Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 5, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #8,206 of 12,974
Not a lot, now 3 hours
When listening to neon pattern drum by jon hopkins the difference is huge i am afraid. The empyreans sound thinner also with regards to the bass. Actually they sound great but when i put on the same track and then the utopia the difference is huge. It is a very punishing recording and especially the sound from 50 seconds to 1.45 is worlds apart...really bummed because i bought them to get a fuller sound, more bass rich sound, they struggle with that part, if you listen to that same part with utopias (and same arche) the depth and fullness of sound is a lot richer on utopia, there really is depth to the sound, a 3 dimensionality thats not there with empy.
I thought empys did not need break in? Anyways not unhappy at all, still great sounding and i would not have known if you listen to the same song back to back on different phones, still thought my experience would be the other way around
My Empys improved out to 200 hours.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #8,207 of 12,974
Got the empyreans and quite happy with them, beautifully made, nice fit. Bit surprised because compared with the utopias there is a small but noticable difference: bass is more defined and tight on utopia, more impactfull, details are a lot easier to hear on utopia. Not to say empy is not great sounding, it is but i did not expect this difference. Vocals are more "centered" and elaborate on the empy.
This is with the stock balanced cables. I will test my 4.4 balanced silver meze cable when the kann alpha arrives. Wonder how the will sound then.
Again happy but a bit surprised especially regarding the bass

Cheers

That's actually quite correct if you're comparing to Utopia with regards to making out detail. Also, Utopia bass is super punchy; that beryllium driver can really move the air! Empy has some low end and mid bass thickness but this gets better (I felt the empy only shined after 2 to 300 hrs). It can be remedied with some EQ. what pads are you using?

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #8,208 of 12,974
That's actually quite correct if you're comparing to Utopia with regards to making out detail. Also, Utopia bass is super punchy; that beryllium driver can really move the air! Empy has some low end and mid bass thickness but this gets better (I felt the empy only shined after 2 to 300 hrs). It can be remedied with some EQ. what pads are you using?

I am using the leather pads. This is funny sounds like i do not like the empyreans, i do, the sound is beautifull. But after doing some research, listening to them myself (not my own stuff, but in store) and reading about them, the last thing i expected was that the utopia bass would "outshine" empy. Anyways back to listening :)

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #8,209 of 12,974
I experience Empyrean bass in a different way than the one you describe.
It is visceral , highly dynamic and tight.
Haven't heard anything - including Utopia - to touch them.
May be the Abyss but never heard it.
They need more than 100 hours to break in.
And I don't know about the Arche.
I am reading that is tailored to the Focal and not a good match with other headphones.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #8,210 of 12,974
I am using the leather pads. This is funny sounds like i do not like the empyreans, i do, the sound is beautifull. But after doing some research, listening to them myself (not my own stuff, but in store) and reading about them, the last thing i expected was that the utopia bass would "outshine" empy. Anyways back to listening :)
2000per hour the above 👍

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #8,211 of 12,974
I am reading that is tailored to the Focal and not a good match with other headphones.

I dont think its the arche. In a few days i will get the kann alpha, curious how they will sound with the alpha

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #8,212 of 12,974
Not a lot, now 3 hours
When listening to neon pattern drum by jon hopkins the difference is huge i am afraid. The empyreans sound thinner also with regards to the bass. Actually they sound great but when i put on the same track and then the utopia the difference is huge. It is a very punishing recording and especially the sound from 50 seconds to 1.45 is worlds apart...really bummed because i bought them to get a fuller sound, more bass rich sound, they struggle with that part, if you listen to that same part with utopias (and same arche) the depth and fullness of sound is a lot richer on utopia, there really is depth to the sound, a 3 dimensionality thats not there with empy.
I thought empys did not need break in? Anyways not unhappy at all, still great sounding and i would not have known if you listen to the same song back to back on different phones, still thought my experience would be the other way around
Are they “New”? If they are you have to break them in. There bass is very good and hits hard. But you have at least 200 more hours to go If purchased new.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #8,216 of 12,974

The Arche can be configured outside of the Focal product range.
You have two options to set the amplifier : Voltage or Hybrid (excluding the Utopia, Stellia, etc presets)
I am running the Arche on non Focal products : Two Denon headphones and 1 Senn HD 650 and they shine exceptionally well.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #8,217 of 12,974

Speaking strictly for myself, my take on the Empyreans, which I use with my A&K Kann Alpha, is that they excel in many areas, in fact, most areas.

I would say that, for the bass area, that it is merely not the Empyrean's strength, but it is more than adequate.

Put it another way, one would not likely say that the Empyrean's bass is their #1 attribute, and the raison d'etre for buying them.

Yet, the 30 Hz to 120 Hz region is not a weakness (for me). It is merely not their best strength.

Taken as a whole, the Empyreans do so many things so well, that I consider them to be an outstanding, non-fatiguing, highly musical, enjoyable, comfortable pair of headphones. Well done!

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #8,218 of 12,974
Not a lot, now 3 hours
Few Items to note:

Listening to the track (cool track by the way) you referenced on mine, which are more than a year old, the sound rolls outward until 1:22 then back in til 1:40. Certainly layers are taking place in depth and width. I'd contribute the Utopia sounding better due to synergy with the Arche, a bit more sensitivity than the Empyreans, and break in. The Utopias are considered TOTL in detail retrieval and this track certainly pushes depth portrayal.

I really think they took more than 3 hours to sounds their best. I don't have an accurate number and I've seen at least one person recently mention a year. I've upgraded equipment over my time with them so I can't say how long it took for mine to really shine.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #8,219 of 12,974
Speaking strictly for myself, my take on the Empyreans, which I use with my A&K Kann Alpha, is that they excel in many areas, in fact, most areas.

I would say that, for the bass area, that it is merely not the Empyrean's strength, but it is more than adequate.

Put it another way, one would not likely say that the Empyrean's bass is their #1 attribute, and the raison d'etre for buying them.

Yet, the 30 Hz to 120 Hz region is not a weakness (for me). It is merely not their best strength.

Taken as a whole, the Empyreans do so many things so well, that I consider them to be an outstanding, non-fatiguing, highly musical, enjoyable, comfortable pair of headphones. Well done!

Well, i generally like the Utopias and knew that detail retrieval is one of their strengths so did not expect them to be surpassed on that front by other headphones. I was on the lookout for a better bass performance. I already heard the LCD4, LCD3 and LCD2 and while i liked them i found them a little too dull sounding. I then found out about the empyrean and there are a lot of remarks that it handles bass better than the Utopia and has a lively warmer sound. It is definitely warmer and maybe a little bit easier for longer listening, not sure about them being more lively, but sofar in bass they seem a little less performing than Utopia. Anyways i will give them more time and good to know they do fine with Kann Alpha

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #8,220 of 12,974
empyrean breakthrough It takes longer for the next generation to be difficult
empyrean Very sensitive to amplifier Good or bad is easy to reflect Giving him a stronger flagship will only show more advanced performance
I groped for more than a year and never felt its limit Keep exploring

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back