Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 13, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #6,481 of 12,974
Recently, I just had a chance to join a loan tour Meze Empyrean and here is my first impression.
The loan unit I received was directly from Meze and they are NIB. The brand new Empyrean does need some burn-in time, Andy suggested me to burn them in for about 100 hrs. Initially, they are a bit stiff in the treble, but after the 100 hr burn-in, the treble is rather beautiful.
Here are some pros and cons of Empyrean IMO:
Pros
1. King of vocal and mid. I have compared Empyrean with 1266TC, Susvara, D8000 pro, Utopia, and Thror. None of these can beat the vocal performance of Empyrean. The vocal from Empyrean is so romantic. Full of details and extremely smooth.
2. Very unique tonality, warm but detailed. Empyrean is a warm and natural headphone that's for sure. However, as a warm headphone, the details and resolution do not fall short. I can pick up most of the details I have got from Susvara and TC.
3. Extremely comfortable fit. Ultimately, this is the key point makes me want to make a purchase. Compare with those headphones I mentioned above, the comfort of Empyrean is absolutely fantastic. I can easily wear them for 8 hr+, there is no other headphones can stay on my head for that long.
Cons
1. Transparency is not the top of the industry. Also compare with those headphones, Empyrean seems to be the least transparent headphones.
2. Bass is too much and a bit soft. For some tracks, I feel the bass quantity is out of control, and meanwhile, I hope the bass could be tighter.

I will write a full review of Empyrean in the next couple of days. If you have any questions about Empyrean, please feel free to PM me.

Thank you Leo for your initial impression, it is very positive start, let's hope the tour unit will get better down the road.

Which are your main headphone cable during your audition? The Silver Plated XLR4? or the Copper 6.35mm? Bass control can be fine tuned by headphone cable, it won't make a complete different but minor enhancement is within reach.

If you want to enhance the transparency, one quick option is to replace the 6SN7 of your tube headphone amplifier to something more sparkling on the top end. Not an option for a tour audition, but in case you'll acquire a pair of Empyrean down the road. :beerchug: :o2smile:

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
May 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #6,483 of 12,974
I recently fell back, pretty hard, into this hobby and wanted to say the Empyreans are a great way to fall of the horse. I started with a Chord Mojo, but then moved to a matrix audio element X as my DAC/Headphone amp. It sounded great as-is, but then I got an GSX MK2 and it sounds perfect now. The elementX by itself was a bit more airy but isn't as "meaty" as the GSX. The GSX just adds a more satisfying experience for me.

What I really like about the Empy is how light they are. After awhile they disappear and I'm just listening to the music. I'm very happy to be lucky enough to have this setup while I start chasing the next big thing! I'm in trouble now!

Amusing! Empy is about 2 ounces lighter than Utopia, and I frequently see/hear complaints about Utopia's weight.

I don't think it's the weight. I think they just nailed the build -- headband, strap, pads -- everything conspires to make them seem light.

Of course, compared to my RAD-0 & Auteur they are VERY light :)

The GS-X2 is a wonderful headphone amplifier, refined with excellent transient, I have a lot of hope in this combo.

@LCMusicLover raised a very good point, its ergonomic and weight distribution that matters.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
May 13, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #6,485 of 12,974
I wonder if we'll get a baby Empyrean at a price like €999...
Ha, if you listen to a lot of the detractors, they think the Empyrean should really only cost $999.

May 14, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #6,486 of 12,974
So I joined the family :)

It took me some time to get used to Meze sound. But from the beginning.
I've always liked planar thick sound. Dynamic headphones were to thin sounding weren't so velvet so palpate especially in the mid range.
After owning Audeze lcd-xc I wanted something more open sounding and also with less brittle highs. The choice was to buy Meze Empyrean. It was a semi blind choice. I've never heard them before, decission was made based on internet reviews and @Ragnar-BY opinion - since we have similar system.
So like two weeks ago I had received the package. First like 30 minutes of listening and I'm thinking OMG I love them.
Sound is smooth, warmish but still not like highs are much rolled off or something. Bass is strong, not as strong doesn't have that power that kick as audeze headphones but ye I like it.
Build quality is the best from every headphone that I had my hands on. Some time ago I was listening to Hifiman Susvara - these are like 6k$ and the built quality is nowhere close to Meze. It's really something different. I don't think there are such quality made headphones in the world. It's different, quality of build, the machining the precise fit of every part - they look like lewellery or nice watch. I often don't care that much when it comes to look of the unit. Comfort and sound quality is what matter the most for me.
But with Meze - even if you don't care about such things (like me) you will still immediately notice the quality. Bravo Meze.

But there is the time when honey time period has ended. After listening to couple of days (at that time I was using meze with mojo + m scaler - as my TT2 was on warranty repair) I started to having big head fatigue and ear fatigue.
And the fatigue was really really big. I didn't experienced such head and ear pain even with ultra bright and thin Sennheiser HD 700 !

I thought ok, let's wait. Meze energy in bass is focused on mid region Mojo has similar mid vocal/mid bas, mellow sound presentation. That's probably not the best match so let's wait for my TT2 to be back.
With TT2 situation was better. Bass wasn't so exhausting, sound wasn't congested and clarity was better.

But as you guess I still was getting head/ear pains.
I really don't know why. I must be sensitive to some mid bass frequencies. I love bass but some frequencies that were boosted in Meze caused this like ear ringing.
It's the same thing when you have harsh treble in headphones - you feel this almost like ringing piercing sound/pain.
Maybe it's also because of music which I listen to. I listen mainly to rock, acoustic music. And in thbat kind of music there is a lost of resonance from acoustic guitar etc.
And with Meze issue was similar but with bass. I couldn't listen to music for more like 1 hour. I was tired as I would ran marathon.

I tried alcantara pads. It helped much. But they lost their magic a bit. And with alcantara sound was a bit boring. So they were not for me.
I was a bit upset about the whole situation and I started to thinking about selling them. But I deiced to give them even more time.

And you know what ? My brain/ears adjusted. I'm not having issues anymore. Occasionally on some tracks still mid bass hump is just a bit too much, also clarity in this lower region could be better.
Anyway I'm pretty happy with them now :). Fatigues are gone, finally I can listen to music at high volume - not possible with this all "high-end" headphones as treble will kill you.
Also I can finally listen to music that is not so well recorded. So I returned to many of "my" old pieces which were amazing music but bad recordings.

Anyway I've heard that Meze is working on some new pads for Empys to tame down mid bass ? @MezeTeam could you confirm ?
I can be your beta tester if you want :xf_wink:

One more question to other meze users. Which cable would you recommend to bring clarity a bit ? Pure silver ? What about silver plated OCC ? Any words would be appreciated.

Quite a journey before you reach paradise. :o2smile:

Our primarily objective is to enhance the music appreciation experience of our users, and from what you have shared, this is working very well.

We are working on a new set of Empyrean pad, will keep the community informed when we finalized our design.

May 14, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #6,487 of 12,974
Quite a journey before you reach paradise. :o2smile:

Our primarily objective is to enhance the music appreciation experience of our users, and from what you have shared, this is working very well.

We are working on a new set of Empyrean pad, will keep the community informed when we finalized our design.
I will buy an empyrean later this year, I wonder if there will be a bundle with all pads

May 14, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #6,488 of 12,974
Ha, if you listen to a lot of the detractors, they think the Empyrean should really only cost $999.

When I consider the technology of the driver, the quality of materials and the price of rivals, I think Empyrean deserves its price. Especially considering how efficient it is... The only other headphone that is as interesting is Final D8000. However, I don't want to pay so much for a headphone yet so I'm hoping either company makes a baby version. :D Then again you never know, I might just decide to buy it one day.

May 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #6,489 of 12,974
When I consider the technology of the driver, the quality of materials and the price of rivals, I think Empyrean deserves its price. Especially considering how efficient it is... The only other headphone that is as interesting is Final D8000. However, I don't want to pay so much for a headphone yet so I'm hoping either company makes a baby version. :D Then again you never know, I might just decide to buy it one day.
I've had the Meze for one day and the quality of the build, the design, the materials are all worthy of the $3000 asking price. The total package is absolutely worth $3000.

May 14, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #6,490 of 12,974
Recently, I just had a chance to join a loan tour Meze Empyrean and here is my first impression.
The loan unit I received was directly from Meze and they are NIB. The brand new Empyrean does need some burn-in time, Andy suggested me to burn them in for about 100 hrs. Initially, they are a bit stiff in the treble, but after the 100 hr burn-in, the treble is rather beautiful.
Here are some pros and cons of Empyrean IMO:
Pros
1. King of vocal and mid. I have compared Empyrean with 1266TC, Susvara, D8000 pro, Utopia, and Thror. None of these can beat the vocal performance of Empyrean. The vocal from Empyrean is so romantic. Full of details and extremely smooth.
2. Very unique tonality, warm but detailed. Empyrean is a warm and natural headphone that's for sure. However, as a warm headphone, the details and resolution do not fall short. I can pick up most of the details I have got from Susvara and TC.
3. Extremely comfortable fit. Ultimately, this is the key point makes me want to make a purchase. Compare with those headphones I mentioned above, the comfort of Empyrean is absolutely fantastic. I can easily wear them for 8 hr+, there is no other headphones can stay on my head for that long.
Cons
1. Transparency is not the top of the industry. Also compare with those headphones, Empyrean seems to be the least transparent headphones.
2. Bass is too much and a bit soft. For some tracks, I feel the bass quantity is out of control, and meanwhile, I hope the bass could be tighter.

I will write a full review of Empyrean in the next couple of days. If you have any questions about Empyrean, please feel free to PM me.

I agree with each point of your assessment. These however might also be the most comfortable (weight and materials) TOTL headphone out there.

May 14, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #6,491 of 12,974
Hi All,

This is my first post on here.

I ordered the Benchmark HPA4 a few days ago since I needed a 2 channel preamp. I was going to get the non-headphone amp version , LA4, but decided to spend the extra $500 for the HPA4.

So after some Covaid pandemic based research I have decided to get the Meze Empyrean. This will be my first headphone since about 10 years ago, a Senhieser HD600 (sp?) which I did not like and gave away. My question here is regarding the cable that is used by folks here. Is the stock cable good enough, if not what are people using?

May 14, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #6,492 of 12,974
Hi All,

This is my first post on here.

I ordered the Benchmark HPA4 a few days ago since I needed a 2 channel preamp. I was going to get the non-headphone amp version , LA4, but decided to spend the extra $500 for the HPA4.

So after some Covaid pandemic based research I have decided to get the Meze Empyrean. This will be my first headphone since about 10 years ago, a Senhieser HD600 (sp?) which I did not like and gave away. My question here is regarding the cable that is used by folks here. Is the stock cable good enough, if not what are people using?
The cable is quite good.
A lot of users like a silver cable, or copper silver Fusion cables, to get more energy in the treble.

As a sort of slight sound tuning similar to the Pad change.

May 14, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #6,493 of 12,974
Good to hear that the stock is good. My HPA4 and the DAC3B that I just purchased may not play nice with silver. I will give the HP's 200 hours before I make any judgement, but it is nice to hear that the stock cable is decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back