Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 1, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,436 of 12,974
You probably expected this follow up question:

Why do you prefer the Empyrean, especially compared to the LCD-4

Yeah, I am just feeling lazy. The HiFiMan is super detailed and transparent of course, but a little too airy and light/bright in tone for my tastes. Also harder to drive. I need a lower 'centre of gravity.' The LCD4 is very flat, but a bit too polite for my tastes, while yet being a bit 'shouty' in the midrange. Also not easy to drive. But warm and detailed. Both are pretty special, pretty excellent, but I prefer the Empyrean: it does have a slight? mid-bass bump that I find is just right, while being otherwise pretty linear. Beautifully low distortion, and a kind of 'dark hued' transparency like the LCD4. (But I don't find the treble lacking at all, especially for my preferences). Someone described the Empyrean as a kind of next level/perfected Sennheiser HD650-- I think that's a good description.

May 1, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #6,438 of 12,974
Yeah, I am just feeling lazy. The HiFiMan is super detailed and transparent of course, but a little too airy and light/bright in tone for my tastes. Also harder to drive. I need a lower 'centre of gravity.' The LCD4 is very flat, but a bit too polite for my tastes, while yet being a bit 'shouty' in the midrange. Also not easy to drive. But warm and detailed. Both are pretty special, pretty excellent, but I prefer the Empyrean: it does have a slight? mid-bass bump that I find is just right, while being otherwise pretty linear. Beautifully low distortion, and a kind of 'dark hued' transparency like the LCD4. (But I don't find the treble lacking at all, especially for my preferences). Someone described the Empyrean as a kind of next level/perfected Sennheiser HD650-- I think that's a good description.
Thx for the insights

May 1, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #6,439 of 12,974
I have seen more than five different frequency response measurements and can't detect any mid bass hump at all.
Can you all please point us were is the midbass hump?

Huh. Well, in comparison to say the LCD4, I hear that sonic region as a touch more pronounced, punchy. The LCD4 in contrast sounds even more linear/flat, and probably deeper in extension (but some complain of the treble dip. Not me). Just going by ears, and owning the different headphones. Actually I should emphasize that the Empyrean and LCD4 are really in the same ballpark, the same league.

May 1, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #6,440 of 12,974
I have seen more than five different frequency response measurements and can't detect any mid bass hump at all.
Can you all please point us were is the midbass hump?

cant really show you but I definitely hear it, it's annoying as hell! the lower freq seems to be more boosted in comparison to susvara or HEKSE. I guess if you love bass then it wont bother you but I like natural quick bass.

May 1, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #6,442 of 12,974
cant really show you but I definitely hear it, it's annoying as hell! the lower freq seems to be more boosted in comparison to susvara or HEKSE. I guess if you love bass then it wont bother you but I like natural quick bass.
I wouldn't call it a 'hump', but Empy bass definitely has a slight mid-bass emphasis. Coming from Audeze ruler flat bass it is pretty obvious. I think there is an agreement that LCD4 bass is 'higher quality' than Empy bass. LCD4 reaches lower and it has a slightly clearer, more layered bass presentation. Empy bass is still absolutely awesome, but it is slightly more 'romantic' compared to the traditional flat TOTL planar bass. Where Empy spanks the LCD4 and some other flagships is the beautiful, natural and lifelike mids, lifelike treble. Also that natural openness in the upper-mids/treble with the perfect instrument placement is something to die for. I am a hardcore bass connoisseur but even I was won over by the Empy versus the LCD4.
That said the Final D8000 picked my interest recently. Any first hand comparisons out there?

May 1, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #6,443 of 12,974
I am pretty sure that this will be one more reason why I will prefer them over other TOTLs

Glad that someone created a flagship with a "fun" tuning instead of totally linear

May 1, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #6,444 of 12,974
I think Empyrean doesn't really excel over other flagships in any aspect of sound. Neutral, Utopia does it better. Treble, Hifiman does it better. Mids, Verite does it better. Bass, LCD4/Abyss does it better. Resolution, they all do it better. Not sure where that leaves Empy. It sounds fine but no wow factor anywhere. It's like the missionary position of headphones.

May 1, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #6,447 of 12,974
I think Empyrean doesn't really excel over other flagships in any aspect of sound. Neutral, Utopia does it better. Treble, Hifiman does it better. Mids, Verite does it better. Bass, LCD4/Abyss does it better. Resolution, they all do it better. Not sure where that leaves Empy. It sounds fine but no wow factor anywhere. It's like the missionary position of headphones.
Missionary position sounds boring. Empy is anything but boring. Yes, perhaps the Empy doesn't excel in certain technicalities compared to other flagships, but as a whole package it does excel! Lifetime durable (and beautiful) design, best comfort ever, and a laid back, musical sound which is just a tad behind of the technicalities of some other flagships. And I think the price versus other flagship prices reflects this. Where the Empy excels is pure musical enjoyment with a smooth, liquid and unobtrusive sound.

May 1, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #6,448 of 12,974
Missionary position sounds boring. Empy is anything but boring. Yes, perhaps the Empy doesn't excel in certain technicalities compared to other flagships, but as a whole package it does excel! Lifetime durable (and beautiful) design, best comfort ever, and a laid back, musical sound which is just a tad behind of the technicalities of some other flagships. And I think the price versus other flagship prices reflects this. Where the Empy excels is pure musical enjoyment with a smooth, liquid and unobtrusive sound.

Agree it does have an elegant design and easy to listen to sound. Darko seems to love the Empyrean.

May 1, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #6,450 of 12,974
What kind of limits are people generally finding for pairing the Empy when it comes to warmth, by tube amps or warm SS amps?
I have my eye on the Liquid Gold x and Cayin HA-6A to pair with the Empyrean, Arya, k 712 and 6xx.
I tend to like warmth, the Arya with 789 is pushing my limits on brightness without exceeding, but it would be a shame if those two amps I mentioned "slowed" the Empy too much.

I also had the LCD-4 and am happy seeing the impressions above. The 4 is overall my favorite tonality to date, but that weight/comfort didn't do well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back