Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 1, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #6,602 of 12,974
Hmm.. tempting. Any Goldilocks metaphors?
is what I'm thinking. Not interested in Utopia as I have Elex, interested in something I can listen to for hours on end without fatigue..

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #6,603 of 12,974
is what I'm thinking. Not interested in Utopia as I have Elex, interested in something I can listen to for hours on end without fatigue..

I have been listening to the Empy for hours, usually from 9PM - 1AM+ and I do not get fatigued. Now I am not cranking it but it is at a good sound level. I just finished Prince's 3121 album and I played it a little louder than normal, because I like it a lot. I was expecting to have some fatigue but even with the drums pounding, and the singers screaming, this loud album was great through the headphones.

I was reluctant to get into headphones because I used to get fatigued a lot in the past with headphones. However today, the only way I can listen to music at a decent volume while I work late at night now is via headphones. The Empy was a great choice for this and it also sounds great.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #6,605 of 12,974
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #6,606 of 12,974
For regular use, you don't have to worry about dust protection because you are wearing it on your head and have a reasonable seal to stop the dust getting into the earpad.

For long term storage, it depends. We don't anticipate any problem with regular household environment, but if want you live in a fairly dusty environment, long term exposure might be a hassle. In fact we have anticipated the worst condition and that's why we custom-designed the suitcase style storage case for Empyrean.

Worse case scenario when dust and dry skin get into the drivers, what is the best method to clean them? Lay it face down and play high volume music to shake off the dust?

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #6,608 of 12,974
I am looking for a second headphone amp for my Empy. I like to use them in another room, However, as I was research equipment I came across the following portable headphone player,

https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/ne...n-kann-high-resolution-audio-player-kann-cube

Is this something that works well with the Empy? I have about 500 GB of FLAC files but I really want Qobuz and Tidal support which this also seems to have. I figure a portable device will allow me to listen anywhere such as in my backyard while I work.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #6,609 of 12,974
Yay! After many many hours of reading I will finally be ordering my Empy with the 3m 6.3mm cable! I will pair it with RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Could take a month for shipment but that's fine! Hoping to find a used 3.5mm silver cable in the mean time.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #6,610 of 12,974
Yay! After many many hours of reading I will finally be ordering my Empy with the 3m 6.3mm cable! I will pair it with RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Could take a month for shipment but that's fine! Hoping to find a used 3.5mm silver cable in the mean time.
Congrats in advance. :)

I'm torn between the Empy, Heddphone, Rad-0 and LSA HP-1 now. :deadhorse:

Edit:
Forgot to add the Klipsch HP-3. ^^

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #6,611 of 12,974
I am looking for a second headphone amp for my Empy. I like to use them in another room, However, as I was research equipment I came across the following portable headphone player,

https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/ne...n-kann-high-resolution-audio-player-kann-cube

Is this something that works well with the Empy? I have about 500 GB of FLAC files but I really want Qobuz and Tidal support which this also seems to have. I figure a portable device will allow me to listen anywhere such as in my backyard while I work.

I'm a big fan of the Shanling DAPs, so my natural inclination is to go with the M6 Pro, At the price for the A&K, your options open up. I feel like DAP purchases are just as much about sound quality as they are about other things, like user experience (which encompasses a lot of different sub-areas). Sound wise, in the case of the Empyrean, going with a neutral, smooth, detailed DAP might be the best pairing since the headphones offers warmth and body but not as much detail as its competitors, and you don't need to worry about insufficient power. If the A&K offers that in a form factor you like, then go for it!

Jun 3, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #6,612 of 12,974

Perfect pairing :L3000:
1591221443431__MG_7722.JPG

So you can carry it even to the backyard :relaxed:

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #6,613 of 12,974

For me the empy and kann cube is a little too warm. i enjoy the kann cube with my utopias but not the empy.
that’s how i find it. Ymmv

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #6,614 of 12,974
anyone try the meze silver plated upgrade cable with the empy?

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #6,615 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back