Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 8, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #9,871 of 12,974
So I understand that the “bass and slam” on these aren’t too heavy in comparison to the lcd4, but, can’t they still get some thunder from down under going on?

will it be as much or more punch and slam than the m50x? Dumb question I know, but I enjoy listening to metal music on those because of the impact.
Bass is really good. Don't worry about that. It's definitely felt rather than heard.

Oratory EQ, alacantra pads and 1-2db added to the low end and this works for me from multiple sources.

May 8, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #9,872 of 12,974
Sure, hopefuly the increase in quality above some price limit is not really good value for money. You need just to find sweet spot. I guess this sweet spot for us having Empys is rather high anyway. Obviously it always can be better:)
To my experience the sweet spot is different to everyone. It mainly depends on budget and hearing abilities. The issues start when your hearing is better than average in the hobby but your budget is not quite there.

I think owning and being able to appreciate the Empyrean is a pretty good place to be regardless the size of budget and hearing abilities. I am happy and content even though I know there is better out there (at least technically). My present Empyrean combo is pretty much the limit of my budget for now. And you know what, I would die happily knowing this was my last headphone/amp/DAC combination.

May 8, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #9,873 of 12,974
I would add Ayon ha3 (although a bit more expensive). This was really my discovery how it pairs with Meze.

I also always wanted to try Manley.
When I was first typing that post, I had the Ayon ha3 on the list.
Then I double checked the price and removed it again.

Currently I'm interested in the McIntosh Ha200 with the Empyrean, hopefully we get some impressions on that in the future

May 8, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #9,874 of 12,974
To my experience the sweet spot is different to everyone. It mainly depends on budget and hearing abilities. The issues start when your hearing is better than average in the hobby but your budget is not quite there.

I think owning and being able to appreciate the Empyrean is a pretty good place to be regardless the size of budget and hearing abilities. I am happy and content even though I know there is better out there (at least technically). My present Empyrean combo is pretty much the limit of my budget for now. And you know what, I would die happily knowing this was my last headphone/amp/DAC combination.
Fully agree and pretty much the same with me. I am finalising my sweet spot, I have just bought Roon Nucleus and am done with choosing gear, except for some cables.

May 8, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #9,876 of 12,974
How does the Empyreans leak sound in comparison with, for example, Senn HD 800? I don't find my DT 1990 Pro so open like the HD 800, at first I had the impression that they were closed.

I think I'm done with dynamic headphones (difficult to say this in the forum :wink: ) Maybe, Z1R (upgrade to my Z7s) will be my last dynamic purchase... But I would like to try some planar headphones and I'm interested in Empys and Kennerton Rögnir (waiting for impressions about).

Right now, I'm waiting for Flux lab Volot to release and some reviews about (but I prefer reviews from "real people", you know what I mean). I am also valorating SPL Phonitor and Violectric V550.

May 8, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #9,877 of 12,974
This is interesting indeed, i have also noticed that amp. May sound good with Meze. Pitty it is hard to listen to it in Europe.
Yeah, the availability is an issue (the price as well, for europe)
Since it is very unlikely to beat my Octave V16, ordering it to test and return is too much of an effort.
However with covid and the General scarcity of McIntosh dealers in my country, there is no chance to audition it in a Shop either

May 8, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #9,878 of 12,974
How does the Empyreans leak sound in comparison with, for example, Senn HD 800? I don't find my DT 1990 Pro so open like the HD 800, at first I had the impression that they were closed.

I think I'm done with dynamic headphones (difficult to say this in the forum :wink: ) Maybe, Z1R (upgrade to my Z7s) will be my last dynamic purchase... But I would like to try some planar headphones and I'm interested in Empys and Kennerton Rögnir (waiting for impressions about).

Right now, I'm waiting for Flux lab Volot to release and some reviews about (but I prefer reviews from "real people", you know what I mean). I am also valorating SPL Phonitor and Violectric V550.
All open back headphones leak sound. That is why they are called 'open back'. If HD800 leak is 100% I would say Empyrean leak is 80%.

May 8, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #9,879 of 12,974
Yeah, the availability is an issue (the price as well, for europe)
Since it is very unlikely to beat my Octave V16, ordering it to test and return is too much of an effort.
However with covid and the General scarcity of McIntosh dealers in my country, there is no chance to audition it in a Shop either
Yes, same with Poland. I do not think it will beat Octave:) in fact Octave is one of the amps i am afraid of listening to:)

May 8, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #9,880 of 12,974
Yes, same with Poland. I do not think it will beat Octave:) in fact Octave is one of the amps i am afraid of listening to:)
I'm sure it won't beat it, it is no fair fight anyways. Totally different price Segments.

I'm just curious how the McIntosh sounds since I had the similarly priced Cayin Ha-6a not long ago.

I can only say that the Octave is well worth it, if one can afford it.
I got mine used for less than half of the retail price, otherwise it would still be a distant dteam.

May 8, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #9,881 of 12,974
I got mine used for less than half of the retail price, otherwise it would still be a distant dteam.
Pretty much the same with me with Ayon, Meze and some more gear and probably the same with many more members here buying used gear. Prices are crazy now and one can only afford second hand equipment. This forum is a good place to buy and share experiences, i think we should very much appreciate this.

Btw if You happen to find another Octave second hand offer let me know (although i am happy with what I have now:)

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #9,882 of 12,974
There’s a store nearby that carries the McIntosh headphone amp. I’m going to another dealer to return an M Scaler that I’m borrowing this weekend. If I don’t forget I can stop by and give it a listen and report back. I doubt that it will compare favorably with Dave & M Scaler, which sound fantastic together. Still, it was on my list before I bought my current gear. It could be an interesting experience. Someone who works there told me they were selling it as open box for roughly half of its retail value, which is $5000.

May 9, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #9,883 of 12,974
Sure, hopefuly the increase in quality above some price limit is not really good value for money. You need just to find sweet spot. I guess this sweet spot for us having Empys is rather high anyway. Obviously it can always be better:)
The sweet spot is the Empy, not the amp. :)
Even a Mojo delivers plenty of articulated bass.

Weird thing is, if i want a mellow and soft presentation i use the R28 as is.
For more bass definition, i do pair the Mojo with the R28 and can enjoy a different presentation of the music.

There's no need to further climb the ladder for me. :)

Listen to the music and not the gear is what makes it enjoyable, imo. :metal:

May 9, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #9,884 of 12,974
There’s a store nearby that carries the McIntosh headphone amp. I’m going to another dealer to return an M Scaler that I’m borrowing this weekend. If I don’t forget I can stop by and give it a listen and report back. I doubt that it will compare favorably with Dave & M Scaler, which sound fantastic together. Still, it was on my list before I bought my current gear. It could be an interesting experience. Someone who works there told me they were selling it as open box for roughly half of its retail value, which is $5000.
From your description it seems like you're talking about the MHA150.

We we're interested in the new MHA 200 tube amp though (2500$)

I mean, we wouldn't mind mha150 impressions either, but the last few posts were about the new kid on the Block

May 9, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #9,885 of 12,974
Ah, my mistake. That one looked rather tempting also. I’ll see if they have it in stock.

update: Strangely enough, they don’t seem to carry that brand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back