Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 8, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #7,967 of 12,974
Guys I love the clarity, detail and space of the HD800S. But I also love the rich midrange, bass and romantic reverb of the ZMF Atticus. I always wanted a perfect blend of these 2 sounds. ZMF Auteur wasn't quite it. Would the Empyrean be the answer you think ? (don't worry I won't buy until I can hear it)
I would suggest to try it verite Open or closed with softer wood for reverb to find this blend. Empyrean may not be what you see looking for.

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #7,968 of 12,974
Umm, not going to get into a flame war - although a few posters are inviting one. IMO the Emp can be a little rough up top, and also in complex passages tends to homogenize details. Bass Q seems too large at times also. I might be able to still the bass Q with damping, but not sure I can fix the treble to satisfy ME.

So, again I'm looking for feedback re EQ, not fighting with fans that take affront.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #7,969 of 12,974
I personally found the bottom end a little too loose or too much (from memory) with my iha6 and did not buy the empys

Later with a demo with my taurus, I bought the empys and it was fine. Fine with my v280 too.

so maybe it depends on amps and maybe it is a litlle picky like a lot of headphones

never had a problem with the top end personally. Never.

bought a norne silver draug cable and i boost around 1khz about 4db (3-6db). That does it for me.

that’s my take on it with my gear

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #7,970 of 12,974
Umm, not going to get into a flame war - although a few posters are inviting one. IMO the Emp can be a little rough up top, and also in complex passages tends to homogenize details. Bass Q seems too large at times also. I might be able to still the bass Q with damping, but not sure I can fix the treble to satisfy ME.

So, again I'm looking for feedback re EQ, not fighting with fans that take affront.

The Meze Silver upgrade cable makes a big difference to the bass and highs. Smoother detailed highs and nicely controlled tight bass. While I could live with the standard cable it was a little on the warm side for me. That was on a Aries G1, MScaler and TT2.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #7,971 of 12,974
The Meze Silver upgrade cable makes a big difference to the bass and highs. Smoother detailed highs and nicely controlled tight bass. While I could live with the standard cable it was a little on the warm side for me. That was on a Aries G1, MScaler and TT2.
Also, the Arctic Cable Palladium Series “accelerates” the Empyreans and slightly dials downs the warmth.

Nov 8, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #7,972 of 12,974

If you feel that way about the Emp, why not look elsewhere for a headphone that fits your tastes? Curious as to why you want to see if you can “fix” the EMP to your taste? Is there a special reason why you want to work with the EMP?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #7,973 of 12,974
If you feel that way about the Emp, why not look elsewhere for a headphone that fits your tastes? Curious as to why you want to see if you can “fix” the EMP to your taste? Is these a special reason why you want to work with the EMP?

Should I have gotten on my knees and sworn eternal fealty to them first to be allowed to ask questions and make observations here? I cite a few minor/medium issues on a brief listen on unfamiliar gear with them and I'm automatically unwashed scum? They are clearly one of the 7 best headphones I've heard, that makes them good enough to consider seriously IMO. Is that enough for you, self appointed Prince of the Emp?

Maybe the stench of arrogance is enough to avoid these, and their adherents.

Nov 8, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #7,974 of 12,974
Guys I love the clarity, detail and space of the HD800S. But I also love the rich midrange, bass and romantic reverb of the ZMF Atticus...
Empyrean is far away from the HD-800 ‘...clarity, detail and space...’ I’m not kicking Empyrean here, but it has a full, thick, lush sound and a (relatively) compressed, dense headstage. You’ll immediately notice this difference, more than any other differences in (say) tonality or detail.
...I always wanted a perfect blend of these 2 sounds. ZMF Auteur wasn't quite it.
What do you mean ‘...Auteur wasn’t quite it...’ — of course it was, well to my ears anyway :)

Seriously, what was missing for you from Auteur? This will help us provide more accurate recommendations.

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #7,975 of 12,974
So HE1000SE is a clear step above Empyrean ?
To be clear, I owned and sold Empy, and upgraded from HEKv2 to HEKse which are in my troika (plus 1) of favorites (Utopia, HEKse, Auteur, Hedd).

That said, I would answer that question with a very qualified ‘yes, sorta, it depends’.

If your most important criteria are clean, detailed highs and an big, open, airy headstage, then sure, HEK wins. And I hear HEKse’s bass as cleaner/more linear and (perhaps) more extended. But Empy has other characteristics which a listener might value more — warmth, ‘fullness’, and a lush, enveloping headstage.

I ended up selling my Empy when I preferred RAD-0 and felt like Empy’s ‘warmth’ cost a bit too much in upper-bass/low mids clarity, and preferred a more open headstage.

Amusingly, I’ve since sold RAD-0 as Heddphone pushed them out in the same way RAD-0 drove Empy out.

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #7,976 of 12,974
Should I have gotten on my knees and sworn eternal fealty to them first to be allowed to ask questions and make observations here? I cite a few minor/medium issues on a brief listen on unfamiliar gear with them and I'm automatically unwashed scum? They are clearly one of the 7 best headphones I've heard, that makes them good enough to consider seriously IMO. Is that enough for you, self appointed Prince of the Emp?

Maybe the stench of arrogance is enough to avoid these, and their adherents.
IMHO It’s not unreasonable to ask what you like enough about Empy to make it worth the effort. I was asked nearly the same question on the Utopia thread when I was poking around, trying to ‘fix’ their sound (for my ears).

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #7,977 of 12,974
IMHO It’s not unreasonable to ask what you like enough about Empy to make it worth the effort. I was asked nearly the same question on the Utopia thread when I was poking around, trying to ‘fix’ their sound (for my ears).

I don't like the Utopia either. Like I said I like the Emp a lot, and since its been around for a bit I might be able to get one used for a lot less than an open box Susvara (~$3800). I do like the E2 bass better than the Emp, but the E2 isn't as coherent. The E2 is also a bit too self effacing in the treble. Love the 007 and Voce, but don't have the money for the amp that they demand. Like the LCD-4 but it lacks technicals and has an alarming history of going dead. Arya is nice w/ s twist of hot sauce, but its not in the class of the Emp, or the others. HEKse might be the answer if there were no Susvara, and used the prices are coming down. I'd like to spend $2400 say and not have much in the way of compromises or tweeks needed. So do others I'm sure. An 800S on a OTL amp might wedge its way into the group, but not on SS amps.

I like my modded HE-500 on Rag 1 and HD-600 on BHC for the euphonic side. I've got a HE-6se which is quite good, but has basically no headstage. So yes, a technical can with transparancy, tight impactful bass, wide open and transparent mids, and a non annoying treble that is technical and able to show correct overtones/decay/micro details. Susvara at this point seems closest if I had lay down the money. Mids are my key, then treble, no basshead, and I have the BHC/600 to give the organic long decay sound. It's the profile of a guy that grew up with Quad ESL-57's in the house, and the BSO 9 miles down the road.

Now, I'm happy to get help and advice, but I do not think I need a further passport to be here than what I've written.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #7,978 of 12,974
I don't like the Utopia either. Like I said I like the Emp a lot, and since its been around for a bit I might be able to get one used for a lot less than an open box Susvara (~$3800). I do like the E2 bass better than the Emp, but the E2 isn't as coherent. The E2 is also a bit too self effacing in the treble. Love the 007 and Voce, but don't have the money for the amp that they demand. Like the LCD-4 but it lacks technicals and has an alarming history of going dead. Arya is nice w/ s twist of hot sauce, but its not in the class of the Emp, or the others. HEKse might be the answer if there were no Susvara, and used the prices are coming down. I'd like to spend $2400 say and not have much in the way of compromises or tweeks needed. So do others I'm sure. An 800S on a OTL amp might wedge its way into the group, but not on SS amps.

I like my modded HE-500 on Rag 1 and HD-600 on BHC for the euphonic side. I've got a HE-6se which is quite good, but has basically no headstage. So yes, a technical can with transparancy, tight impactful bass, wide open and transparent mids, and a non annoying treble that is technical and able to show correct overtones/decay/micro details. Susvara at this point seems closest if I had lay down the money. Mids are my key, then treble, no basshead, and I have the BHC/600 to give the organic long decay sound. It's the profile of a guy that grew up with Quad ESL-57's in the house, and the BSO 9 miles down the road.

Now, I'm happy to get help and advice, but I do not think I need a further passport to be here than what I've written.
Amusingly, I did end up ‘fixing’ Utopia :)

Also funny that your hear Emp as having more coherent bass than E2. I might have said the same from my BHA-1, but not from my LP & DSHA-3F. Absolutely agree with the sentiment behind your ‘self-effacing treble’ comment — that’s why they are my ‘go-to-sleep’ cans.

HEKse adds enough ‘fullness’ vs HEKv2 sound that it might be close to ‘just right’ for you.

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #7,979 of 12,974
To be clear, I owned and sold Empy, and upgraded from HEKv2 to HEKse which are in my troika (plus 1) of favorites (Utopia, HEKse, Auteur, Hedd).

That said, I would answer that question with a very qualified ‘yes, sorta, it depends’.

If your most important criteria are clean, detailed highs and an big, open, airy headstage, then sure, HEK wins. And I hear HEKse’s bass as cleaner/more linear and (perhaps) more extended. But Empy has other characteristics which a listener might value more — warmth, ‘fullness’, and a lush, enveloping headstage.

I ended up selling my Empy when I preferred RAD-0 and felt like Empy’s ‘warmth’ cost a bit too much in upper-bass/low mids clarity, and preferred a more open headstage.

Amusingly, I’ve since sold RAD-0 as Heddphone pushed them out in the same way RAD-0 drove Empy out.

What about HEDD vs HE1000se ? Also isn't hedd just too uncomfortable?

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #7,980 of 12,974
Amusingly, I did end up ‘fixing’ Utopia :)

Also funny that your hear Emp as having more coherent bass than E2. I might have said the same from my BHA-1, but not from my LP & DSHA-3F. Absolutely agree with the sentiment behind your ‘self-effacing treble’ comment — that’s why they are my ‘go-to-sleep’ cans.

HEKse adds enough ‘fullness’ vs HEKv2 sound that it might be close to ‘just right’ for you.

Miswrote it seems. E2 bass is better than EMP IMO, then I meant to go on: Emp is more coherent overall - to me that's roughly 150 Hz - 2kHz (my own bias). EMP has a great midrange, no question. E2 treble down slant can probably be controlled via EQ w/o much trouble. I use the HEX v2 which is a less technical can in the same sound "branch" as the E2, and needs some EQ to waken the upper mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back