Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 5, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #6,077 of 12,974
How hard are these to drive? I'm hearing contradicting claims.
Pretty easy, way easier than your HEKse (or my HEKv2). Not as easy as Utopia, but definitely closer to that end of the ‘drive-ability’ spectrum.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #6,078 of 12,974
Is there a big difference between the Hugo2 and the TT2, in your opinion?
It's huge. TT2 is a better DAC, so it gives more details, better soundstage and more realistic sound overall. But it is also much better performer when it comes to driving headphones directly. More weight, more punch, better attacks, longer decays. All in all TT2 is at another level. If you like Chord house sound, upgrade from H2 to TT2 worth every penny.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #6,079 of 12,974
How hard are these to drive? I'm hearing contradicting claims.

Not hard to drive. You can get them loud from a phone. But a good strong amp will give you the maximum performance
from the headphone. It does make a difference in the sound quality not so much the volume.

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #6,081 of 12,974
What amp/dac you guys like best with these headphones?

I was using a Feliks Audio Euforia until last week. That sounded great. A very harmonic Pairing.

But now i have upgraded to a HugoTT2 and that sounds even better.
Looking at selling my Euforia I think. The headamp of the Hugo is better to my ears
I have tryed the Chord Dave but i found it to harsch for my ears.

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #6,082 of 12,974
Anyone here own both the HEDD and the Empy? They seem to have a similar, even tonal balance, which I like. Just trying to decide which gets the last slot in my collection.

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #6,083 of 12,974
They're worlds apart.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #6,084 of 12,974
They're worlds apart.
On the low end yes I would agree, with the Empy having more impact and quantity. Mids and up both sound even. I didn’t get a chance to compare resolution though.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #6,085 of 12,974
On the low end yes I would agree, with the Empy having more impact and quantity. Mids and up both sound even. I didn’t get a chance to compare resolution though.
As starters, yes. However, the tradeoff of resolution for more bass-emphasis and in particular mid-bass, on paper seemed great. In practice, the quantity for quality was quite a bit of a let down. Just too much boom/bloat in that area with too poor resolution.

So it's a matter of your preference and what you're trying to complement with the rest of your stable.

IMO the Empyrean represents the poorest decision I've made regarding headphones barring perhaps the HD700.
Subjectively evaluating its value, sound quality, build, etc.

I would, without question, keep the Verite, add the HEDD, and forget about the Empyrean.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #6,086 of 12,974
As starters, yes. However, the tradeoff of resolution for more bass-emphasis and in particular mid-bass, on paper seemed great. In practice, the quantity for quality was quite a bit of a let down. Just too much boom/bloat in that area with too poor resolution.

So it's a matter of your preference and what you're trying to complement with the rest of your stable.

IMO the Empyrean represents the poorest decision I've made regarding headphones barring perhaps the HD700.
Subjectively evaluating its value, sound quality, build, etc.

I would, without question, keep the Verite, add the HEDD, and forgot about the Empyrean.
Gotta admit, I think overall, the Emperean have the best tonal balance among all of the TOTL headphones..... and I have pretty much heard them all. Even many that do not like some of the other characteristics of the Empy, love the tonal balance. Now, while the resolution may not be outstanding, for TOTL HP’s, again, they are very balanced, especially with the right amp and it pained me to give them up. In all honesty it has been tough to find overall headphones that beat them for what they do well. The HEDD may be the last shot.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #6,087 of 12,974
Gotta admit, I think overall, the Emperean have the best tonal balance among all of the TOTL headphones..... and I have pretty much heard them all. Even many that do not like some of the other characteristics of the Empy, love the tonal balance. Now, while the resolution may not be outstanding, for TOTL HP’s, again, they are very balanced, especially with the right amp and it pained me to give them up. In all honesty it has been tough to find overall headphones that beat them for what they do well. The HEDD may be the last shot.
Subjectivity at its finest. A ton love them and a ton find them mediocre.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #6,088 of 12,974
Subjectivity at its finest. A ton love them and a ton find them mediocre.
Subjectivity yes.......views above, my opinion. Although not my opinion.......like them or not they are a hit on the market!

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #6,089 of 12,974
Subjectivity yes.......views above, my opinion. Although not my opinion.......like them or not they are a hit on the market!
Indeed. And at the end of the day, if your ears are happy, that's all that matters. Everything else is just additional data points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back