellent bass extension.
I prefer the tone of the Clear (less mid-bass).
"Resolution" was the same.
The Clear had a bit better dynamics.
The Empyrean has a much wider soundstage and better imaging with a more speaker-like presentation.
The Empyrean's design is much better, except for the earcups that can swivel more than 360 degrees and tangle the cord.
The Empyrean was slightly more comfortable though the earpads were a little warmer.
The mesh on the Empyrean seems more fragile than the mesh on the Clear.
The cable on the Empyrean is better. The Clear's is like a vacuum cord.

In terms of overall sound quality, the Empyrean is slightly better.
Factoring in everything else, I prefer the Empyrean.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #10,834 of 12,974
Haha, I think I understand what you are trying to say, but it reads funny somehow. As in, how can you not be in favor of the best getting better... :wink:

I agree, it certainly looks to be heading in the direction of an Empyrean successor. And for me, that makes it more interesting, not less.. :) We will have clarity by next week, at the latest.
Yeah, I'm just playing the expectations game with the hype. Depending on how true the Elite is to Meze's house sound, I genuinely might not even be interested in it. Given where I'm at with the hobby, I'm more excited by a fun but transparent closed back planar or IEM that won't consume too much power. Though, if they're trying to put their spin on a technical, S-tier planar (direct competition with Abyss or Susvara), that would be very interesting to me, depending on the price ofc. I just hope they're not sacrificing musicality in their pursuit of technical perfection, as I like Meze because they're precisely not like all the other headphone makers out there right now.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #10,835 of 12,974
Just a speculation from my point of view.

The new Meze will be called Meze Elite (not Elite Empyrean) and it will be a closed back headphone that is around 1.5k new. It would more sense to me, to release headphone that uses technology from the Empyrean and trickle it down to a more affordable model rather than replace their flagship with a slightly tweaked version.

Pure speculation, not a single clue what is happening really, so let's see how wrong I am. :)
No, it is an Elite Empyrean. You're a little off haha. Silver/black. Definitely above the Empyrean. How much above. I don't know.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #10,836 of 12,974
All I know is that if it’s a true successor to the Empyrean from a technical perspective, I’ll go into bankruptcy to get my hands on a pair.

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #10,837 of 12,974
my guess is that it will be merely another version of the Empyreans in terms of finish only, i.e. the sound is the same, merely the materials, texture, color, will be different. much like their limited reddish blotchy version (forgot its name), it's the same headphones sonically, but the finish is supposed to be higher end for those who care about such things.

just a guess.

part of my reasoning is that on his Facebook post, one of the 4 pictures in that 4-picture composite post shows a grill that is identical to the Empyrean's grill. that is a hint, for me at least, that the headphone will be technically the same, besides the materials/finishes.

we shall see.

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #10,838 of 12,974
All I know is that if it’s a true successor to the Empyrean from a technical perspective, I’ll go into bankruptcy to get my hands on a pair.
In that case my advice is get lines of credit, buy the new hp, chord dave, m scaler, bartok, susvara, and abyss tc1266 and powerful amp by using your line of credit and then go into bankruptcy.

that makes more sense

edit: and “give them as gifts” to friends or loved ones, then declare bankruptcy

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #10,839 of 12,974
my guess is that it will be merely another version of the Empyreans in terms of finish only, i.e. the sound is the same, merely the materials, texture, color, will be different. much like their limited reddish blotchy version (forgot its name), it's the same headphones sonically, but the finish is supposed to be higher end for those who care about such things.

just a guess.
I hope you’re wrong, but you may be right. That would be quite disappointing.
part of my reasoning is that on his Facebook post, one of the 4 pictures in that 4-picture composite post shows a grill that is identical to the Empyrean's grill. that is a hint, for me at least, that the headphone will be technically the same, besides the materials/finishes.

we shall see.
I wouldn’t read too much into that. The HE1000v1/v2 had the same grill as the HEKse, but significantly different drivers

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #10,840 of 12,974
In that case my advice is get lines of credit, buy the new hp, chord dave, m scaler, bartok, susvara, and abyss tc1266 and powerful amp by using your line of credit and then go into bankruptcy.

that makes more sense

edit: and “give them as gifts” to friends or loved ones, then declare bankruptcy
oh, of course :joy:

edit/shameless plug: I actually have a Susvara for sale if anyone is looking and wants to help me get ‘em :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #10,841 of 12,974
oh, of course :joy:

edit/shameless plug: I actually have a Susvara for sale if anyone is looking and wants to help me get ‘em :wink:
Would look into them but customs to Europe is a pain unfortunately

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #10,842 of 12,974
Just to raise expectations a bit: it's not only a paint update 😉

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #10,843 of 12,974
Just to raise expectations a bit: it's not only a paint update 😉
Well, your signature seems to indicate that what you know is worth knowing... :sunglasses:

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #10,844 of 12,974
Well, your signature seems to indicate that what you know is worth knowing... :sunglasses:
I hope so for the sake of my purse 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back