Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 5, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #10,187 of 12,974
May be, as mentioned, i have not listened to verite. Meze may be less dynamic (even muddy) with some amps but if paired with the right amp this is not the case. This is all subjective obviously.
I auditioned the Verité Open quite some time ago from the TT2/MScaler combo along with my Empyrean. Judge this with a generous amount of salt, but from memory I found the VO thinner with a smaller soundstage. That said, the 3D feel of it was awesome and perhaps had a slightly more natural instrumental timbre. I still found the Empyrean more entertaining and more to my liking: thicker, perhaps slightly less detailed but more fun and engaging.

Some people said the TT2/MScaler combo is not ideal for ZMF. I do not know, but I am still interested in trying them from a proper tube amp that most ZMF fans swear at. Also I am interested in the Verité closed, that many people seem to prefer to the Verité open. I have never heard the closed version.

ZMF headphones seem to be more picky when it comes to pairing. And to me it is a lot of hassle to audition them, and then finding the right pairing that I can afford. This somewhat limits my curiosity and keeps me in the happy camp of Empyrean owners.

Pictures from an awesome audition a couple of years ago in London:

IMG_20180519_142338579.jpg
IMG_20190406_111424654.jpg

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #10,188 of 12,974
I auditioned the Verité Open quite some time ago from the TT2/MScaler combo along with my Empyrean. Judge this with a generous amount of salt, but from memory I found the VO thinner with a smaller soundstage. That said, the 3D feel of it was awesome and perhaps had a slightly more natural instrumental timbre. I still found the Empyrean more entertaining and more to my liking: thicker, perhaps slightly less detailed but more fun and engaging.

Some people said the TT2/MScaler combo is not ideal for ZMF. I do not know, but I am still interested in trying them from a proper tube amp that most ZMF fans swear at. Also I am interested in the Verité closed, that many people seem to prefer to the Verité open. I have never heard the closed version.

ZMF headphones seem to be more picky when it comes to pairing. And to me it is a lot of hassle to audition them, and then finding the right pairing that I can afford. This somewhat limits my curiosity and keeps me in the happy camp of Empyrean owners.

Pictures from an awesome audition a couple of years ago in London:

This looks nice:) ZMF are really beautiful headphones:)

I prefer open headphones so was thinking of verite open. As many here i prefer thicker sound. I used to have audeze lcd3f which were awesome but were too heavy and had annoying peak in treable. This is why i switched to Meze.

Meze with the right amplification are quite detailed. I would say they are natural. There are many headphones more detailed but i find it a bit artificial as you do not hear that many details in reality.

Interesting what You mentioned verite are more natural in timbre and 3d. If i am to give the two best aspects of meze i would say natural timbre and 3d. Meze are also picky with respect to pairing and they also benefit a lot with good tube amp.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #10,189 of 12,974
This looks nice:) i prefer open headphones so was thinking of verite open. As many here i prefer thicker sound. I used to have audeze lcd3f which were awesome but were too heavy and had annoying peak in treable. This is why i switched to Meze.

Meze with the right amplification are quite detailed. I would say they are natural. There are many headphones more detailed but i find it a bit artificial as you do not hear that many details in reality.

Interesting what You mentioned verite are more natural in timbre and 3d. If i am to give the two best aspects of meze i would say natural timbre and 3d. Meze are also picky with respect to pairingband they also benefit a lot with good tube amp.
Agreed. If anything the Verité open sounded a bit 'cleaner' but not more fulfilling/satisfying. Bear in mind, these are just memories from a couple of years ago.

With these headphones DAC/amp pairing matters a lot. Even if the headphones have low impedance. As you said, the Empy with the right pairing is detailed (and technical) enough.

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #10,190 of 12,974
Agreed. If anything the Verité open sounded a bit 'cleaner' but not more fulfilling/satisfying. Bear in mind, these are just memories from a couple of years ago.

With these headphones DAC/amp pairing matters a lot. Even if the headphones have low impedance. As you said, the Empy with the right pairing is detailed (and technical) enough.

As usual to each their own preferences, glad you love your Empy so much :)

But what's funny to me is the way you describe Empy's sig is what I was looking for, yet I didn't find it - I did end up getting it from the Verite Closed with aplomb, so just a friendly suggestion to try it out if you get a chance 🍻

Jun 5, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #10,191 of 12,974
As usual to each their own preferences, glad you love your Empy so much :)

But what's funny to me is the way you describe Empy's sig is what I was looking for, yet I didn't find it - I did end up getting it from the Verite Closed with aplomb, so just a friendly suggestion to try it out if you get a chance 🍻
I was talking about the Verité open, and yes, I do have an intention to try the Verité closed.
I do wonder though, what DAC/amp combo you used which led you to not to like the Empyrean. And what combo you use with your VC.

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #10,192 of 12,974
I was talking about the Verité open, and yes, I do have an intention to try the Verité closed.
I do wonder though, what DAC/amp combo you used which led you to not to like the Empyrean. And what combo you use with your VC.

Yep I know, I mention the Closed specifically for that reason. And similarly I chose the Closed over Open as from what I'd gathered, the greater bass impact should have helped get me closer to what I wanted.

It's not that I didn't like Empy, I very much did. It is comfortable for long periods, awesome bass, and great soundstage. But to me it is an overall flatter sound (relative to the Auteur/VC), imaging was less precise, and while vocals are beautiful it is tough for any set of cans to match ZMF mids.

I'm honestly not trying to bash Empy here as it is a wonderful HP and again, all of this is so subjective to each individual case, but the VC to me sounds like a direct upgrade to Empy, as their overall tuning and approach is ultimately similar.

I ran the Auteur out of a DX200 as a souce and Feliks Echo as an amp.

I ran Empy and run VC out of the DX300 and Cayin C9 combo (ran Empy in Solid State mode with C9, run VC with Tube mode on the C9).

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #10,193 of 12,974
Yep I know, I mention the Closed specifically for that reason. And similarly I chose the Closed over Open as from what I'd gathered, the greater bass impact should have helped get me closer to what I wanted.

It's not that I didn't like Empy, I very much did. It is comfortable for long periods, awesome bass, and great soundstage. But to me it is an overall flatter sound (relative to the Auteur/VC), imaging was less precise, and while vocals are beautiful it is tough for any set of cans to match ZMF mids.

I'm honestly not trying to bash Empy here as it is a wonderful HP and again, all of this is so subjective to each individual case, but the VC to me sounds like a direct upgrade to Empy, as their overall tuning and approach is ultimately similar.

I ran the Auteur out of a DX200 as a souce and Feliks Echo as an amp.

I ran Empy and run VC out of the DX300 and Cayin C9 combo (ran Empy in Solid State mode with C9, run VC with Tube mode on the C9).
Thanks. One more question; what are your main music genres you listen to?

In my experience a desktop combo for the same money usually offers a more solid sound than a portable DAP.

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #10,194 of 12,974
I might have a specific treble sensitivity that can be narrowed down to a certain frequency, but I haven't bothered to figure it out yet.
All I know is that I can't stand overly bright headphones with a punchy, harsh and sharp treble. I just follow my ears and pick the headphones that I like: usually on the darker, smoother side when compared to the average. That said, I like natural treble detail which is not forced, I like a thicker, meatier sound with good texture and timbre. And I like my bass powerful and as clean as possible, but never overpowering. I love dynamics and clarity too.
Treble sensitive here, too. (In my case certain upper frequencies still aggravate an old tympanic membrane fissure from 15 years ago). I need to use some EQ in the treble on most of my headphones. Even somewhat on the Empyrean. Your preference description above reminds me of the Kennerton Vali. I think it would blow a lot of people away, who like that kind of presentation you mention-- if only more people could hear it.

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #10,195 of 12,974
Thanks. One more question; what are your main music genres you listen to?

In my experience a desktop combo for the same money usually offers a more solid sound than a portable DAP.

I mostly listen to a mix of indie, rock, folk, some R&B, some chill/lounge type stuff. Genres are so mixed at times it's hard to point at one.

Think:

Sylvan Esso
Radiohead
Laura Marling
Slenderbodies
Leon Bridges
Queens of the Stone Age
Some Billie Eilish
Lake Street Drive
Sampha
Syml
Ferris & Sylvester
Some Matthew Dear
Bonobo
....and on and on and on lol.

Agreed I could get a pretty nice desktop setup for the price of my transportable one, but at the moment I listen in diff rooms so need a transportable solution :)

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #10,197 of 12,974
Hey, made an order on feliks euforia ae, cant wait the delivery. Now Im deciding on the cable between FW Noir hybrid hpc and lavricables grand silver. Given that ae has copper occ, im little inclined towards FW cable. Any advice?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #10,199 of 12,974
Hey, made an order on feliks euforia ae, cant wait the delivery. Now Im deciding on the cable between FW Noir hybrid hpc and lavricables grand silver. Given that ae has copper occ, im little inclined towards FW cable. Any advice?
I have never heard grand silver but i guess it is pure silver thus it is a bit different to FAW noir hybrid. I have FAW noir hybrid and i am happy with it. It ultimately depends on what You want as these cables seem to give a bit different signatures. Euforia ae is not a dark amp. Probably it makes sense to wait for euforia and than decide if You want to have a bit more air/treble (lavricables) or a bit darker/warmer sound, but still detailed (FAW).

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #10,200 of 12,974
Really? I thought hd650 are relaxing HPs with rolled off treble and laid back sound. What exactly is fatiguing? I have hd600 and they seem not to be harsh at all (although meze are even smoother).
We have to understand that it is not only the high treble that is fatiguing.
And we must have a look at frequency response as a whole.
The 650 have a peak around 2-4, kHz followed by a steep roll off.
Too much energy in this region may become fatiguing for some ears and will sound out of timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back